Firehawk Leaving Kings Island 10/28/18

Info I obtained from Don at the KIBlog meet up.

Firehawk will be dismantled not torn down.

Unknown if it will be relocated.

We don't know if the station will be removed with FH or kept for a haunt?

No information if anything will replace it at this time.

20181020_140831.jpg

20181020_140807.jpg

20181020_140653.jpg

20181020_140709.jpg

20181020_135056.jpg

20181020_135542.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

20181020_140831.jpg

20181020_140807.jpg

20181020_140653.jpg

20181020_140709.jpg

20181020_135056.jpg

20181020_135542.jpg

So what you're really saying is you're a man that can keep a secret and only you and your family know what's coming next. :D

• Like 1

A deduction: they want to sell it, but they don't have a buyer. Given what the CEO has said about cutting cost, I wouldn't expect to see it moved within the chain.

I wonder who they expect to sell to. Firehawk probably costs too much to operate for a smaller park. Surely anyone who's Cedar Fair-sized or bigger either has a Flying Dutchman and knows what they're up against with them or else has been paying attention to what Cedar Fair is doing? Maybe they're looking to sell it to some up-and-coming buyer in Dubai or China.

• Like 4

Yeah, the PR makes its almost impossible to sell in the US. Foreign country though, I guess they may not read the US PR. Still, if they intended to sell it as a working ride, why handicap themselves with the outlived its service life(can't recall the exact verbiage) line? Just say its being removed for future expansion and its not bad PR for another park to buy it in the US. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, homestar92 said:

^Anyone have pictures from similar angles from the KIC event back in 2012 or 2013 when we got a behind the scenes Firehawk tour? I'd like to see what 5 or 6 years of wear and tear to the paint looks like.

Yes there are!

http://s683.photobucket.com/user/perdueb24/library/KIC day 6-15-13

• Like 2

On 10/20/2018 at 3:56 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

20181020_140831.jpg

20181020_140807.jpg

20181020_140653.jpg

20181020_140709.jpg

20181020_135056.jpg

20181020_135542.jpg

DORNEY 2020!!!!!!! Just kidding. I’d assume this coaster would sell extremely quickly on the resale market.

Also, who else would buy this if they won the lottery?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

DORNEY 2020!!!!!!! Just kidding. I’d assume this coaster would sell extremely quickly on the resale market.

Also, who else would buy this if they won the lottery?

I have thought about that before and determined I wouldn’t even want to buiild my own Intamin or RMC as it would just get boring riding the same thing again and again. Instead I would just buy the highest level VIP tours at various parks.  (And some big burly bouncers to clear a path through the crowds.  :lol:)

Oh and some teens to run across the park to the nearest open Freestyle stand.  :D

I would install one in my kitchen as well.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I can not believe you did not say B&M Dive! I thought that was your favorite.

Valravn is amazing, but an Inverted Impulse would be better. Though on second thought, a Dive coaster with a good layout and seating like Valravn would be a great second option...

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 6:20 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

A deduction: they want to sell it, but they don't have a buyer. Given what the CEO has said about cutting cost, I wouldn't expect to see it moved within the chain.

I wonder who they expect to sell to. Firehawk probably costs too much to operate for a smaller park. Surely anyone who's Cedar Fair-sized or bigger either has a Flying Dutchman and knows what they're up against with them or else has been paying attention to what Cedar Fair is doing? Maybe they're looking to sell it to some up-and-coming buyer in Dubai or China.

Rumor has it, that it may go to Dorney.

20 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I don’t see how the coaster can go somewhere else and the park’s claim “the ride has reached the end of its service life” can remain operative at the same time.  If it continues to operate it still has service life and has not reached the end.

A lot goes into determining when a ride closes -- ridership, downtime, marketability, maintenance costs, possible renovation costs, staffing costs, real estate development opportunities, etc. It reached the end of it's service life for KI, but that doesn't mean someone else can't buy it, renovate it, and operate it.

My guess is that a possible buyer would only be buying the track, supports, and trains. I assume that due to its age the control and logic systems are extremely outdated. I'm sure KI has made countless modifications over the years that probably just wouldn't work once disassembled. If a park picks it up for $8-$11 million, and they invest another couple million into completely redoing the electrical systems, they'd essentially have a brand new attraction on their hands for less than $15 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 139Signal27 said:

A lot goes into determining when a ride closes -- ridership, downtime, marketability, maintenance costs, possible renovation costs, staffing costs, real estate development opportunities, etc. It reached the end of it's service life for KI, but that doesn't mean someone else can't buy it, renovate it, and operate it.

My guess is that a possible buyer would only be buying the track, supports, and trains. I assume that due to its age the control and logic systems are extremely outdated. I'm sure KI has made countless modifications over the years that probably just wouldn't work once disassembled. If a park picks it up for $8-$11 million, and they invest another couple million into completely redoing the electrical systems, they'd essentially have a brand new attraction on their hands for less than $15 million.

$15 million could be used on a coaster that you can actually get parts for. Firehawk will probably be scrapped I doubt anyone will buy it. What's left will be used for Nighthawk at Carowinds.

• Like 3