Firehawk Leaving Kings Island 10/28/18

I heard the news on Twitter and I'm actually more sad than I thought I'd be. Though it's harmful to my lungs, I'll probably take one last (or a few last) flight(s).

RIP to a very cool coaster that, like Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, The Legend and Lightning Racer, stood for a time where coaster designers pushed the limits on what was possible and dared to dream big.

F indeed.

EDIT: Personally, the best case scenario for me is if it got moved to Dorney, as that's where Superman (Possessed) is. It'll be like a mini Geagua Lake as they already have a floorless and a similar front entrance. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

No official word, however speculation says it's been sold to Kentucky Kingdom. The process of removal will probably be telling as to what happens from here. 

Unlikely we would have to wait that long, since KK has been been teasing the new attraction, I am expecting another video tomorrow with more details.  The timing for a ride called Kentucky Flyer is suspicious but in the past Ed Hart has publicly stated that he dislikes coasters with a lot of downtime and maintenance issues.  Which Firehawk clearly has both problems.

• Like 3

Sad to see it go, but I understand this will be addition by subtraction. Hopefully this will lead to bigger and better ride experiences.

I can still remember going to Kings Island in early 2007 for a middle school concert band competition. I was standing in The Racer que and saw Firehawk in the distance. I remember thinking “That is going to be such a cool ride!”.

For my first ride I remember standing in the que for what seemed like ages (probably due to new ride long line and the capacity issues), but when I finally got to ride I was ecstatic! I loved the unique experience it gave. Getting laid down in the station, laying on my back on the lift hill not being able to see anything, and the feeling like you were flying all contributed to that experience.

I hope I am able to get some more rides on Firehawk in the coming weeks, especially on the final day.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

They said it’s lived it’s service life. Now it’s being sent to Rumpke Park for eternity.

I doubt it is going to Rumpke unless they put in a winning bid for salvage rights to the metal.  The park will likely salvage what it can as spare parts for it's sister park and sell off the salvage rights instead of a paid disposal in a landfill..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lifetimecoaster said:

No official word, however speculation says it's been sold to Kentucky Kingdom. The process of removal will probably be telling as to what happens from here. 

That would be a terrible move on their part. 

1) This ride already existed for over a decade at a geographic competitor. 

2) The ride is maintenance nightmare that can't move guests through. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

That would be a terrible move on their part. 

1) This ride already existed for over a decade at a geographic competitor. 

2) The ride is maintenance nightmare that can't move guests through. 

Very true, but at the same time its still a new coaster for a park. The ride can still run, it just doesn't run per KI and Cedar Fair standards like other coasters in the chain. I know Ed Hart is against non reliable coasters but if they get the ride cheap, why not go for it?

Moving on with the subject of removal, I wouldn't be suprised if Cedar Fair begins purging Vekomas from all their other parks since there's very few of them left in the chain.

• Like 2

I kinda figured that Firehawk was the one who was going to bite the dust, I’m glad that it wasn’t Vortex, because Firehawk is just one of those coasters I can go to the park without riding. Now it makes me think now with the announcement of Firehawk leaving, makes me wonder if everyone is going to race to ride it before it’s gone, I might ride it one last time but it doesn’t really matter to me. Hopefully the removal of Firehawk will lead to a bigger and better future attraction.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NoChickens said:

Always sad to see any coaster go.  I'm sure there are those who love it, and for them, I feel bad.

I'll leave it at that. 

Very true, it might be your most hated ride every, but there is someone else out there that it is their favorite. Sad to see a coaster go no matter what.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Dang y'all, we're the "coaster community"!! I somehow feel like I'm in a special club. A secret society as it were. 

• Like 3