Coney Mall Concept 2022

kingsislandaddict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMiJMERoKws

The New Coney Mall For Kings Island's 50th anniversary, Kings Island will be restoring Coney Mall to its original glory. With 8 new experiences, the renovation will improve all aspects of Coney Mall. Additions include:

1. -Racer Refurbishment, The Racer will be retracked to ensure a smooth ride for the years to come, repainting of the entire structure and track, as well as a new light package.
  2. -Hang Glider, one of two new flat rides, being a Gerstlauer Sky Fly.
  3. -Ferris Wheel, a classic fairground staple.
  4. -Skyride, a quick way to go to either side of Coney Mall with a great view.
  5. -The Kings Island Museum, a space dedicated for Kings Island's history and exclusive park construction photos from 1972.
  6. -Coney Treats, a new quick service restaurant with Coke products, Skyline Chili options, and pretzels.
  7. -Games, With the former KillMart building being demolished for Hang Glider, the other games and arcade building is getting an overhaul. KillMart will be moved and updated to behind the Games section, and a New Arcade is being put in on the other half of this massive building.
  8. -Monster Refurbishment, The Monster is being replaced with a new model, complete with an LED Package and a vibrant color scheme.

Disclaimers: This project was made prior to the Kings Mills Antique Autos announcement, which is where Coney Drinks and the Ferris Wheel are located, both of which will not be possible anymore. This video is only a concept, meaning there are no rumors or signs that any of this is going to happen.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, silver2005 said:

How about slapping 2 pairs of Millennium Flyers on Racer so we can bring back recaR (GCI confirmed they can go backwards)?

Also, re-track the pre-lift section so the trains actually meet evenly at the lifts.  Red always seems to beat blue to the chain.

The PTC's can still go backwards if they want now. They choose to no longer do so.  

• Like 3

I normally scoff at excessive effort spent on things like this... that YouTube was pretty good.  Like the concepts.

2 of the 8 have a shot at happening: Racer and Monster refurb.

The museum is a good concept... the skyride would be a nice touch to tie in the historic aspect of Coney.  I don't see either happening though.

• Thanks 1

The PTC's can still go backwards if they want now. They choose to no longer do so.  

The current trains on Racer were never designed to run backwards, that is why they will not be turned around again due to recommendations by PTC, but I do know of a set of compatible trains that are currently orphaned that can run backwards.

BTW, did someone say gondolas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

The current trains on Racer were never designed to run backwards, that is why they will not be turned around again due to recommendations by PTC, but I do know of a set of compatible trains that are currently orphaned that can run backwards.

Six Flags has operated PTC trains, as well as several other types of trains, backwards in recent years. Kings Island has explicitly stated several times, including during Coasterstock Q&A, that they could run the current trains backwards if they wanted to.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

As @malem stated, this has been public knowledge. I have spoke to the park many times about this when it becomes a topic of discussion on here.  They were turned around because CF wanting to do so, not because they had to.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, malem said:

Six Flags has operated PTC trains, as well as several other types of trains, backwards in recent years. Kings Island has explicitly stated several times, including during Coasterstock Q&A, that they could run the current trains backwards if they wanted to.

I saw the Coasterstock 2018 Q&A with Mike Koontz on YouTube, and I think he said that the PTC trains weren't designed to go backwards if I remember correctly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

I normally scoff at excessive effort spent on things like this... that YouTube was pretty good.  Like the concepts.

You scoff at people having a skill/interest and spending the time doing something they presumably enjoy?

The concept looks great. I'd love a Sky Ride down the mall, and I'm digging the new paint scheme on Monster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:
As [mention=6611]malem[/mention] stated, this has been public knowledge. I have spoke to the park many times about this when it becomes a topic of discussion on here.  They were turned around because CF wanting to do so, not because they had to.

5 hours ago, malem said:

To note, the earlier PTC trains were not designed to run backwards, the later versions had the ability to run backwards from the factory.

Let's hear it from Mike himself...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Where is the profit in that?   You would make a terrible Ferengi.  

I'm sort of glad I'd make a terrible one.

They couldn't be making that much money of those arcade games. I've seen one person playing those things. Can we even consider that an arcade?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just saw the video and I like (most of) what I see! I really like the Skyride and Racer re-do; that Skyride fits perfectly down Coney and is a nod to the original Skyride. While a Ferris Wheel could work, it wouldn't be able to go in that spot for obvious reasons (which I know is in the video description ;)) and I think I'd rather see one in Oktoberfest (unless it's like Giant Wheel, then put it in Coney Mall!). The Gliders look cool, but I think they may fit better in either X-Base or Action Zone and in its place could be a Tilt-a-Whirl, perhaps. Finally, would Monster be getting a new actual ride (like, another Monster to replace ours) or just a new paint job? It's hard to tell as the ride that as put doesn't seem to match up exactly (I know that not every ride type may not be available in No Limits 2). However, if it were to get a new paint job, I would love to see orange and black with green accents, similar to Scarecrow Scrambler at Holiday World.

TLDR: Great concept, but I would personally do some things differently.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Resurrecting an older thread: I made a master plan concept of Coney Mall. This is just speculation and nothing from the park, but here are some of the things I chose to do:

1) a skyride is added that starts from the front end of Coney Mall and ends at the back end.

2) a new flat ride is placed near Juke Box Diner in front of Backlot Stunt Coaster

3) The Woodstock Gliders are relocated back to where the original gliders were and are renamed back to Flying Eagles (a new splash pad is placed where the gliders are currently)

4) a new coaster with a speed car/automobile theme (think Lightning Rod at Dollywood) is added where Vortex was. It's either an RMC or Mack multi launch

5) Skyline Chili is replaced with a new restaurant themed to Coney Mall

6) the killmart building is torn down and replaced with a Kings Island history museum that has exhibits that are easy to remove so that they can turn the building into a haunt building for haunt. 

7) the Coney Mall sign returns with a new look

8) the entrance to Rivertown is pushed back a bit to make Backlot Stunt Coaster a part of Coney Mall. 

Here's the concept using Google Maps:

2020-10-28_13.05.13.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Resurrecting an older thread: I made a master plan concept of Coney Mall. This is just speculation and nothing from the park, but here are some of the things I chose to do:

1) a skyride is added that starts from the front end of Coney Mall and ends at the back end.

2) a new flat ride is placed near Juke Box Diner in front of Backlot Stunt Coaster

3) The Woodstock Gliders are relocated back to where the original gliders were and are renamed back to Flying Eagles (a new splash pad is placed where the gliders are currently)

4) a new coaster with a speed car/automobile theme (think Lightning Rod at Dollywood) is added where Vortex was. It's either an RMC or Mack multi launch

5) Skyline Chili is replaced with a new restaurant themed to Coney Mall

6) the killmart building is torn down and replaced with a Kings Island history museum that has exhibits that are easy to remove so that they can turn the building into a haunt building for haunt. 

7) the Coney Mall sign returns with a new look

8) the entrance to Rivertown is pushed back a bit to make Backlot Stunt Coaster a part of Coney Mall. 

I like these ideas!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Here is a new update for Coney Mall in an expansion for 2027/2028 that I created, pieced together some good ideas from this site.

1. In lime a new Skyride. 

2. In light blue, SR&R is moved down farther closer to WindSeeker.

3. In green a Ferris Wheel/another flat ride is added here or a stand to sell things, since the stand is gone at the entrance at Coney Mall it could be moved here. 

4. The white part is where the path will be extended.

5.  In orange, a new restaurant, Coney Cafe is put here where KillMart is now. Seating outside behind it to watch The Racer and Orion would be nice, and seating inside. 

6. In yellow is where the new KillMart building will go. 

Screenshot (289).png

• Like 2