Phone Charging

trishnknox

Welcome to KIC!

I have never used the charging stands at the park but I have seen the tangle of cords so imagine they have a lightning cable.   IPhones can at most accept 1.5 mAh at 5V so I would never consider standing around for an hour or so waiting for a phone to charge.  

I always carry a lipstick size power bank in the park and a cable.  I have a couple of these RavPower ones that carry an 18 month warranty.  They are very small and light and generally all I need.  But I do have several larger ones and will occasionally bring one of them if I am expecting a long day at the park and need to use the phone a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Chargers-RAVPower-Technology-Smartphones/dp/B00ZZYBAI2

Anker also has a good one similarly sized on amazon but is more expensive.

This Ravpower is a bit bigger but will charge an iPhone 2x and about 50% faster as it has a 2A port.  (Edit: provided you have a quality lightning cable such as an Anker or OEM.  Many cheapos do not allow a full power)

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RAVPower-Technology-External-Smartphones/dp/B06XQ8J81R

I kind of geek out on the whole changing thing so if you have any other quations feel free to ask.  With a family of 4 I have over a dozen different power banks in the house.

• Like 2

Welcome to KIC!
I have never used the charging stands at the park but I have seen the tangle of cords so imagine they have a lightning cable.   IPhones can at most accept 1.5 mAh at 5V ....

My iPhone Xs has fast charge and can charge quicker than that, so this isn’t correct. I ha e for years used an iPad charger to charge my iPhone faster.

31 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

My iPhone Xs has fast charge and can charge quicker than that, so this isn’t correct. I ha e for years used an iPad charger to charge my iPhone faster.

That is true the lastest iPhones do have faster charging.  Some of of the older iPad charges were 12W but recent ones are 10W.  Even with a 2.4A charging port an iPhone up through 7 can only charge at 1.5A.   Thanks for the correction.

iphone 8 and up can charge faster if you use a USB-C PD to lightning cable or adapter and the source conforms to USB PD (Power Delivery)  Anything PD is still rather expensive, I just got a PD power bank and wall wart for our Nintendo Switch’s and it was around $100.  

Have no idea if the charging stations at KI support PD or even Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 or 3.0 for Android.  I doubt it but I don’t have a USB 3 meter yet but may bring my USB 2 meter sometime and see what the stations deliver out of curiosity.  

• Like 1

This still doesn’t seem right. I seem to remember series 6 & series 7 being able to charge at 2.1a. It was the standard charging rate, when the first FastCharge/QuickCharge devices were working at 2.4a.

1.5a is way too low. It was many series ago when that was standard. 1.5a won’t maintain any device today.

Did a search for this. Even the Apple articles indicate 6 & 7 devices not having specific name branded charging options, but able to charge at 2.1a.

2 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

This still doesn’t seem right. I seem to remember series 6 & series 7 being able to charge at 2.1a. It was the standard charging rate, when the first FastCharge/QuickCharge devices were working at 2.4a.

1.5a is way too low. It was many series ago when that was standard. 1.5a won’t maintain any device today.

Did a search for this. Even the Apple articles indicate 6 & 7 devices not having specific name branded charging options, but able to charge at 2.1a.

Well I don’t have any Apple OEM cables left to test but I do have plenty of Mifi certified Anker cables.   They will charge my iPad 2 Air at 2.38A but the most I can get out of a 6, 6s or 7 is 1.48.  Haven’t recently tested my wife’s 8 but will check it when it is low sometime.  Could be wrong but I will verify over the next couple days. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

The only other thought is, almost full batteries always charge slower and do older devices that aren’t great in Apple Battery Health charge slower?

Not sure, but I had Apple replace the battery in my 6 and 6S in the spring so those are relatively fresh.   Been trying to look up some specs but not finding anything definitive.   Most reviews are not scientific and just use “it took x hours to charge using Y adapter” not finding anything using actual amperage draw.   Anantech sometimes has more detailed reviews so will check there next.   Another thought is the Plus models may have different specs.   

On 10/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, fyrfyter said:

The only other thought is, almost full batteries always charge slower and do older devices that aren’t great in Apple Battery Health charge slower?

They charge slower they closer they are to full. That’s built into the software to help with battery health (mainly heat).

A battery health of 90% gets approximately 90% of the life on a full charge that a new battery would. That’s all that means. I do not believe that charging is affected by battery health.

I do not believe that charging is affected by battery health.

But we can’t verify that. Apple isn’t exactly forthcoming about info like that.

The other stuff I already knew. But if they throttle the processor on older batteries, there isn’t any reason why they couldn’t slow charging on older batteries.