Firehawk Leaving Kings Island 10/28/18

2 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

I agree.  Could have been a unique centerpiece. Let me submit, though, that that level of theming isn't Cedar Fair's signature.  Just bring them in taller, faster, etc... then watch them become obsolete by the next taller, faster one in a few years.

I think we are seeing a shift in Cedar Fair's attitude. Mystic Timbers, Yukon Striker, Copperhead Strike all have elevated levels of theming compared to previous additions. 

• Like 8

21 hours ago, TheRickster said:

Just not iconic enough of a ride for it.

Now whenever Vortex DOES meet it's end of life, really the only option is to mount one of the corkscrew pieces above the brick walkeway infront of the basketball game between Juke Box Diner and the trees further down towards Rivertown.

That would actually be a neat entry way to Coney Mall from Rivertown

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Vortex is now what, 30 something years old?  How much longer do we expect it to stay around?

Going to assume really not anytime soon. It's still pretty popular, iconic, and isn't even close to the maintenance nightmare Firehawk was. I think it's pretty safe unless something major happens to it and the only option is to remove it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arrow said:

Going to assume really not anytime soon. It's still pretty popular, iconic, and isn't even close to the maintenance nightmare Firehawk was. I think it's pretty safe unless something major happens to it and the only option is to remove it.

Cedar Point still has Corkscrew which was built 11 years before Vortex.  I don't see Vortex going anywhere anytime soon, honestly.  I wish they'd put some new trains on it, with soft OTSR, honestly.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Arrow said:

I think it's more of a ridership and future expansion question. When it comes time to install the next coaster (after the assumed 2020 B&M), the park will have to ask itself a few questions:

Is Vortex sitting on land they want to use? Do they want to utilize operational savings from a Vortex removal to offset costs associated with the new coaster? Is Vortex experiencing any operational or maintenance difficulties? Does Vortex's ridership justify removal? Could it be relocated/sold (highly unlikely in my mind)?

Personally, I think the largest threats to Vortex are the land it sits on and possible decreasing ridership, not any maintenance concerns.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am loving this Intamin/B&M back and forth. :lol:

But in all seriousness, like the little girl in that commercial said "Why not both?". Specifically, I was thinking of Valravn and Wicked Twister (and to a lesser extent, Maverick and Rougarou). 

-MDMC, who just named all but one of his Top 5 Cedar Point coasters.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MDMC01 said:

I am loving this Intamin/B&M back and forth. :lol:

But in all seriousness, like the little girl in that commercial said "Why not both?". Specifically, I was thinking of Valravn and Wicked Twister (and to a lesser extent, Maverick and Rougarou). 

-MDMC, who just named all but one of his Top 5 Cedar Point coasters.

I like the way you think....a dive shuttle coaster! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2