Skeleton Key Experience

TheBeast54

There are no Skeleton Key rooms this year. 

In prior years, the general idea was that one scareactor in the room would talk for a bit, then something would happen and the participants would go from that room into the main maze:

Slaughterhouse had Sam the butcher with a large animal carcass. One year I went through another scareactor burst out of the carcass with a chainsaw at the end, last year one of the participants was chosen to dig through rubber organs inside the carcass to unlock the door instead. 

Madame Fatale's featured a room with shelves of aquariums containing snakes. At the end of the story, the lights went out and rubber snakes dropped down from the ceiling around everyone. 

Sorority House had participants eat or drink something mildly strange as a "hazing ritual."

Urgent Scare chose one participant to climb into a casket and be sent into the "crematory furnace."

Backwoods Bayou required participants to feel around the dark room until someone found the key to be let out. 

The Viewing was different than the other rooms in that it wasn't connected to a maze. It was laid out as a funeral viewing in the front hallway of the KI theater, and there were several objects around the room that could help fill in several "blanks" in the story of the recently deceased. There was a whiteboard with his story, and the goal was to fill in a dozen or so little pieces of trivia about him, and it had to be done in a ridiculously short amount of time (about twice as much of the time was used explaining the game than was given to solve). I spoke to the woman running the room last year and even though they took groups in about every five minutes every Haunt night, she had only had a couple groups actually win by completing the story, ever. There was no prize if a group did, either. 

I never purchased a Skeleton Key. The experience sounds interesting, but not interesting enough to warrant spending the extra money. 

I find it a little odd that there was never a prize for such a complicated game on The Viewing. They could have offered a "Skip to the Front" pass for a random ride or at the very least, a voucher for the Jelly of the Month club. :D 

• Haha 1

I know! The fear I was missing out on some cool prize was the reason I got into that conversation, and found out how terribly rare it was for anyone to even win. Even something like a small certificate of completion would have made somebody like me happy and cost them next to nothing, but as rarely as it happened they could have had a fairly pricey prize and barely notice the cost. It was both disappointing and relieving (because we had already lost) to find out there was no prize.

I seem to remember another Skeleton Key room a couple years ago had one person root around in the (false) hollow abdomen of a scareactor, looking for a key to get out of the room. It almost had to have been Kill Mart.

I'm going to dig out my maps from the last couple years to see if I missed any others. (Edit: nope, that's all of them)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I know! The fear I was missing out on some cool prize was the reason I got into that conversation, and found out how terribly rare it was for anyone to even win. Even something like a small certificate of completion would have made somebody like me happy and cost them next to nothing, but as rarely as it happened they could have had a fairly pricey prize and barely notice the cost. It was both disappointing and relieving (because we had already lost) to find out there was no prize.

I seem to remember another Skeleton Key room a couple years ago had one person root around in the (false) hollow abdomen of a scareactor, looking for a key to get out of the room. It almost had to have been Kill Mart.

I'm going to dig out my maps from the last couple years to see if I missed any others. (Edit: nope, that's all of them)

It was Kill Mart, and it had cooked spaghetti that you were trying to find the key in.

On 9/10/2018 at 4:57 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

Slaughterhouse had Sam the butcher with a large animal carcass. One year I went through another scareactor burst out of the carcass with a chainsaw at the end, last year one of the participants was chosen to dig through rubber organs inside the carcass to unlock the door instead. 

And don't forget those organs were slippery little things too.... Sam liked to keep those lubed up!

On 9/10/2018 at 6:39 AM, Joshua said:

... or at the very least, a voucher for the Jelly of the Month club. :D 

That's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year!

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings on the Skeleton Key experiences.

In Sorority House having a person "disappear" and rejoin the group was novel, but honestly in the confusion of actually going through the house no one seemed to notice when one person was gone until they reappeared.  

"Incinerating" an infected patient in Urgent Scare probably would have worked better if they didn't rejoin the group in the next room.

In Kill Mart they had you reach into spaghetti the first year, which was a trick done a million times over.  They changed it afterwards but two different times that I did it the actors weren't ready when we came in, so it kind of ruined the scare.

The one for Madam Fatale with the snakes was good but had nothing to do with the theme.

The Slaughter House one was the first one I ever did.  I had no idea what to expect.  When the chainsaw guys appeared and the girl I was with disappeared - only to be found in a fetal position in the corner - it may have been the best Haunt moment I'd ever had.

• Like 1