silver2005

Hello, Dolly!- silver2005's 2020 Southeast Trip

I haven’t done it but my wife says the Ripleys aquarium is well worth the price. I actually really liked the Titanic museum. They have a section where they let you feel how cold the water was when the ship sank to help put things into perspective on how horrible things were that night. 

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I haven’t done it but my wife says the Ripleys aquarium is well worth the price. I actually really liked the Titanic museum. They have a section where they let you feel how cold the water was when the ship sank to help put things into perspective on how horrible things were that night. 

Titanic museum was definitely really interesting.  My kids liked how they give you one of the passengers and along the way you can find out about them and what happened to them.  Would recommend a visit here to anyone for sure.

Just out of curiosity, with BGW and the changes the park has gone through, are they still in the category of best amusement park food?  

Cuz if they are, I'm kind of in love with their options.  

On 4/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

I’m not sure but maybe it’s priced right and I am just cheap?  I always look at how much time is this going to take me versus how much it cost. We are very a conservative family when it comes to spending. 

Goats on the roof was is overpriced in my opinion, Smoky Mountain Alpine would have been a better deal. I didn’t get to ride it because of weather. But looking at the rides and what they have to offer, the only thing GOTR has over SMAC is the fact that it has goats on a roof.

If you stay at the Dollywood Dreammore resort, you will get a complimentary time savor pass and a ride to the park where you enter through a side entrance near the measuring station and the path up to Thunderhead. Lightning Rod has been running consistent and open every day I have visited (10 visits so far). Hope you enjoy your trip, remember to eat two loaves of cinnamon bread while at the park.

Update-

1. Its taken me a bit long to look for a job (personal reasons), so I may have to cut out the Gatlinburg part entirely.  I will make up for it by doing Thrills in the Hills next summer.  Due to that, I may invert the trip and start with Carowinds and work my way back to VA (going from the furthest point and then making my way back to Cincy).   I may also be more likely to do either Carowinds' or KD's water park as well.

2.  I will be posting my Holiwood Nights and KK TR's here. 

Holiwood Nights and Kentucky Kingdom TR

So this was my first Holiwood Nights, and as such, I was given a lot of hype from it.  Not that I needed it since the reputation of the park and that event is pretty hard to miss or not acknowledge.  Been looking forward to it since I decided to do it. 

The first day was almost exclusively in Splashin' Safari.  Finally got the rest of the slides I missed from last time, and thanks to SS ERT, I got pa-lenty of rides on Wildebeest and Mammoth.  Mammoth's water is quite chilly, and the first day of HWN was the coolest.  The last time through Mammoth, I got some of the water jets spraying that ice cold water right up my back.  

For the first night of ERT, I finally got my first Raven night ride, which, definitely lived up to its reputation as being a really good night ride.  The infamous drop 5 just descends into a pitch black forest, making that wild finish even better.  

Then came what I'd like to dub roller coaster euphoria, my first trimless Voyage ride.  I got some night rides in on my previous visit, but this was my first go with the brakes switched off.  Unlike Son of Beast, Voyage does make up for its roughness with its speed.  Its incredible trimless.  So much so, that every time I rode it, I got a full blown adrenaline rush- all the symptoms checked off.  This shares the distinction along with Twister and Thunderhead as the only 3 wooden coasters that actually leave me breathless.  I had a huge smile on my face from the spaghetti bowl portion all the way up to the final brakes.  I definitely like Voyage a lot better after that, but since its main operating mode is with trims on, it won't be by that much (if it were trimless all the time, it'd be my #1 wood coaster).  Still, just WOW!

The 2nd day was more condensed with the walk backs and time actually being with the event.  The food was all pretty decent and all the staff were excellent.  I think it should be a thing where enthusiasts attending events should compliment all the employees involved on sight.  Holiday World has tremendous staff.   Got some decent photos (which I'll share time to time), but I have to say, by mid-way through day 2, I got pretty tired. My feet especially weren't fond of all the walking, especially with all the hills and stairs.  I'll either take it much easier next time I attend or just go only 1 day.  Once you've been after your first time, its not quite  a 2 day park.  

That Sunday, malem and I hit Kentucky Kingdom on the way back to Ohio.  I only really did it to grab my 115th credit (and 33rd wooden credit) in Kentucky Flyer (review at the end).  Got one ride on all the coasters (though, 2 on Thunder Run, which is running EXCELLENT this season).   Doing HW and KK back to back is a bit exhausting, especially with how intense each of their coaster line ups are.  Left Louisville a little after 3.   I'll definitely be checking out their water park next time around, though, hopefully they have things open because most of the slides that day weren't operating.  

Kentucky Flyer-  This was my first taste of Timberliners.  They are comfy for what they are, but they look over-engineered.  I think Gravity Group went a little overboard in creating them.  They also feel really stiff when they move through the course, even the smallest vibrations were really noticeable.  I also feel really indifferent about the restraints.   I prefer Millennium Flyers by a good bit.  The ride itself is quite good for being on the smaller side.  Good amount of air and laterals thrown everywhere and it goes through at a pretty good pace.  An overall good little wooden coaster.  

^I probably should have skipped on KK in all honesty.   With KK,  I'm okay with day tripping over HW because of the lack of time zone change and I can knock out KK in a few hours, though, with this trip, I had no will to do some of the flats I like at KK.  

Also update on the SE trip- I'm pushing it back to late July because in my community band, I'm the only lead sax, so I need to get to all the concerts and the last one is mid-July.  I'm a bit worried about the heat, but hopefully with a few more KI trips (and perhaps a Stricker's Grove Trip on 7/4, also contemplating a Coney Island visit), I'll be more used to the heat.  Also, I'm making it official that I'm cutting the Gatlinburg portion and doing Thrills in the Hills next summer. 

Bad news- I have to scratch this trip until next summer.  I am now in need of a new laptop which is going to limit my budget.  May do a short trip to CP instead since I have Platinum, or, just cut out Charlotte and Carowinds.