Kings Island Removing an Attraction?

BoddaH1994

22 hours ago, upstop said:

Reread Chad’s text. If it is a coaster (and it is) then they will be announcing final rides.... so sounds like there will be a send off... in style I hope.

Good PR drives up sales, the buzz has been out there since a “mystery person” carved GIGA in the snow during Winterfest. And the Internet has been buzzing all year. Keeping it a mystery till the end will definitely increase pass sales now!

I Know our Season passes will be renewed for sure =) I Missed several years of Kings Island, but when they started teasing #Whatsintheshed we bought passes. this is so much more than the original # Teasing they did with Mystic. We Missed alot of this year, was over in Late June 4 days after our visit my partner had a heart attack. had to take a break from the heat, coasters and all the other things the dr said no to, but FINALLY We was able to get back to the park this past sunday WoooHooo I Got My Diamondback Fix OH darn I'm Excited about this! 1 hour to go 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

And whoever decides to remove it shall regret breaking the Eleventh Commandment :) 

8 hours ago, silver2005 said:

We'd need some serious ceremony to appease the utmost violation of the 11th Commandment.

I would just like to say that one of my favorite things here over the years is how, when anyone ever suggests changing or removing Adventure Express, there's always a chorus of people who jump in and say, "Don't violate the Eleventh Commandment!" It's up there with the annual Christmas retelling of the sinking of the S.S. Gator.

(For those who don't know, the Eleventh Commandment is: "Thou shalt not mess with Adventure Express, or else now you will pay.")

Also... It better not be Adventure Express. Although, it would be cool to have been on the final crew for a ride... Boddah's black hat has always been a fairly reliable source, though.

• Like 2

This is just something I quickly threw together in ps. I used Fury 325 as a filler. It is pretty much to scale here. The coaster could be configured any which way, but I think would open the area up. Also note I closed of the X-Base “tunnel” to allow Racer to be restored to the original track configuration. I miss that airtime at the brake run. Again, this is just an idea.
825aa8e56beafd58097b6606387b8985.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 11:23 PM, McSalsa said:

Hmm. Interesting- though that one does look like it is using the newer Vekoma track. Also IMO, for a flying coaster that layout looks pretty good, with the dive loop and zero-G roll. Those elements are fun on Banshee and I'd imagine they would be fun on a flying coaster. And since this is using newer track, I'd imagine it'd be smoother than Firehawk is to boot.

That does damage the rumor that parts aren't being made, if Vekoma does still offer the model. Though the SBNO status of Batwing still suggests something went wrong there this year, and Firehawk is known to not be the most reliable coaster ever. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens when the park does make the final announcements this week, and when Kentucky Kingdom finally reveals Kentucky Flyer. I'm probably gonna go to the park this weekend, so I hope I know by then so I know which ride to focus on getting those last rides in on.

I agree that these tracks look different. Remember, Firehawk (as X-Flight) was one of the first few models of the Flying Dutchman that Vekoma installed. It is very possible that they have made major upgrades, making the older models almost impossible to find parts for. I also have known people that worked on the ride, and they said that it was a maintenance NIGHTMARE with the mechanism that lifts and lowers the trains (this was several years ago). Also, a friend of mine and I were talking to an employee on the ride last week, and told us that there are also so many minor issues with the restraints having to be fixed almost as often, because they get stuck down. If they have more than 4 seats down, it is deemed inoperable due to capacity. This was confirmed by my friend I was at the park with, who worked in rides for 5 years, that this is a standard procedure on all rides at KI. 

47 minutes ago, LondonFreak said:

I agree that these tracks look different. Remember, Firehawk (as X-Flight) was one of the first few models of the Flying Dutchman that Vekoma installed. It is very possible that they have made major upgrades, making the older models almost impossible to find parts for. I also have known people that worked on the ride, and they said that it was a maintenance NIGHTMARE with the mechanism that lifts and lowers the trains (this was several years ago). Also, a friend of mine and I were talking to an employee on the ride last week, and told us that there are also so many minor issues with the restraints having to be fixed almost as often, because they get stuck down. If they have more than 4 seats down, it is deemed inoperable due to capacity. This was confirmed by my friend I was at the park with, who worked in rides for 5 years, that this is a standard procedure on all rides at KI. 

Ironically, Vekoma has yet to actually install one of these "New-Gen" Flying Dutchmen at any park. It's a model they still offer, but no has bit on it yet. Batwing at Six Flags America, ironically, is the newest one built (not counting re-openings due to relocation) and it opened in...2001, same year as Firehawk (as X-Flight at Geauga Lake). And Vekoma has only built 3 of them to date. Soon, only 2 will remain.

For comparison, B&M has made 11 Flying Coasters since 2002, and none of them have closed. All remain in operation as of this writing, and the newest B&M Flyer, Flying Dinosaur, opened at Universal Studios Japan in 2016.

5 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

Ironically, Vekoma has yet to actually install one of these "New-Gen" Flying Dutchmen at any park. It's a model they still offer, but no has bit on it yet. Batwing at Six Flags America, ironically, is the newest one built (not counting re-openings due to relocation) and it opened in...2001, same year as Firehawk (as X-Flight at Geauga Lake). And Vekoma has only built 3 of them to date. Soon, only 2 will remain.

For comparison, B&M has made 11 Flying Coasters since 2002, and none of them have closed. All remain in operation as of this writing, and the newest B&M Flyer, Flying Dinosaur, opened at Universal Studios Japan in 2016.

Ah, okay, I did not know that. Thanks for the information! :) And that is really wild that the New-Gens have not sold yet.