Kings Island Removing an Attraction?

BoddaH1994

1 hour ago, KIghostguy said:

Or, conversely, if 10/28 is the final day of operation for the ride, this would be confirmation that it is a coaster.

I have no idea how you come to that conclusion.  All I see is that we would receive a warning so people could get last rides in.  Since that warning has not occured we do not know it is a coaster.

• Like 1

I have no idea how you come to that conclusion.  All I see is that we would receive a warning so people could get last rides in.  Since that warning has not occured we do not know it is a coaster.

We can’t entirely rule it out either. This could be one of those deals where something will be gone for a season for improvements and be back in 2020.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fyrfyter said:

We can’t entirely rule it out either. This could be one of those deals where something will be gone for a season for improvements and be back in 2020.

All I said is that we do not know it is a coaster.  I did not rule anything out.  It could be anything at this point in time.

My guess is that it is Firehawk and I suspect it will be ripped apart and headed for scrap.

• Like 2

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/kings-island-hints-a-major-coaster-coming-down

^ Nothing new, just telling the story. Has a link to KIC.

My favorite part:

The only thing certain right now is that Kings Island is running an amazing marketing machine. How else can a park send coaster enthusiasts into a frenzy with hints that it will be tearing down a coaster at the end of the the season.

An amazing marketing machine? You mean the same one that failed so greatly across the chain in the early season that it may or may not be directly responsible for the removal of this ride? Yeah, it sure is fine tuned.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Probably not, but could be Vortex.  I haven't waited longer than 5 minutes at any time in the last decade, it's been about as long since it has received a coat of paint, and you can see rust-like colors on the bottom supports from The Beast line.  Plus. it is a marquee location with great visibility for a large- something.  

As a side note, as a 30+ year old steel coaster exposed to the elements 24/7/365- how much longer does it have?  There are a lot of Arrow coasters out there of that age and older still operating- but the herd is thinning.

• Like 1

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/kings-island-hints-a-major-coaster-coming-down
^ Nothing new, just telling the story. Has a link to KIC.
My favorite part:
The only thing certain right now is that Kings Island is running an amazing marketing machine. How else can a park send coaster enthusiasts into a frenzy with hints that it will be tearing down a coaster at the end of the the season.
An amazing marketing machine? You mean the same one that failed so greatly across the chain in the early season that it may or may not be directly responsible for the removal of this ride? Yeah, it sure is fine tuned.

I've been in and out for a little while, so I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "failure." Anything specific, or just several dropped balls?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

Probably not, but could be Vortex.  I haven't waited longer than 5 minutes at any time in the last decade, it's been about as long since it has received a coat of paint, and you can see rust-like colors on the bottom supports from The Beast line.  Plus. it is a marquee location with great visibility for a large- something.  

As a side note, as a 30+ year old steel coaster exposed to the elements 24/7/365- how much longer does it have?  There are a lot of Arrow coasters out there of that age and older still operating- but the herd is thinning.

The article says Vortex is 20 years old and the media is never wrong:P

7 minutes ago, WailsLikeABanshee said:

I've been in and out for a little while, so I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "failure." Anything specific, or just several dropped balls?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Long story short: Sevear decline in attendance through July 4 prompted several budget cuts, including the CEO Richard Zimmerman saying on the conference call that they’d explore the idea of removing some rides.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

How did it fail? Am I not remembering something?

• Like 2

uh oh...

Declining attendance.  Budget cuts.  Ride removals.  Only 11 (of 12) chairs for the funeral...  Crap; I've seen this one before.  Weren't they trying to "right-size" Geauga Lake before killing it?  According to Wikipedia (the #1 source for all accurate information...)- Cedar Fair has 12 "dry" parks- if you count Gilroy Gardens...  

So... 11 chairs.  Funeral for one.  "it's big.  It's gone." 

RIP KI.  Maybe we can get discounts to local destinations in lieu of those purchased 2019 Season Passes.

(Sarcasm just doesn't translate well on a computer screen)

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, JubJester said:

How did it fail? Am I not remembering something?

Referencing this:

18 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Long story short: Sevear decline in attendance through July 4 prompted several budget cuts, including the CEO Richard Zimmerman saying on the conference call that they’d explore the idea of removing some rides.

• Like 2

The SOB references have been part of Haunt decorations for the past handful of years. 

It seems weird to me that there are news sources saying "the park has announced" yet a curious lack of that actual announcement on any of their official channels thus far. Unless you count Chad Showalter retweeting the news station saying it, but on his personal account not the @KingsIslandPR

• Like 3

The SOB references have been part of Haunt decorations for the past handful of years. 
It seems weird to me that there are news sources saying "the park has announced" yet a curious lack of that actual announcement on any of their official channels thus far. Unless you count Chad Showalter retweeting the news station saying it, but on his personal account not the @KingsIslandPR

They posted on their Facebook page that they’re removing a coaster, and will name it later this week. Also on their Instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JubJester said:

@Magenta Lizard I thought it was strange that they were the first to break the news as well. It looks like they sent them the news with a video this morning. 

@BoddaH1994 Thanks for clearing that up. I was a little bit confused. I don't think it's the main reason by far for the drop in attendance this year.

I’m not sure if I’m reading your post correctly. The decline in attendance was a whole other discussion, and everyone has their theories.

The removal of this ride comes swiftly after the CEO’s comments about removing less popular and problematic rides to save money. I guarantee you that the park will claim that this was the plan all along, but they are trying to save face. We will never know the full truth. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

My guess is, the park will tell people soon if its a coaster or a flat ride, that we might miss, probably within a week.  Cedar Point let their fans know ahead of time with Witches Wheel and Mean Streak leaving.  

When was the last time a ride left Kings Island?   Did they alert everyone about last rides to it?

Yes. Flying Eagles had a farewell party, and if it is a coaster, edit: news travels fast...

• Like 1

Fluctuating attendance is an ebb/flow.  A robust economy means the local population is more mobile.  I know of a of families who traveled extensively over the summer and didn't get KI Passes for the first time in years because of it.  I know of seven families representing 31 people in just my tiny sphere that this referred to.  If they averaged 15 visits over the summer (likely more) that's 465 times the gate didn't click.  If the average spend/person was $7/visit (i don't know if that's high or low), that is close to $6,000 (including season pass $$) that didn't go to KI.  

If 100 people share a similar story- then you have over 45,000 people missing from the park that would have been there and about $600,000 missing from the coffers.  Simple math, I know, but it illustrates a story.

• Like 2