Kings Island Removing an Attraction?

BoddaH1994

23 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

I thought board to death was a haunt attraction, ave this were the years it existed. I don't think there is any link to its placement near the ceremony... Other than perhaps it is more recent than some of the other tombstone references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true. I forgot about that. 

6 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

If that were the case, I doubt they would take the stance of, "well, we just got rid of it without letting you know, but if you really love it just go to Kentucky Kingdom". 

Have to agree with this, especially since KK is a competitor park. Also, I don't think KK would purchase a handmedown with maintenance problems if that's the case of Firehawk's removal, since my guess is that it would be more of an issue at an independent park in regards to attendance and money.

• Like 3

Have to agree with this, especially since KK is a competitor park. Also, I don't think KK would purchase a handmedown with maintenance problems if that's the case of Firehawk's removal, since my guess is that it would be more of an issue at an independent park in regards to attendance and money.

KK doesn’t have the cash flow KI does and they’ve had other second-hand coasters.
  • Like 2

Okay so this may be nothing but it's something I noticed, all the other tombstones around are flat on the front with nothing too special, just the text of the ride or person. But as you can see SOB's name engraving is on an inlay, that is like it's inside, not flat like the rest of the tombstones. Personally as a woodworking kid, that inlay looks suspiciously removable. Like it's meant to be removed, and if memory serves me, this inlay to the tombstone is new. I clearly remember years past that it was just flat with SOB on it like the rest of the tombstones, kinda odd that it looks removable, appears to be new that it might be removable, and is right behind the new gravestone. Might I also mention it seems super off that they're going to all this scale for an appearant ride removal, like the barrel filled with an oil like substance pumping it onto the statue all day long, plus lighting, and all the Outpost 5 symbols popping up everywhere this year, and on the tombstones of rides that closed in 1979. Who knows what they're looking up.

Screenshot_20180922-134245.png

Screenshot_20180922-124931.png

Screenshot_20180922-124939.png

Screenshot_20180922-121255.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JubJester said:

@Bwb.32 They have always been around. There may be a few more, because they just love messing with the people who believe Son of Beast is returning. I think the Son of Beast thing should be put to rest.

No no, like the tombstones of rides and people who left in 1979, we're all newly and specifically marked this year, sure theyve marked tombstones before, but, this was a new thing, a planned thing, to mark every single ride or person gone in 1979 with the symbol, what we could be seeing here is an overarching story around the parks "cryptids" as they're called, similar to the story aspects were seeing at other parks in the chain!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bwb.32 said:

No no, like the tombstones of rides and people who left in 1979, we're all newly and specifically marked this year, sure theyve marked tombstones before, but, this was a new thing, a planned thing, to mark every single ride or person gone in 1979 with the symbol, what we could be seeing here is an overarching story around the parks "cryptids" as they're called, similar to the story aspects were seeing at other parks in the chain!

English Bro'. What do YOU think is coming and going at Kings Island?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Did you not see that he JUST attended a funeral? He’s going through a lot. Isn’t even sure who’s going in the ground. Give him some slack.

Lol typo, I meant "who knows what they're cooking up" I'm just thinking out loud, it seems odd that a these things are piling onto the rumors of Firehawk's removal, and SOB return 

• Like 1

“The Guessing Game” and Vortex in the same picture could be construed as a clue. Seems like that guy likes to have a little fun with Twitter around the park but has never really said anything groundbreaking or with any real substance.

Try FB. Lol

11a9eb17bf54785a34987793ffd986e7.png05a0d078fd075faedf73036190b8ba7b.png

Question: What is unique to Kings Island?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Melody said:

^^ I hope it is Drop Tour.... 

EDIT: The colors red yellow and black also match it hmmmm

All the colors match, red, yellow, black, white, gray, pruple, even where there's the single purple flower in the grey, purple meets grey on the ride tower, and orange is in yellow, because yellow meets orange on the tower, my only way to find green is that the actually grave covering on the ground is substantially lime green like, but it's very very much matching up color wise

• Like 1

I remember when the park did something similar back in 2015 when they teased that something from 1972 was being removed for 2016. Many thought it was The Racer, but it turned out to be the old toll booths out front for the new north entrance.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/08/18/whats-next-kings-island-announcement-planned/31954197/

Perhaps it's not a ride or something inside the park that'sgoing to be gone.

What's big and outside of the park?

My guess is that maybe it's the parking lot sign and here's why...

"The winds are eerily calm..."

On September 27, 2003, the original parking lot marquee fell over in a windstorm https://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/kings-island-sign-collapses-overnight

If the winds are eerily calm, the sign might be getting removed or receiving a serious facelift by the park rather than a sudden accident requiring the replacement. 

"... the ill fated demise of one of our own." 

Now this is something interesting. Perhaps the words on the little sign near the funeral scene was not referring to one of the park's own attractions, but rather the park is playing around with the idea that the sign is referring to itself and "one of it's own" is going away. 

That's just my theory. Usually if an attraction is going away then the park announces it ahead of its closure in order for fans to get their last rides in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bwb.32 said:

All the colors match, red, yellow, black, white, gray, pruple, even where there's the single purple flower in the grey, purple meets grey on the ride tower, and orange is in yellow, because yellow meets orange on the tower, my only way to find green is that the actually grave covering on the ground is substantially lime green like, but it's very very much matching up color wise

I'm also going to meantion that "an ill fated demise" would match too seeing as It's been a maintenance nightmare lately, starting last season it was continually down as something was happening with the drop mechanics, leading to failed drops, or not dropping at all, over the course of winterfest last season, there was a long costly repair done by intamin to resolve this issue, but unfortunately this season it has continued to be a problem, so my best guess, it that KI sees that this may be too costly to fix, compared to simply removing the ride.

• Like 2

I must have missed when those ridership numbers for 2012-2014 were originally posted.  If Vortex is still pulling anywhere close to 1 million riders per year (and I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be) I think there is very low chance it would be the ride being removed. 

For a long time now, the metric of "cost per rider" has been one that has been rumored to be an important evaluation number.  It's not the only factor obviously, and we don't know the maintenance costs, so it is only one piece of the puzzle.  I would think Backlot and Flight of Fear would be closer to their "end of life" than Vortex is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Try FB. Lol

11a9eb17bf54785a34987793ffd986e7.png05a0d078fd075faedf73036190b8ba7b.png

Question: What is unique to Kings Island?

If we are taking the 10/28/2018 to be the date of the announcement and not just the final day of operations then this is confirmation it is not a coaster.  If the park was going to announce final rides I would think it would have done it at the start of Haunt or worst case very soon.

Would the park have the same consideration for a flat ride?  Although that is a pretty short list, Drop Tower and Congo Falls are the only two that stand out to me as possibilities, Drop Tower feels more likely.

There are a handful of other options around the park, like the big box and Timberwolf.

This is starting to feel like the parking lot toll booths.

• Like 2

It's probably nothing, or only has internal meaning, but...

I noticed from the brake run of Diamondback that there are bright red symbols on the back of a couple of the tombstones out there in the field. They look a bit like a letter "H" only with the horizontal line extra long, beyond the vertical ones. They appeared to be possibly made with three strips of reflective tape.

The symbols are on the side of the tombstones opposite the mock funeral, so they apparently aren't meant to be seen, and are only visible there from the brake run. 

I can't think of anything offhand that the letter "H" would mean, tho. Doubt it's Hanks ;)

• Like 1

...I would think Backlot and Flight of Fear would be closer to their "end of life" than Vortex is.

BLST is much newer than the other 2 coasters. I suspect FoF will last longer than most coasters, as it isn’t constantly exposed to the elements. There has to be a limit on its wear and tear since it’s inside.

5 hours ago, Kenban said:

If we are taking the 10/28/2018 to be the date of the announcement and not just the final day of operations then this is confirmation it is not a coaster.

Or, conversely, if 10/28 is the final day of operation for the ride, this would be confirmation that it is a coaster.

• Like 1

My guess is, the park will tell people soon if its a coaster or a flat ride, that we might miss, probably within a week.  Cedar Point let their fans know ahead of time with Witches Wheel and Mean Streak leaving.  

When was the last time a ride left Kings Island?   Did they alert everyone about last rides to it?

• Like 4