Jump to content
Oldiesmann

KI wins Golden Ticket Award for Best Kids' Area again

Recommended Posts

Not that this should surprise anyone, but KI has once again won the Golden Ticket Award for Best Kids' Area.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's now 18 years in a row!

Not many surprises this year; the biggest upset was Phoenix at Knoebels winning Best Wood Coaster for the first time. Steel Vengeance beat out Time Traveler, Twisted Timbers and Twisted Cyclone for Best New Ride.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've never really spent much time in the kids area... What is it that puts it at the top every year??? 

The amount of rides vs other parks. You can legitimately spend an entire day with children under 48" and have plenty to do at KI.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

At the rate things are going I could see KI getting that in 2020

At what rate are things going?  One season of slightly off attendance, or something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I am a bit surprised Mystic Timbers didn't break into the Top 10 woodies, given Kings Island seems to be a pretty popular park and in head-to-head comparisons it does fare pretty well versus Beast, which got ranked #5. I imagine it made the Top 15 but we won't know that until the full Top 50 get posted.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know these awards don't really mean much and we shouldn't put much stock in them but I do find it interesting that Kings Island and Cedar Point are the only parks with multiple top ten coasters with 2 and 3 respectively. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chuck norris said:


The amount of rides vs other parks. You can legitimately spend an entire day with children under 48" and have plenty to do at KI.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm - but CP has 17 family rides and 14 kiddie rides (total of 31 rides) that children under 48" (that means not the 48" rides for those keeping score) can ride; while KI has 7 family rides and 20 kiddie rides (total of 27 rides) for that same height requirement...and CP Snoopy areas have more shade!

But you are right, you can spend a whole day in KI Planet Snoopy because those lines are generally longer than Planet Snoopy lines in other CF parks :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, matt112986 said:

I know these awards don't really mean much and we shouldn't put much stock in them but I do find it interesting that Kings Island and Cedar Point are the only parks with multiple top ten coasters with 2 and 3 respectively. 

Diamondback has the best layout of all the hypers ever made- it uses the terrain to its advantage and has that splashdown ending. A lot of those coasters that are in the top 10 for steel and wood incorporate terrain in some type of way. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Hmmm - but CP has 17 family rides and 14 kiddie rides (total of 31 rides) that children under 48" (that means not the 48" rides for those keeping score) can ride; while KI has 7 family rides and 20 kiddie rides (total of 27 rides) for that same height requirement...and CP Snoopy areas have more shade!

But you are right, you can spend a whole day in KI Planet Snoopy because those lines are generally longer than Planet Snoopy lines in other CF parks :P

CP doesn’t stand a chance with that award.  They don’t have one big kids area, they have 3 smaller ones.:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

CP doesn’t stand a chance with that award.  They don’t have one big kids area, they have 3 smaller ones.:D

Kiddie Kingdom looks like a traveling carnival

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

CP doesn’t stand a chance with that award.  They don’t have one big kids area, they have 3 smaller ones.:D

Oh I know CP won't win that award - for the same reason Disney doesn't:P

Awards are subjective...and sometimes other thing$ influence selections...and this one is no exception...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Diamondback has the best layout of all the hypers ever made- it uses the terrain to its advantage and has that splashdown ending. A lot of those coasters that are in the top 10 for steel and wood incorporate terrain in some type of way. 

Imagine for a moment how great it could have been if it truly "slithered through the woods of Rivertown" as its promotional tagline claimed... rather than the meadows it currently sits on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BloodBlade21 said:

Imagine for a moment how great it could have been if it truly "slithered through the woods of Rivertown" as its promotional tagline claimed... rather than the meadows it currently sits on

Well it does but when you construct a coaster, you have to cut down trees to make room for equipment and such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Well it does but when you construct a coaster, you have to cut down trees to make room for equipment and such. 

You mean like how they took out the train and White Water Canyon to build Mystic Timbers:P

If they wanted to save trees, they could have...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Fury being on top to not be too contentious. Its my #1, Maverick is my #2. 

Mystic Timbers should honestly be very near the Top 10.... its my favorite ride in the park. 

No surprise that Kings Island, which has a kids area with the size and staffing of a small amusment park, won best kids area again this year. 

Phoenix being #1 surprised me a little but its deserved. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

CP doesn’t stand a chance with that award.  They don’t have one big kids area, they have 3 smaller ones.:D

Just heard there's going to be an award for "Best Kids Parks".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Hmmm - but CP has 17 family rides and 14 kiddie rides (total of 31 rides) that children under 48" (that means not the 48" rides for those keeping score) can ride; while KI has 7 family rides and 20 kiddie rides (total of 27 rides) for that same height requirement...and CP Snoopy areas have more shade!

But you are right, you can spend a whole day in KI Planet Snoopy because those lines are generally longer than Planet Snoopy lines in other CF parks :P

I'm surprised Seuss Landing at IOA isn't more competitive.  Also, one could argue that Planet Snoopy at KD is as good or better.  It has much of the same stuff but is very wooded and has things like water features.  Ours has a little more hardware but it's a concrete jungle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...