Kings Island Removing an Attraction?

BoddaH1994

@McSalsa I assume that the picture I provided is a "Next Gen" model, though interesting still flawed in one way- the train faces the sky on the lift hill. I'm sure parks are going to B&M because of Vekoma's not so perfect reputation.

Vekoma might still make spare parts, but that's like adding new parts to an old, crappy car. At least with Vortex, S&S might be able to make spare parts and in terms of reliability Vortex has a way better track record than Firehawk.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

L@McSalsa According to their website, Vekoma still has the Flying Dutchman on their product list so I don't think spare parts are as hard to come by as people think.

layout_flyingdutchman.jpg

https://www.vekoma.com/index.php/experience-thrill-coasters/flying-dutchman

No one said they stopped making them.  The parts are expensive not impossible to purchase.

Anyways this is out of date, Vekoma has totally redesigned the Flying Dutchman and the next generation model is being built right now at Phantasialand in Germany.  Basiclly the entire coaster has been redesigned from the track to the trains.  It’s a much better design (assuming it is reliable) but nothing is going to be compatible with the original version.

Here is a video of the prototype testing.

The train is sideways at load so all the seats are next to each other upright in the station.  It goes up the lift hill in that orientation and they rotate 90 degrees as you approach the top of the lift hill to put you in the correct orientation.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Tweeted by Abby Anstead of WCPO.

6A60776C-BA3F-46F9-9093-7FB8D1C7CB18.jpeg

22B7618D-6892-4263-BE27-11B632E24AC9.jpeg

This is interesting! Could be nothing, but to me the drawing of the coaster seems to represent the corkscrew of The Vortex as it passes through the loops, with the lift hill in the background going from bottom left, to top right. Again, could be nothing, and probably is, but that is what i see.

15 minutes ago, kissfan4 said:

This is interesting! Could be nothing, but to me the drawing of the coaster seems to represent the corkscrew of The Vortex as it passes through the loops, with the lift hill in the background going from bottom left, to top right. Again, could be nothing, and probably is, but that is what i see.

I believe it’s the new Cedar Fair logo.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I believe it’s the new Cedar Fair logo.

Ohhhhhh, now it all makes sense!  To raise cash, CF is selling off KI (restinpiecesKI) to Ed Hart et al.  Firehawk IS moving to KK.  Ed will begin his chain of Kings/Kingdom parks.  How could I have been so blind?

Note:  this is sarcasm.  @Ben43065, good eye on the CF logo.  I was wondering if there was a clue in it myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Has there been any news on when the announcement will happen? Is later this week meant to be Friday the 28th?

Nope.  No announcement yet on when The Announcement will happen.  Be sure to keep an eye on our Announcement (err News) section for an announcement of when The Announcement is likely to occur.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

The whole parts thing has me a bit confused.   It is one thing if Whirlpool stops making parts for a dishwasher after 10 years.  It is completely different if a manufacturer stops supplying parts after 18 years for a multi million dollar piece of equipment.  If this is true then the Vekoma is telling all its customers that if you buy a new design from us it has a service life of under 20 years and then you probably have to scrap it. 

I find this difficult to beleive.  

Von Roll still makes parts for their Type 101 Skyrides.  Intamin still makes parts for Dragster and Ka.

As a mechanical/manufacturing engineer, I may be able to clear this up.  This could be a bit of a wording issue.  I doubt they will stop SUPPLYING parts, but they may have stopped stocking or producing those parts themselves.  As equipment gets older and costs go up, they may have made the business decision that purchasing those parts may be costing them money and released the parts to be supplied by the park, and not Vekoma.  When this happens, prices for the parts go up, because they aren't being made in the quantity that Vekoma was ordering them and also may possibly be made to order.

Also, in manufacturing, business is booming.  The lead times on everything have gone through the roof.  Generally on a machined component, you are looking at 6 to 8 weeks from a reputable supplier, depending on size, material, etc.

Just my .02.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Here in this thread, the other thread or a new 3rd thread?

A new thread will be created for the announcement. We have to do that to update the front page.  

The confirmation thread will be locked. This one will remain. I hope that helps clear up why we are doing that way.

• Like 3

Try FB. Lol
11a9eb17bf54785a34987793ffd986e7.png05a0d078fd075faedf73036190b8ba7b.png

Question: What is unique to Kings Island?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me or does it feel like Chad is not in the loop with what they are doing? This post makes it seem like he didn’t know it was a roller coaster that was leaving... you’d think the PR person would be kept in the loop on big things like this. Maybe it’s nothing.

• Like 1

He knows exactly what he is doing. And I'd conjecture that at this point he knows what he needs to know about the project. (IIRC, in an interview here on KIC, he doesn't know details until the time is right so he can maintain plausible deniability.)

Is it just me or does it feel like Chad is not in the loop with what they are doing? This post makes it seem like he didn’t know it was a roller coaster that was leaving... you’d think the PR person would be kept in the loop on big things like this. Maybe it’s nothing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Reread Chad’s text. If it is a coaster (and it is) then they will be announcing final rides.... so sounds like there will be a send off... in style I hope.

Good PR drives up sales, the buzz has been out there since a “mystery person” carved GIGA in the snow during Winterfest. And the Internet has been buzzing all year. Keeping it a mystery till the end will definitely increase pass sales now!

• Like 1