Firehawk Leaving Kings Island 10/28/18

Kings Island has announced that Firehawk will be the coaster leaving the park at the end of the 2018 season.

IMG_20130615_140303_299.jpg

On October 26 – 28, 2018.  11 years, 5 months and two days from its Kings Island opening date, Firehawk will take its last flight ever as Kings Island will bury Firehawk!

RIP_003.png

After Cedar Fair purchased Kings Island from Paramount in 2006, Firehawk was the first coaster that Cedar Fair installed into the park in 2007. Firehawk was not a new coaster though, Firehawk was previously installed as X-Flight in 2001 at Geauga Lake which closed in 2007. Firehawk was manufactured by Vekoma and its removal will reopen 5.5 acres of land. More info about Firehawk along with construction photos and more can be found here: https://kicentral.com/rides/firehawk/

Type of Coaster

Steel - Flying

Manufacturer

Vekoma

Model

Flying Dutchman

Lift/launch system

Chain Lift Hill

Height

115 ft. (35 m.)

Length

3,340 ft. (1,020 m.)

Speed

50 mph (80 kmh)

Inversions

Max Vertical Angle

33 degrees

G-force

Heigh Restriction

40-80 in. (137-203 cm)

Trains

2 trains with 6 cars. Riders are arranged 4 across in a single row for a total of 24 riders per train.

We don't know what the future holds for the area occupied by Firewhawk now, but the X-Base area of Coney Mall is the last area that has not been refreshed since Cedar Fair purchased the park. Could it be that they have big plans for that area of the park with its removal? 

A look back at Firehawk 2007 - 2018.

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

P3035965.JPG

IMG_20130615_093629_637.jpg

IMG_20130615_135940_956.jpgIMG_20130615_135615_761.jpgIMG_20130615_135659_219.jpg

IMG_20130615_135703_677.jpg

IMG_20130615_135730_803.jpg

IMG_20130615_135915_951.jpg

Tell us your thoughts about the park removing Firehawk and your memories of the ride! 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

Not terribly surprising. Firehawk was my first coaster that was built at the park as a KIC member, so I’ll always have fond memories of obsessively checking this site during that time period. Loved seeing the photos of the construction site from the skies oh so long ago...

Firehawk certainly isn’t my favorite by any means, but I spent a lot of time riding it it’s first few years after it’s relocation with friends (and girlfriends) who have seemingly moved on much like the ride itself. Good times, good times. 

Im excited to see what the future holds for the land it occupies, but I’m more convinced this was a budgetary issue as opposed to a removal for expansion. But we’ll see, won’t we? 

Rest In Peace (Pieces), I guess.

• Like 1

So, the rumors were true. It was Firehawk. Now, let's see what Kentucky Flyer turns out to be. Also I am expecting a construction fence in X-Base...is it still even that anymore? Flight of Fear gonna be the only ride back there next year. Basically it's just gonna be the Flight of Fear area again, as it was from 1996-2006.

Firehawk was a decent coaster, I did like it, but I can understand why the park is removing it. Firehawk had to have been a maintenance nightmare, and it was known for breaking down a lot. And if Vekoma really did back off on the support for the model, then well, that probably made this decision easy for the park.

Also, odd fact: this will be the first coaster I have ever ridden that went defunct. I have been on flat rides and stuff that went defunct, but no roller coasters (I didn't seriously begin riding them until 2009 and missed Son of Beast)...until now. I am kinda surprised it will be Firehawk of all coasters getting that title. I am planning on going to Kings Island with a group of friends for haunt this weekend, so I will probably get my final rides in this weekend.

Oh and finally:

F

• Like 4

Good riddance Firehawk. Enjoyed rides over the years starting at Geauga Lake. You were fun in my younger years. First coaster I’ve been on that was moved from a different park that I rode in both parks. Won’t say I’ll be sad to see you leave for something better. R I P Firehawk.

F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

So, the rumors were true. It was Firehawk. Now, let's see what Kentucky Flyer turns out to be. Also I am expecting a construction fence in X-Base...is it still even that anymore? Flight of Fear gonna be the only ride back there next year. Basically it's just gonna be the Flight of Fear area again, as it was from 1996-2006.

Firehawk was a decent coaster, I did like it, but I can understand why the park is removing it. Firehawk had to have been a maintenance nightmare, and it was known for breaking down a lot. And if Vekoma really did back off on the support for the model, then well, that probably made this decision easy for the park.

Also, odd fact: this will be the first coaster I have ever ridden that went defunct. I have been on flat rides and stuff that went defunct, but no roller coasters (I didn't seriously begin riding them until 2009 and missed Son of Beast)...until now. I am kinda surprised it will be Firehawk of all coasters getting that title. I am planning on going to Kings Island with a group of friends for haunt this weekend, so I will probably get my final rides in this weekend.

Oh and finally:

F

Hmmm....  Got me thinking.  I'm sure others lists are much, much longer.... but for me:

King Cobra, SOB at Kings Island

The Bob sled coaster and Wild Cat at Cedar Pointe

Mantis and Mean Streak at CP (if you can count those)

And now Firehawk.

Not a very long list, perhaps there is another ride or two out there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenban said:

Anyone heard if the park has confirmed what is being done with the coaster?  When I heard the rumors it was being removed I also heard it was being scrapped with the trains and other components being sent to Carowinds.  But was just looking for confirmation.

No official word, however speculation says it's been sold to Kentucky Kingdom. The process of removal will probably be telling as to what happens from here. 

• Like 1

Glad The Vortex is safe -- when we got down to KI this summer, it was the one coaster I didn't get a chance to ride, so I can get it next year. 

Firehawk was unique and I was glad to have ridden it, but I won't miss it. It was uncomfortable and, honestly, it was the one ride I never felt safe on. I always felt like I was going to fall out (I know I wasn't going to...it just felt that way). 

I also think it never truly felt like a part of KI, probably because it got its start elsewhere. It seemed just tossed into X-Base, and never had the character I feel from most other KI coasters (Invertigo feels the same way for me). The best Kings Island coasters feel organic to the park. This felt like an unnatural fit. Excited to see what comes next. 

• Like 3