Firehawk Leaving Kings Island 10/28/18

Anybody think they'll reuse the station for the proposed 2020 giga? I know wrong thread, but that would be interesting to reuse the old Firehawk station. They already have the concrete set-up the way they like it for entrance and exit and they could keep the old photo booth that has been sitting vacant for two-three years.

9 hours ago, TheBEASTunchained said:

^ I haven’t even heard of this. Where are the details for this event? I don’t see them in any of the blog posts...? Would love to attend, though! 

I posted this several pages back. Be watching the blog really close!

On 9/27/2018 at 1:22 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Just got a message from @DonHelbig!

The park will have a blog meetup before the ride closes, and that space will be limited so once it has been published on the blog it will reach capacity quickly.

Make sure you pay attention to the KIBlog!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

Well, some people still think Some part of Firehawk is going Kentucky Kingdom. I tried to explain to him that it’s not going to KK. From the Park’s Instagram (I’m yostbill on there):

872f0ed1f0885966ff246bee84a4a4e5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they intend to buy a car that uses the recycled track in its construction. 

• Like 2

I think the removal of Firehawk defines the bar for Cedar Fair's expectations for their major money making parks like Kings Island. Just makes you wonder about other parks that have low quality rides. Think about Canada's Wonderland and the coasters they have; Flight Deck and Timewarp seem like likely candidates for removal or relocation since they don't fit the mold for Cedar Fair standards. @MisterSG1, might be able to elaborate better on this.

• Like 2

I don't think it had anything to do with quality. I think it had everything to do with operating costs, which is what the CEO said they'd be looking at when determining how to cut costs after the rough spring they had financially. Unless Flight Deck or Time Warp is pounding its way through umpteen wheels each season because of roughness, I wouldn't look for either to go anywhere. See also: HUSS Top Spins, all but one of which have disappeared from the Cedar Fair chain in the last handful of summers.

I'm interested in seeing what happens to the other rides in the chain that would appear to have expensive upkeep costs, like Volcano at Kings Dominion, Sledgehammer at Wonderland, Xcelerator at Knott's, and so on.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Arrow said:

If they do wind up scrapping it, do you think they will savor some parts and end up selling them as souvenirs? I know some parks do this, and it would be cool to get my hands on a wheel or something.

I would take something, but I doubt they will. It's not anywhere near the level of SoB leaving.

I'm no expert at what goes on at Wonderland behind the scenes, but in all of Wonderland's history, they have only dismantled one roller coaster so far.

Flight Deck of course is not nearly as popular as it used to be. I mean within the Paramount era, arguably Top Gun was the star attraction of Canada's Wonderland right until Cedar Fair took over. I have a personal bias against Time Warp and personally would like to see it go, but I don't see it leaving anytime soon.

I could be wrong, but I think out of newer rides, say from Paramount ownership onwards, only really Sledgehammer has long maintenance. Even so, it doesn't seem to have as many problems as a ride like WindSeeker does.....I even saw WindSeeker malfunction last Saturday.

For the most part, Wonderland has made uncanny designs to fit more recent roller coasters in, sure the Skyrider was removed in 2014, but I wondered before, how such rides like Behemoth or Leviathan were possible to build without compromising rides. I'm sure Wonderland doesn't want to remove any more roller coasters unless they REALLY have to.

• Like 3

Ok so I got to Kings Island last weekend to get my rides with Firehawk before it’s demise. Man what a great coaster... especially when you just let your body go limp and float through the whole thing. Was definitely in my top 5 at the park so I really hope they do something great with the land. It saddened me to see they didn’t get the On Ride photo set up for its last runs in the park though.... would have been nice to had one last one(not to mention a good profit for them) Anyway i was glad to get in quite a few day and night rides in before it was gone. 86b466e24fa00f2c51bc8e82a16a9070.jpg7ae7de9d792e6f79b80c81707e3e66d0.jpgc6f3a50a6daa966df6e27997e756abba.jpga7f8ecf6bd9e81e9f7ecc60a8381a84e.jpg8983ffb515c243a77858daebc4f79a3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7