Kings Island Confirms removal of Coaster

IndyGuy4KI

Whether its Vortex or Firehawk or Whatever, I hate to see rides go. But if this paves the way for a new better ride (Giga) then I'm all for it. It's exciting but at the same time gives feelings of anxiousness. At the end of the day, I'm going to miss whatever ride gets cut.

• Like 4

Just now, upstop said:

I think it’s a great idea. Expand upon what is there, add hidden corkscrews and airtime hills. The possibilities are endless!

I thought it was a good idea too. I mean just let RMC do their thing, they could possibly turn it into a top 3 ride in the park. But of course, As we both know, the likeliness of any of that happing is very low.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Id rather have Adventure Express go than Firehawk. Adventure Express doesn't fit in at all with its theming. 

33 minutes ago, upstop said:

i second what Sonofbaconator said.... Adventure Express just needs a refurb. 

Theming can be replaced and reworked so that shouldn't dictate a coaster existence in the park. Top Gun didn't fit next to Banshee so they just rethemed it. Ricochet was renamed to Apple Zapple and themed to Candy Apple Grove. Vortex at CW is getting renamed to complement Frontier Canada. Need I go on?

It surprises me how many people prioritize theming over ridership, safety, and reliability. If that were the case, Kings Island would just remove BLSC because it doesn't fit in with its theming, or KD would remove Intimidator 305 and Flight of Fear because it doesn't fit the Safari theme. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Only problem being AE is on steel track and can’t be RMC’d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, it's not like RMC leaves the track in place when they refurb rides. They're quite used to working with wooden support structures.

However, it's worth noting that while RMC has done some crazy stuff with small rides (Hurler and Twisted Twins being notable examples, Adventure Express is WAY too small for the typical RMC design. Most RMCs at least marginally resemble their original form. RMC Adventure Express would be a brand new ride with a very very small amount of reused support structure.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the demise of Firehawk and the reveal of "Kentucky Flyer" isn't a coincidence? Kentucky Kingdom released the name of their new attraction but didn't specify what exactly was coming to the park- in comparison Kings Island confirmed that a coaster was leaving but didn't say which one. This leads me to speculate that the announcements will go hand in hand where KI announces that Firehawk will leave then Kentucky Kingdom will make a full announcement for Kentucky Flyer. This is all based on a lot of "ifs" but there could be a lot of truth to it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

What worries me is that Firehawk sits on a relatively flat piece of land that a dive coaster would fit perfectly on. 

3 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

Id rather have Adventure Express go than Firehawk. Adventure Express doesn't fit in at all with its theming. Firehawk at leasts offers an unique experience compared to Adventure Express which is just a mine train with bad and strange theming. Sadly though Its probably going to end up being Firehawk.

A dive coaster that uses the valley by the Batwing to cross under the pathway to or from the area by BLSC would be interesting. 

• Like 2

Does anyone else think this is really extra just to announce a coasters removal? Is there some kind of theme here for a new coaster that will be announced at the same time? It all just seems, fishy. Maybe nothing will leave at all and its an elaborate marketing campaign. (One can dream, I don't want to see anything go :()

• Like 5

I don't think KI would sell KK a piece of their history (today anyway), when they know some will be nostalgic, and instead of visiting KI, they'll go down and visit KK for the memories..  Vortex is pretty popular still and The Bat I doubt they'll take out, since they just renamed it..  I wonder if they'll give us more hints in the graveyard in a few days?  B)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fryoj said:

They have said they are going to announce which coaster is leaving this week. 

And no, they will not announce the 2020 coaster until sometime next season. That would kill 2019 season pass sales to announce it now. 

Honestly I don't think it would. It would generate a lot of buzz, while people with families will still be reached because of the antique cars. They are clearly targeting a different market with antique cars vs. another new coaster.

I'd say ANY press would increase pass sales. It might put some people off on visiting until next year but just coaster enthusiasts and this parks bread and butter is the couple times a month family visits.

• Like 1

Someone I know said that they heard on the news that the announcement of which ride was to be removed will happen today. I can't find anything to back that up, though. Has anyone heard anything similar? Last I heard, the announcement would be "later this week". I guess either way, we'll know within the week.

• Like 1

So, upon further reflection, if that removed coaster does end up being Firehawk, I will still be sad not because of the ride itself (which was cool, no doubt), but the historical significance- as some know, I am a fan of the 90's and early 2000's. Though we still have The Bat, Flight of Fear and Drop Tower (as well as Adventure Express, Skyflier and Invertigo) the removal of Firehawk means that we don't have an "edge of the millennium" thrill ride (ok, we have Flying Ace, but still...). I don't know if that makes sense, but in short, I'll miss what the ride stood for rather more than what it was.

To explain more, it's why I like coasters like The Legend, Millenium Force, Lighning Racer and Wicked Twister. It's also why Canada's Wonderland's flats intrigue me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

Someone I know said that they heard on the news that the announcement of which ride was to be removed will happen today. I can't find anything to back that up, though. Has anyone heard anything similar? Last I heard, the announcement would be "later this week". I guess either way, we'll know within the week.

At this point I have not been told when the news will come out. Typical media announcements are on Thursday. This might be a special case, so at this point it could be any minute. I am staying close to my inbox to get you guys the information when it is released!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the demise of Firehawk and the reveal of "Kentucky Flyer" isn't a coincidence? Kentucky Kingdom released the name of their new attraction but didn't specify what exactly was coming to the park- in comparison Kings Island confirmed that a coaster was leaving but didn't say which one. This leads me to speculate that the announcements will go hand in hand where KI announces that Firehawk will leave then Kentucky Kingdom will make a full announcement for Kentucky Flyer. This is all based on a lot of "ifs" but there could be a lot of truth to it.

I do find it interesting Kentucky Kingdom is using a similar hashtag to what Kings Island used for Mystic Timbers. #whatsinthewind compared to #whatsintheshed

• Like 1

^ You could honestly fit a giant coaster of Beast or Son of Beast proportions in there. The only thing with using that land for a Giga is that it would be an interesting layout for one. Most gigas are basically an out-and-back design (with I-305 being the most different of the bunch, IMO). It doesn't seem like a giga coaster tract of land, however, there is also a ton of land back behind there and even back behind Action Theater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homestar92 said:

It doesn't seem like a giga coaster tract of land, however, there is also a ton of land back behind there and even back behind Action Theater.

There's also a ton of land on the other side of the maintenance road that's relatively clear. I can see it being an out and back that essentially runs parallel to the river while also having a lot of curved sections like Fury 325's second half.

fh.PNG

Just now, IndyGuy4KI said:

We will clean up later, but they are 2 different threads. The other one is specific to Firehawk, this one is about what the park announced. 

....that thread isn't specific to Firehawk at all. It's speculating on which attraction is being removed. 

• Like 1