Firehawk Leaving Kings Island 10/28/18

Bye, Felicia...

Seriously, I was never fond of this except when it was new. I never found it "painful" per say, but the riding position combined with the awkward G's made this a VERY uncomfortable ride for me. Would give me an instant headache, and my most recent rides even made me feel a little nauseous. I rarely ever rode it, and after my last ride on it I said I was done, so I guess that was good timing lol. Also, I was always annoyed that this ride basically blocked any opportunity for expansion around the back side of Racer, so I'm really happy it's leaving.

Here's to 2020. ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JCoaster25 said:

Bye, Felicia...

Seriously, I was never fond of this except when it was new. I never found it "painful" per say, but the riding position combined with the awkward G's made this a VERY uncomfortable ride for me. Would give me an instant headache, and my most recent rides even made me feel a little nauseous. I rarely ever rode it, and after my last ride on it I said I was done, so I guess that was good timing lol. Also, I was always annoyed that this ride basically blocked any opportunity for expansion around the back side of Racer, so I'm really happy it's leaving.

Here's to 2020. ;)

The thing I know I will miss is the approach to that loop and the loop itself on your back. I'll actually miss that a decent amount. I also really missed the SOB loop. They are/were both very unique experiences of a very simple element.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JCoaster25 said:

Bye, Felicia...

Here's to 2020. ;)

My sentiments exactly! Last time I was there I rode it and it made me very nauseous. Said the same thing "I don't know that I'll ever ride that coaster again!"

• Like 1

Overall not sad to see it go to give a better expansion back there but I did enjoy the coaster. The loop had some weird g’s but not too bad and loved the first few hills/turns. Only part I hated was the brake run and waiting for the cars to lift. The way you are lying there has all the blood rushing to your head and ends it on a bad note to me. Just wish I knew last month it’d be leaving so I could have ridden one last time while I was there 

• Like 3

I’m actually pretty bummed it’s Firehawk. I think of it as the 3rd or 4th best ride at KI. I know I’m in the minority here based on comments and the Twitter poll. The flying experience is totally unique, esp. from the front row. The loop is wild, the twists are cool, and it does really make you feel like you’re flying. There’s also no mid-ride brake which I feel is a buzz kill and design flaw on the rides that have them. I know there are reasons to remove it, based on maintenance issues (the deafening lift hill) and future park expansion, but I just think it’s one of the most fun rides at KI.

• Like 4

From a strictly riding experience, I've always considered the Flying Dutchman model to be one of the (very) few things that Vekoma actually did quite well...

Unfortunately for them, it was based on a concept that was always going to have inextricable reliability/capacity issues....thus resulting in it being iterated just three times.

It's a shame those darn SLC's can't go instead......

---

Flying Dutchman:       3 ever made

Suspended Looping Coasters:      41  !!!   oh the horror make it stop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 7

It’s been a while since I’ve posted. Never stop reading though! Just thought I’d pop in and pay my condolences to Firehawk. Rest In Peace friend we’ve had some good times. I’ll be in next weekend to take our final rides together.... please be working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Took what could end up being my final ride on Firehawk tonight. It was a bit sadder than I expected it to be. It was never one of my most favorite rides in the park, but I've always liked it. I just hated waiting in line for it. These last few seasons when lines have tended to be short, I've really grown to like the ride a lot. It will be very dearly missed. I now know how it must feel for my many friends who still think back fondly on Son of Beast. Except with this ride, we were fortunate enough to be given an opportunity to say goodbye.

I also noticed something in the shops around the park: The fact that the ride being removed was Firehawk was right under our noses the whole time. Look in the shops at the various pieces of merchandise that represent all the coasters. Vortex is present in all such pieces. Firehawk is conspicuously absent from many.

If, by some strange miracle, the rumors of Firehawk going to Kentucky Kingdom end up being true, then I look forward to a great many rides on it in the future at its new home. Just be aware that counting on this possibility is almost certain to leave you disappointed.

• Like 11

Well- I can honestly say; I'm not going to miss Firehawk.  I remember reading up on the ride when it first came to KI; and reading about it being X-Flight at Six Flags.  In the time that it has been at KI; I think I rode it a total of 5 times.  The first 3 times that I rode it- I was physically hurting after I got off of the ride, mainly muscle and joint pain.  The past 2 times earlier this summer were better- but I was very hesitant to ride this summer because of how I had felt, after riding it the previous times.  It's pretty bad, when the parent company goes to paint the track and the track paint peels to reveal the previous track coloring... but it is what it is.... The ride has lived it's life... if it does go to KK.... good luck. 

I think KI made the right move.  It would be bad press to remove Vortex after that ride just celebrated it's 30th anniversary last year.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, homestar92 said:

Took what could end up being my final ride on Firehawk tonight. It was a bit sadder than I expected it to be. It was never one of my most favorite rides in the park, but I've always liked it. I just hated waiting in line for it. These last few seasons when lines have tended to be short, I've really grown to like the ride a lot. It will be very dearly missed. I now know how it must feel for my many friends who still think back fondly on Son of Beast. Except with this ride, we were fortunate enough to be given an opportunity to say goodbye.

I also noticed something in the shops around the park: The fact that the ride being removed was Firehawk was right under our noses the whole time. Look in the shops at the various pieces of merchandise that represent all the coasters. Vortex is present in all such pieces. Firehawk is conspicuously absent from many.

If, by some strange miracle, the rumors of Firehawk going to Kentucky Kingdom end up being true, then I look forward to a great many rides on it in the future at its new home. Just be aware that counting on this possibility is almost certain to leave you disappointed.

I don't think the rumored move to KK is going to be true, but would like for it to be just so that we would still have a chance to ride it. I didn't ride it every time since like mentioned the lines were very slow, and most of my friends it was a one and done. They either didn't like the feeling in the seats or of the ride, or it made them feel ill. Was there for Pride Night this year when most rides were walk-ons so wish I would have taken the opportunity to ride it once more then. Overall, while I will miss it, it isn't a huge loss to me either and think it was a smart move by the park to expand to something bigger and better in that area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

So we go to get a ride today and it was down. As loud as I could without yelling, I exclaim to the ride ops saYong it is down "WOW, ARE THEY ALREADY TAKING IT APART TO SEND TO KENTUCKY KINGDOM" Lol. The looks were priceless 

That just made my day lol. Gonna miss it but I think we all know what may be coming.

I don't think the rumored move to KK is going to be true, but would like for it to be just so that we would still have a chance to ride it. I didn't ride it every time since like mentioned the lines were very slow, and most of my friends it was a one and done. They either didn't like the feeling in the seats or of the ride, or it made them feel ill. Was there for Pride Night this year when most rides were walk-ons so wish I would have taken the opportunity to ride it once more then. Overall, while I will miss it, it isn't a huge loss to me either and think it was a smart move by the park to expand to something bigger and better in that area.

Firehawk is definitely not going to Kentucky Kingdom. The Kentucky Flyer is going to be a Gravity Group wooden coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Part of me hopes this is a photoshopped joke, but at the same time, it would be cool if Firehawk got moved to Dorney. However, I don't like the Desert Hawk name and I'm not sure how said name would work (as it doesn't seem to fit the park).

The funny thing is the person who did this has pro skills at photoshop, since all the lighting, shadows, and shading all are really well done here. It’s just crazy how far people will go to troll other enthusiasts.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Doubt they will, sadly.

Screenshot_20181002-221418_Twitter.jpg

When did the Banshee cam go active? I can't remember if it was prior to the announcement or after. I know we had pics from the tower, but don't recall if those were cam pics or just pics people took.

• Like 1

Banshee cam went up at the beginning of the 2013 season. Remember the “paranormal” warnings signs and Halloween props inside the fence too? There were station footings already poured. There was a seasons worth of speculation before the actual announcement of Banshee.

if anything is going on in 2020, I expect we will see construction st the beginning of season 2019, especially for a large attraction.

• Like 4