Kings Island Removing an Attraction?

BoddaH1994

1 minute ago, SonofBaconator said:

That pretty much sums up my whole theory as to why I think its Firehawk. Vortex is way too iconic to be axed off without having enough time for guests to say goodbye.

And big fans like me will never have enough time. I would probably need to be pried away from the train with a crowbar after taking my last ride :lol: 

• Like 10

42286814_10155764810146723_9130591337282797568_o.jpg

So I would just like to point out a few things about this memorial. First off, the white wreath to the left has four flowers on it, colored red, yellow, black, and silver. The exact same colors that you see on Firehawk. Secondly, when its dark, they project red and yellow lights onto the scene. The only other large coaster in the park with a red and yellow paint scheme is Diamondback, and I can tell you that's definitely not a ride that's leaving anytime soon. And third, "The air is eerily calm" can be a reference to The Bat, but honestly, with all clues taken into account, I'm pretty sure this means that the Hawk isn't going to be flying for much longer. And as others have pointed out, Vortex had gotten 970,000 riders last year, which to me indicates that ridership is not a problem.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, JCJTheHurricane said:

42286814_10155764810146723_9130591337282797568_o.jpg

So I would just like to point out a few things about this memorial. First off, the wreath has four flowers on it, colored red, yellow, black, and silver. The exact same colors that you see on Firehawk. Secondly, when its dark, they project red and yellow lights onto the scene. The only other large coaster in the park with a red and yellow paint scheme is Diamondback, and I can tell you that's is definitely not a ride that's leaving anytime soon. And third, "The air is eerily calm" can be a reference to The Bat, but honestly, with all clues taken into account, I'm pretty sure this means that the Hawk isn't going to be flying for much longer. And as others have pointed out, Vortex had gotten 970,000 riders last year, which to me indicates that ridership is not a problem.

To be fair, if the colors represented what you saw when you looked at Firehawk you’d have to throw in quite a bit of lime green.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, RustyCuttlefish said:

timberwolfbat.jpg

Timberwolf (gray), nuBat (orange) and a giant expanse of empty land where SoB used to be.  Plenty of space.  And, of course, the building with the striped roof just south of nuBat is Outpost 5.

Think about it.  If you build an enormous giga-coaster, where do you want to put it?  In back with the other old legends?  Or *right in front of the park where everyone on the highway can see it?*

Just my thoughts.

Jeez Google Maps really needs to catch up to google earth- Google Maps Satellite image still shows SOB lol

I guess I still think Firehawk is the most likely candidate here, but I was wondering what y'all think a big B&M project for 2020 means for the park's 50th in 2022? One of the biggest things the park needs (imo) is a new front entrance; the outdated current one is a pretty disappointing way to welcome guests to the park. A beautiful, new, signature entrance would be a great milestone anniversary piece and I love the way coasters interact with the entrances at CP and Carowinds. But I feel like two major coasters in two years isn't gonna happen? But just the entrance doesn't seem like enough for 50th?

Also I know RMC SOB is just a meme at this point, but what are the chances of KI getting any RMC at some point in the near future? With all the allusions to SOB, the planks popping up in Banshee's queue, etc., could it be hints toward an RMC even if the SOB part is just a red herring? RMC would really be a style of coaster they don't yet have and would love to see one come to my home park as I've haven't ridden one yet.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TheRickster said:

lmao... the news is out of control...

They literally are just reporting pure random rumors now. *facepalm*

The media has been creating the news for years now instead of reporting the news.  Everyone has to be the first to report it even if it is wrong...

need an example - look at the hurricane coverage...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

The media has been creating the news for years now instead of reporting the news.  Everyone has to be the first to report it even if it is wrong...

Everything I saw on the news was completely accurate - this was an absolutely devastating storm. Flooding is still occurring, nearly two weeks later.

It's not relevant to this topic but to claim that the media "created" the hurricane is to not pay attention to what's really going on in the Carolinas, even right now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I just hope that speculation is true and we get something to replace what we lose. The conference call stuff about cutting costs has me a little worried. 

That has a funny way of snowballing.  I raised my costs to attend the park this past year by generally letting my kids to get ice cream at Graeters.   We can always go back to stopping at McDonalds for some after we leave the park if they remove their favorite coaster (Firehawk) and don’t replace it with something at least as good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not so concerned about the conference call.  Missed second quarter earnings would not lead to the abandonment of a multi-million dollar asset within a few months.  The removal is more likely related to the work Kings Island contracted with B&M to perform, maintaining the park at the right size considering the new addition and location of the new B&M coaster.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Pez said:

I am not so concerned about the conference call.  Missed second quarter earnings would not lead to the abandonment of a multi-million dollar asset within a few months.  The removal is more likely related to the work Kings Island contracted with B&M to perform, maintaining the park at the right size considering the new addition and location of the new B&M coaster.

Further more, the removal of any ride costs money, and if they're trying to save money, then paying millions to remove a ride would not be a good way of doing it. Shutting down a ride for a season on the other hand, would cut costs. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Further more, the removal of any ride costs money, and if they're trying to save money, then paying millions to remove a ride would not be a good way of doing it. Shutting down a ride for a season on the other hand, would cut costs. 

Selling the ride to Kentucky Kingdom could offset the removal costs.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Uh... the media created this news?

I wasn't aware that WCPO built a fake cemetery plot, erected a mock funeral scene, and was teasing all week that the park would lose a coaster? 

If anything, this thread proves that it's a popular topic and that the park's marketing gimmick worked. God forbid they cover what's on the minds of the local people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

No doubt. I'm not in the loop on theme park business, so I'm not sure if when someone buys a ride from someone, they pay removal and shipping or how that works. 

Not sure, either. If nothing else, I'd think the sale price should cover the removal. Basically KI gets some freed up space for next to nothing...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I just hope that speculation is true and we get something to replace what we lose. The conference call stuff about cutting costs has me a little worried. 

Cedar Fair has had a pretty bad season from what it appears. If the ride is indeed Firehawk then it’s pretty obvious that it’s getting removed because it’s maintenance is terrible. I still believe that Kings Island will get a large investment in the coming years considering the fact the last two years have been incredibly small investments.

• Like 2