Sign in to follow this  
Leland Wykoff

Disney Imagineer Criticizes What Has Become of Disneyland

This is a very interesting read about the Disney and WED designer Rolly Crump--creator of Its A Small World exterior among other Disneyland features--and his view of the modern "Stroller park" of today.  This story touches on design integrity, place making, visionary leadership, courage and convictions, along with insights into how some of the famous and lasting Disneyland features came to be.  Worth the read.  Enjoy!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-ms-rolly-crump-20180907-story.html#nws=mcnewsletter

He's absolutely right. The uniqueness of the attractions has been muddied with the corporate icons smacked all over them. It's a Small World has Disney characters throughout the attraction now, and most new attractions are based on TV shows and movies. They just don't seem to have a personal touch anymore. It has changed drastically since I first went to the park in 1979.

I was expecting another story about how the Disney parks today do not reflect Walt and I was pleasantly surprised.

Movie and TV based attractions have had a place at Disney since opening day.  Walt Disney always used his TV shows to promote the parks, and had the park reflect major projects from the studios.  I am not a fan of the additions to it's a small world, but I have a very hard time believing that Walt would have an issue with much of what the company does today.  He was a businessman and the parks were a reflection of the times, and it feels like they still are today. 

I just wish Disney would build unique rides not based on any theme more frequently, because attractions like Expedition Everest and Mystic Manor are amazing.