Firehawk Leaving Kings Island 10/28/18

5 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Could you ask @DonHelbig if there are any plans to add or relocate a webcam to watch the FH deconstruction and antique car construction? And anything else that may happen in that area... lol

I literally just came here to type this exact same question. Would be pretty neat to have a webcam available to watch the deconstruction of the ride. 

• Like 1

The GP doest understand "Service Life" essentially means the product is no longer financially viable to operate and has little-to-no marketability.  It has nothing to do with safety, everything to due to the cost of keeping it operational.  Be it parts, repair, upkeep, electrical costs or manufacturer guarantees.  There's a term used in the industry called "viable real-estate."  FH obviously occupies real-estate that CF likely feels would be better used if re-purposed.

Frankly, I never felt Firehawk was a ride "worthy" of KI.  It was a second-hand, "reproduction" foot-print coaster who's novelty was short lived even at it's original park.  When KI announced it, I was not impressed... a relocation was "beneath" the park IMO.  As far as the ride experience - I literally only rode it twice at KI.  It had the same effect each time - uncomfortable when hanging, arduous loading process, not really thrilling, and raised my head's blood pressure level to the point that it was hard to recover.  It's placement at the park was awful, and wreaked of a knee-jerk "Hey, KI needs a coaster and we are going to unload GL - so lets just ship it there and stick it over by FOF" mentality.

I'll not miss it... as i would not miss Invertigo either.

• Like 14
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

The GP doest understand "Service Life" essentially means the product is no longer financially viable to operate, and has little-to-no marketability.  Has nothing to do with safety, everything to due to the cost of keeping it operational - be it parts, repair or even just electrical cost and whether or not the manufacturer will still support it.  There's also a term used in the industry called "viable real-estate."  FH obviously occupies real-estate that the park likely feels would be better used if re-purposed.

Frankly, I never felt Firehawk was a ride "worthy" of it's place at KI.  It was a second-hand, "reproduction" foot-print coaster who's novelty was short lived even at it's original park.  When KI got it, I was not impressed... it was always "beneath" the park IMO.  As far as the ride experience - I literally only rode it twice at KI.  It had the same effect each time - uncomfortable when hanging, arduous loading process, not really thrilling, and raised my head's blood pressure level to the point that it was hard to recover.  It's placement at the park was awful, and wreaked of a knee-jerk "hey, KI needs a coaster and we are going to unload GL - so lets just ship it there and stick it over by FOF.

I'll not miss it.

Ya, I was just commenting it's a predictable reaction to the news. Everything goes through cost analysis. I ride can cost more money to operate and still be just as safe as the one next to it.

I'll miss it, but just because X-Flight at GL was one of the first "bucket list" coasters I rode when I started travelling to parks years ago, then a somewhat personal connection to it when it moved to KI. But I do agree with you, it always felt like a fast, "Well we have to put this stuff somewhere or else it's going to go to waste" decision from closing GL. (Ironically reading the rest of your post as I type this we share the same feeling)

I'll enjoy it now just because I remember I was bummed I couldn't get a final ride on X-Flight, and because I have some personal relationships with it, (nothing like other stuff in the park though) and if I'm correct we won't have a flying coaster in this region except for Six Flags in Gurnee, which is a bit outside my ability for a quick trip. Not that I'm huge on flying coasters, I think I actually liked stand ups more now, but I think they are going the way of the stand ups and will dwindle over time. They are just too awkward to ride for most people. It's bad enough sitting in a seat with someone's sweat, let alone laying down in it etc.

I met you once with David as well when he was in town for building IJST you're a good dude. I enjoy your blog and your posts as well!

• Like 2

Man, I'm gonna miss it and I really didn't even like Firehawk like that. I just hate seeing coasters go. The sad part is that the last time I was able to ride it was last year and I don't have plans of going to KI for the rest of the year. RIP Firehawk, The ride did serve its purpose and I guess overall was "fun", not the best ride, but it will be missed. 

F

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Was this tweet meant to be a response to those who speculated Vortex biting the dust before today's announcement?

vortex.PNG

https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/1045340008612270080

It’s supposed to parody Mark Twain’s famous quote, “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NoChickens said:

Always sad to see any coaster go.  I'm sure there are those who love it, and for them, I feel bad.

I'll leave it at that. 

6 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Very true, it might be your most hated ride every, but there is someone else out there that it is their favorite. Sad to see a coaster go no matter what.

That would be me. I'm devastated :( It was my favorite ride for years until Banshee came along. I still make a point to ride it every time I go. So unique and fun for me I loved it. I'm sad they took away the photo booth so I never got a photo on it. At least in a year or two the space will probably become a great new ride I will love too.

• Like 4

I will not miss it the way I do a number of former rides. The last time I rode it, I found it rather uncomfortable. It's also one of those rides I have little interest in waiting for. On days when I can walk right onto Mystic Timbers, Diamondback, The Beast, The Racer, and Banshee, why bother waiting for Firehawk or BLSC? Granted, I never thought it would go so soon. Next year, I plan to give more attention to the rides I always take for granted, a big one being FOF. 

• Like 3

Even back when I used to go to the park more frequently then now, the Firehawk was a lot of the time not working or running test cars from where the pegs holding the cars onto the track have broke or worked themselves out, I'm pretty sure I asked a tech. about it and they said it happens all the time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

I’m curious to what the salvage value would be if they were to scrap it. However, the $15 million price tag with the relocation costs probably made this ride the costliest ride in KI History.

A lot of places will remove stuff like this and take the material/salvage as payment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

I’m curious to what the salvage value would be if they were to scrap it. However, the $15 million price tag with the relocation costs probably made this ride the costliest ride in KI History.

I'd venture a guess that SOB was more expensive.

As much as I LOVE Kings Dominion, I wish we had got Dominator instead of Firehawk.  I understand why it went to KD, and laugh to myself when I think about the name.  At GL, it was renamed Dominator before it went to Dominion.  Foreshadowing, indeed.

• Like 1