Kings Island Removing an Attraction?

BoddaH1994

12 minutes ago, Daniellep82 said:

I'm gonna say its Adventure Express..sadly it was alot of peoples first coaster...but...rules of buisness...bigger and better...and the coney island part of park is shrinking making way for " newer ride" I read antique cars are coming back ?  My second chose would be stunt coaster.its always broke down....I mean always.i love the ride...similar to maverick in my eyes..but a ride is no good if it's not running

You had me until you insulted Maverick.  :lol:

• Like 3

So i quickly highlighted some things for my prediction. If they were to remove The Vortex, in red, they could place the station for a new coaster (Giga?) there and take it out and around the end of The Racer, in the yellow area, if they did not want it to interact with The Beast (obviously not saying a new coaster would all of that area). Another reason i believe this would be a likely option is i marked the main walkways in the area in green. With putting the station to a new coaster where The Vortex currently is puts the station on the " main loop" of the park's pathway. As you can see, and already know, the path that leads to Firehawk dead ends. If this is related to the rumored 2020 project i do not see them placing a possible world record breaking coaster (Giga?) at the end of a dead end path? Just some thoughts, hope my explanation makes sense.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

So i quickly highlighted some things for my prediction. If they were to remove The Vortex, in red, they could place the station for a new coaster (Giga?) there and take it out and around the end of The Racer, in the yellow area, if they did not want it to interact with The Beast (obviously not saying a new coaster would all of that area). Another reason i believe this would be a likely option is i marked the main walkways in the area in green. With putting the station to a new coaster where The Vortex currently is puts the station on the " main loop" of the park's pathway. As you can see, and already know, the path that leads to Firehawk dead ends. If this is related to the rumored 2020 project i do not see them placing a possible world record breaking coaster (Giga?) at the end of a dead end path? Just some thoughts, hope my explanation makes sense.
Untitled.thumb.jpg.10e59166e976462df4ffe09920bf79ce.jpg

I’ve always thought a dive coaster would be better suited in Vortex’s location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Don't overthink this.

KI has added a restaurant to Coney, and is adding a family attraction to Coney (not to mention sprucing up the lighting packages of several flats in recent seasons)  Add in the B&M2020 project that was on the permit forms and all signs point to this happening in and around coney.  Given age and/or maintenance issues, Firehawk and Vortex are the obvious choices.  With DA alive area opening up the Que could be anywhere; doesn't have to be back in X-base and therefor doesn't have to be at a dead end.  Or, they could re-purpose some of the maintence building and with the removal of DA, add in a loop that would connect X-base with the old DA cut thru of The Racer.

At any rate, talk of them removing any ride (or I guess coaster now) outside of Coney isn't going to happen, not this season at least.  While many bemoan the Stunt coaster, it fills a huge market for them in the smaller, not so scary family coaster; I doubt that is going away, so that leaves us The Racer (ain't happening), FoF, Vortex or Firehawk.

My only note of Vortex is to ignore the "short" lines that machine is a people eater, always was.  Even when the lines would extend past the start of the fence area next to the retaining wall, the lines always moved quickly.  IIRC, the start of that fence meant you were only 15 min away from getting on the ride.  Can't ride Vortex much anymore, but I'm a huge fan; I love Firehawk and FoF as well, Firehawk might be my favorite ride in the park, so no matter what, its a sad day in coaster world, but I can only imagine that 2020 is going to be well worth it.

• Like 8

IMO we dont need a dive coaster not a big fan of those tbh, just go up to Cp if you want to ride one thats what I do lol.

Did I say we were getting one? I’m just saying it would be a good location if it were to happen later. The coaster being removed is more than likely Firehawk.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, medford said:

My only note of Vortex is to ignore the "short" lines that machine is a people eater, always was.  Even when the lines would extend past the start of the fence area next to the retaining wall, the lines always moved quickly.  IIRC, the start of that fence meant you were only 15 min away from getting on the ride.  Can't ride Vortex much anymore, but I'm a huge fan; I love Firehawk and FoF as well, Firehawk might be my favorite ride in the park, so no matter what, its a sad day in coaster world, but I can only imagine that 2020 is going to be well worth it.

A Vortex line extending all the way to Juke Box Diner is only a 30 minute wait if you have a good crew. And I measured that time back when they used the switchbacks in the station. It's probably even less now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zayzayd13 said:

Did I say we were getting one? I’m just saying it would be a good location if it were to happen later. The coaster being removed is more than likely Firehawk.

NO I never said that you said that we are getting one, just stating my opinion. Thats all :D  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

A Vortex line extending all the way to Juke Box Diner is only a 30 minute wait if you have a good crew. And I measured that time back when they used the switchbacks in the station. It's probably even less now.

That sounds about right, I think when it extended back to where Zephyr is, the wait was about an hour IIRC.

If all coasters ate people as efficiently as Vortex and Banshee, there would be 0 need for a fast pass.

Someone once posted pictures on here of the symbols they painted on the blacktop to give you an idea of where the line for Vortex, The Beast and Flight Commander were.

• Like 1

Don't overthink this.
KI has added a restaurant to Coney, and is adding a family attraction to Coney (not to mention sprucing up the lighting packages of several flats in recent seasons)  Add in the B&M2020 project that was on the permit forms and all signs point to this happening in and around coney.  Given age and/or maintenance issues, Firehawk and Vortex are the obvious choices.  With DA alive area opening up the Que could be anywhere; doesn't have to be back in X-base and therefor doesn't have to be at a dead end.  Or, they could re-purpose some of the maintence building and with the removal of DA, add in a loop that would connect X-base with the old DA cut thru of The Racer.
At any rate, talk of them removing any ride (or I guess coaster now) outside of Coney isn't going to happen, not this season at least.  While many bemoan the Stunt coaster, it fills a huge market for them in the smaller, not so scary family coaster; I doubt that is going away, so that leaves us The Racer (ain't happening), FoF, Vortex or Firehawk.

Spot on with my thinking. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the new Bathrooms where Firehawk is and connecting the old DA entrance to Xbase and that’s where our new B&M giga goes.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Daniellep82 said:

I'm gonna say its Adventure Express..sadly it was alot of peoples first coaster...but...rules of buisness...bigger and better...and the coney island part of park is shrinking making way for " newer ride" I read antique cars are coming back ?  My second chose would be stunt coaster.its always broke down....I mean always.i love the ride...similar to maverick in my eyes..but a ride is no good if it's not running

Hmmm I've been to KI close to 40 times this year and rode BLSC every time, never seen it broke down once. Maybe I've just been lucky.. I really like that ride

• Like 2

If Vortex ever gets removed, I'd imagine it would be the last one to go. Its still extremely popular and has the best design of its kind. I'd imagine Corkscrew, Anaconda, Carolina Cyclone, etc would bite the dust before Vortex. Its still a reliable ride that has great capacity, despite being a little jerky. I personally think they'd try to address some of the issues people have with the ride before removing it entirely, like new trains for example

• Like 6

I joined this forum to post this.  So, hello everyone.

I think it's The Bat.  And, quietly, to a lesser extent, Timberwolf.  And I think the primary reason is to build a SoB giga in the area. 

There are too many rumors circulating, too much smoke, for the giga theory to be nothing.  For a real giga, they'd need space.  Compare these two photos: 

beastracervortex.jpg

timberwolfbat.jpg

Top photo is Beast (red), Racer (white) and Vortex (purple).  Not a whole lot of room for growth there, wedged in between two big-ticket coasters.  Vortex will leave sooner than later, but I don't think it's related to this. 

Bottom photo is Timberwolf (gray), nuBat (orange) and a giant expanse of empty land where SoB used to be.  Plenty of space.  And, of course, the building with the striped roof just south of nuBat is Outpost 5.

Think about it.  If you build an enormous giga-coaster, where do you want to put it?  In back with the other old legends?  Or *right in front of the park where everyone on the highway can see it?*

Ill-fated?  Yep, when it opened, Top Gun was themed after a movie that came out in 1986. It's biggest hype was that it was the return of a suspended coaster to KI after the original Bat closed.  Two more name-changes and a total rebranding, and it's still just a pale shadow of its namesake.

Still skies?  Of course, when there are no bats flying or wolves howling.

The Outpost 5 "cryptohazard" logo everywhere.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I joined this forum to post this.  So, hello everyone.

I think it's The Bat.  And, quietly, to a lesser extent, Timberwolf.  And I think the primary reason is to build a SoB giga in the area. 

There are too many rumors circulating, too much smoke, for the giga theory to be nothing.  For a real giga, they'd need space.  Compare these two photos: 

beastracervortex.thumb.jpg.f2fafb01385976259f7849e2df934285.jpg

timberwolfbat.thumb.jpg.ab494a38d80fd3ebd21eafaf4c4c431a.jpg

Top photo is Beast (red), Racer (white) and Vortex (purple).  Not a whole lot of room for growth there, wedged in between two big-ticket coasters.  Vortex will leave sooner than later, but I don't think it's related to this. 

Bottom photo is Timberwolf (gray), nuBat (orange) and a giant expanse of empty land where SoB used to be.  Plenty of space.  And, of course, the building with the striped roof just south of nuBat is Outpost 5.

Think about it.  If you build an enormous giga-coaster, where do you want to put it?  In back with the other old legends?  Or *right in front of the park where everyone on the highway can see it?*

Ill-fated?  Yep, when it opened, Top Gun was themed after a movie that came out in 1986. It's biggest hype was that it was the return of a suspended coaster to KI after the original Bat closed.  Two more name-changes and a total rebranding, and it's still just a pale shadow of its namesake.

Still skies?  Of course, when there are no bats flying or wolves howling.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah. Mmm hmm. It’s The Bat. It’s being removed to make way for that RMC Son of Beat giga. I’m sure this information came from multiple reputable sources as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Husband and I were talking about this earlier. KI has a good range of intro coaster styles for people so closing any could be a loss for someone. I've already told the 10 year old if it's one she's tall enough for we will take a weekend trip and ride back to back for all I care. 2 hour drive and a pass, I'm not out except gas money and normal food. Then there is the current Fast Lane Plus which removing one of those coasters would make the value fall.

• Like 1

This was some quality reading....its just going to be a interesting couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, Daniellep82 said:

That's horrible that sounds like The Beast... The Beast will always live !...Son of Beast did nor survive...

How does that sound like The Beast?

2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

You had me until you insulted Maverick.  :lol:

She had me until she said Backlot is always shut down. You know what, she actually had me until the first sentence about Adventure Express.

42 minutes ago, RustyCuttlefish said:

They have ALWAYS been there. What do people not understand about this? I might start wearing a shirt with that logo. Maybe that's why people brought in that chalk? To draw them everywhere!:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kissfan4 said:

Just to throw this in there, don't forget about those new footers that we're installed back by Vortex. They are obviously not for a new ride, but a coincidence that they are near The Vortex, and now they are removing a "big" coaster?

those footers are from the original bat in case you did not know about that small piece of Kings Island history.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kissfan4 said:

Steel Vengeance feels like it’s a dead end and you can be trapped by the train.

Edited by BenJAMIN
Spelling
  • Like 4

Hello everyone just wanted to give my take on this. I believe it will be Firehawk only due to its high maintenance. Kings Island still has nearly 400 acres of undeveloped land and Its sad that they're removing the ride only due to this reason. They still have plenty of space to build a coaster without removing the ride. At least 2020 is going to be a coaster year considering the fact they're removing a coaster.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PatchesC said:

As rough as Vortex is on me, I think I'd cry a bit to see it close, it's the first looping coaster I ever rode and now my 10 years olds first.

I would probably call off work an entire day just to say goodbye if it was Vortex. Firehawk I'd be happy with a friday night.

• Like 6