Firehawk Leaving Kings Island 10/28/18

On 1/24/2019 at 7:02 PM, fryoj said:

They don't just up and change roller coaster locations that quickly. When B&M comes in, the park shows them the area they want the coaster and the basics of what they want and B&M custom builds the ride for the site. Thats oversimplifying it, but to change the location, it would pretty much mean starting over with the designs and engineering. That's not something you do late in the process. If it's going on the Firehawk plot, it was probably always going on the Firehawk plot. 

I've heard several park officials said it was a mid summer decision. Maybe they accidently said that, or just wanted it to appear that way.

54 minutes ago, JubJester said:

I've heard several park officials said it was a mid summer decision. Maybe they accidently said that, or just wanted it to appear that way.

If that's true, then I'd wager that that footprint of the new coaster won't interact with the Firehawk footprint. Maybe the queue, lockers, or other buildings will. But these plans were definitely in place prior to mid summer. 

• Like 5

This lends credence to my theory that the B&M project was originally scheduled for completion in 2021 and the demise of Firehawk would have occurred a year later. Due to low attendance figures and no significant bump and slumping stock, management moved the project up a year sometime in late Spring early Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey, B&M, this is Bill at King's Island. You know that coaster we've been having you design for the last couple of years and we aren't supposed to open until 2 and a half years from now? I know you schedule these things years out and build these things for parks all over the world, but just go ahead and bring that bad boy in a year early. 

Hello?

Hello? 

I think he hung up on me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

~$30 million projects are not able to be switched around at all, let alone with that short of notice. These things need to be planned meticulously. A company like B&M has so many things going on at once that it’d be impossible to move them all around.

• Like 6

I agree with @Bansheeback. Maybe the plan was to remove Firehawk all along and replace it with a B&M giga, or maybe what @fryoj said where the proposed giga wouldn't even touch the Firehawk footprint. Either way, like I said before, I think Firehawk has been on the chopping block for a while and they were just looking for a good time to remove the ride.

I think working with Vekoma is a nightmare for Cedar Fair because of the reliability issues and the ability to get spare parts.

• Like 4

^ That's why you do not see any new Vekoma's  hardly ever in the states. I think only Disney works with them anymore. I am sure Firehawk was planned to get removed for sure. Its always down and parts we hard to get ahold of. I think Dragonflier is the only recent one being built out side of Disney. Even Dollywood surprised me by using them.

• Like 1

According to rollercoaster_expedition on Instagram, the deconstruction of the Firehawk roller coaster is near complete with the steel vertical loop being the only element of the coaster still standing and slated for demolition. Enjoy folks!

Edited by QuantumMechanicsInMotion
Photography
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/january/readers’-mailbag-why-was-the-last-dip-on-the-racer-removed

On the new Kings Island Readers' Mailbag, Gary S., from Baltimore, OH inquired about Firehawk, asking...quote, "What's lurking in the woods around where Firehawk stood?" The Park responded by saying, quote..."Deer. They’ll browse and graze throughout the night, occasionally heading back to bedding spots for a few hours around midnight where they will remain for a couple hours before heading back out into open areas again in the early morning hours. Deer are fascinating creatures." Hmm, what a riveting response by park officials. The word "they" is reminiscent of Cedar Point's Steel Vengeance hyper hybrid roller coaster and the three outlaws affixed to the coaster's marketing and theme. Just for speculation....could Kings Island's 2020 B&M roller coaster be themed to or marketed as extraterrestrial creatures or the notorious Outpost 5 being that the 2020 attraction may be located in the X-Base area of the park? Very, very riveting nonetheless. Deer....Enjoy Folks! 

Deer...? Hmm. What a riveting word choice! 

Edited by QuantumMechanicsInMotion
Diction
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Actually the park is right, there are deer in the woods there. There are deer in all of the woods in Ohio. That’s where they usually live last time I checked.

I think you’re looking too much into that response. The park is probably getting tired of seeing questions about 2020 so they wanted to have a little fun with their reply.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, QuantumMechanicsInMotion said:

"Deer. They’ll browse and graze throughout the night, occasionally heading back to bedding spots for a few hours around midnight where they will remain for a couple hours before heading back out into open areas again in the early morning hours. Deer are fascinating creatures." Hmm, what a riveting response by park officials. The word "they" is reminiscent of Cedar Point's Steel Vengeance hyper hybrid roller coaster[...]

Deer...? Hmm. What a riveting word choice! 

This is might officially be the funniest thing I've read on here in years.

• Like 3

Well, obviously, the giga will be Santa themed with the mention of deer, which will tie in to Winterfest quite well.  The X-Base tie in is with how NORAD tracks Santa every Christmas, which will obviously lead Flight of Fear to be permanently named Flight of Cheer. 

Holiday World, eat your heart out.  B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3