New Years Eve at WinterFest

Imperial79

Ring in 2019 at Kings Island with a brand-new way to celebrate New Year’s Eve. Guests can enjoy the final day of WinterFest from 5:00 to 10:00 p.m., then celebrate the coming New Year from 10:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. This family-friendly event includes Midnight Fireworks, live music, Snoopy’s Rockin’ New Year’s Eve party, Charlie Brown’s New Year’s Eve Celebration show and family friendly activities.

That sounds like the NYE celebration is going to be a paid event and I am totally ok with that. I already CAN NOT WAIT!!!! 

4 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

That sounds like the NYE celebration is going to be a paid event and I am totally ok with that. I already CAN NOT WAIT!!!! 

Yeah. I thought it was weird that they split it up. I’d pay the up charge, although I might be occupied elsewhere that night....

The park hours are listed on the website as 5pm-1am on December 31, which seems to indicate that we won't see an upcharge for the event itself.

I take the split hours to mean that WinterFest activities end at 10pm, to be followed immediately by New Years Eve festivities.

• Like 5

This is exciting and likely all weather dependent for attendance.  Last year the high on NYE was 14 and low of 7 not to mention windchill and dusting of snow.  The last night of Winterfest last year had an abbreviated schedule with no rides running due to the extreme cold/snow.  Let’s hope this NYE temps stay in the 30s with no snow so everyone can enjoy the special activities.

• Like 1

Weather will not keep me from enjoying the festivities this year. Celebrating my 45th birthday at KI is going to be amazing with or without rides. Last time was 20 years ago at WDW.  If anyone knows, when was the last time KI was open on NYE. I would imagine sometime in the 80's or possible 90's PKI Winterfest but if anyone has an answer this is the forum to let it be answered.

• Like 5

I noticed the new footings on the edges of the midway by Backlot Stunt Coaster last night, and immediately thought that they were for added WinterFest stuff.  Sounds exciting!

Hopefully they will fix some of the burnt out lights/lights that are falling off the buildings in spots on International Street before Winterfest begins.

45 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I will likely be well below 32F at night, I can live without ice.    :lol:

In all fairness, most of the problem with ice has been that it’s so hot that it has melted in the machines. Hopefully as Fall and Winter approach it will be much less of an issue.

12 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Not so sure I accept that as an excuse.  Summer is hot, some days more than others but summer is prime operating season and the park needs to be prepared for that.  It is a problem even on mild days.   Supplying enough ice for the machines is a manpower or infrastructure issue not heat issue.  

The ones in Coney have ice machines on them.  They just can't operate when the building is well above room temperature.  

I do, however, agree that the fact that this was either unnoticed or unplanned for is entirely on the park.

I guess they have something up their sleeves for the 10p-12a timeframe.  

Assuming it's too cold for the rides (and let's be realistic - it will be) and if the live E ceases around 10:00 then that really leaves nothing to do for that timeframe.  

I'm going to assume that they have special stuff planned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upstop said:

For what it’s worth, here is a prediction for 2018 and El Niño weather. We appear to be in the very wet/cold band. I guess it’s the luck of the draw.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/07/31/2018-winter-weather-forecast-el-nino-or-la-nina/

Might want to take a look at the date for that as it is referencing last season. (Into the 2018 winter) :D