Kings Island Area Themes

Klabergian Empire

I have been coming to Kings Island for many years. The park has a great selection of rides and attractions for everyone who visits and I love it. But, throughout the years, I have noticed that Kings Island has ( I'll put it) neglected in one area: Theme. If you look at each individual area itself, you will see what I mean. Starting with Action Zone, if I had to rate it out of 10, it would receive at least an 8. Overall, not too bad; decent theme; could use a little improvement. Oktoberfest is a complete disaster! When Kings Island opened, it was full out German with a Bier Hall & Gardens, music, and German themed rides and was supposed to celebrate Cincinnati's German heritage. If you walked around it today, the only thing that is even remotely close to what it should be is the interior of the Festhaus. So, I would rate this at most a 4 out of 10. My advice: BRING BACK THE GERMAN THEME! Looking at Coney Mall, it would receive a 7 out of 10. Coney Mall is supposed to resemble Coney Island Mall, which I think it does a great job of doing. The only problem is the truest possible feeling of the Coney Island nostalgia isn't what it could be. Looking at Rivertown, it has a somewhat similar case that Oktoberfest. Rivertown's original theme was the old west; but where is it? I understand the theme was partially removed from the KI&MVRR because of the waterpark, but again: where is it? I think it would be cool if the brought at least some of the old west theme back to show people what life was like many years ago. So, I will give Rivertown a 7. Planet Snoopy will recieve the highest score; a 9 out of 10. The theme is right in spot, it makes a great area for the kids; all the good stuff. The only problem with this is that the log flume should be in Rivertown, not Planet Snoopy. And finally, International Street. I'm rating this a 5 out of 10. Again, almost very similar situation with Oktoberfest: the original theme isn't there. International Street used to be a boulevard of shops themed from countries around the world; but now it isn't; sadly. 

• Confused 1

Doesn't I-Street get its name moreso on the fact that the buildings themselves draw on different cultural architectural styles?

Also, I'm sure we all know who caused detheming.....PARAMOUNT! It was them after all who put a mysterious temple in Rivertown.....

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...
37 minutes ago, HandsUp said:

The older I get, the more I value the theming. And yes, I'll blame Paramount for the wholesale de-theming. I-street is still awesome, and I'd say coney mall has held up well. Rivertown could use some sprucing up-and Octoberfest definitely needs an infusion. 

Rivertown was spruced up in 2017, but yes I think some more upgrades would be nice, but not too necessary right now. I think the back end of Coney is next for more upgrades due to the removal of Vortex.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I just want Oktoberfest to get Der Spinnen Keggers & have hanks be removed and have the original facade back.

YES! Get the original Bier Garten and German restaurant back. Along with the return of Oktoberfest flat rides and the removal of Sling Shot. Sling Shot does't really fit well with Oktoberfest. They could (possibly) re-theme Adventure Express into a German themed roller coaster (Bavarian Beetle?). 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Kings Island is most likely getting a flat ride for the 2021 season based off of the notice of commencement, one ride I think that would be a cool flat / “rollercoaster” would be a Skywarp. I could see it fitting well into Area 72. 

I agree! And it looks cool, too.

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2020 at 12:26 PM, Benjamin22 said:

Kings Island is most likely getting a flat ride for the 2021 season based off of the notice of commencement, one ride I think that would be a cool flat / “rollercoaster” would be a Skywarp. I could see it fitting well into Area 72. 

I would be surpised if we see any more skywarps built in its original form.  Everything that I have read about the one Six Flags installed at Discovery Kingdom is that it has a lot of reliability issues, its rough and not liked very much.  Six Flags loves to build clones of things and this is the only one they have built so far.

Sea World San Diego built a different verision called a skywarp horizon that I have not heard much about.

50 minutes ago, goettablitz said:

I would be surpised if we see any more skywarps built in its original form.  Everything that I have read about the one Six Flags installed at Discovery Kingdom is that it has a lot of reliability issues, its rough and not liked very much.  Six Flags loves to build clones of things and this is the only one they have built so far.

Sea World San Diego built a different verision called a skywarp horizon that I have not heard much about.

I wonder if they would put in a parachute ride....

I think Action Zone needs to be kept "spooky"

A chunk of KI's identity comes from paranormal activity and folklore- @KIghostguy can attest to that. I think if you complete Action Zone and give it that type of spooky vibe it would reflect well. 

Some ideas would be install more gothic lamp posts with flame LED bulbs. Make the area seem more eerie, especially towards night time. The area doesn't have to be themed to Europe as Banshees can also be linked to Cincinnati since a lot of us natives have Irish roots. Maybe make some of the buildings more primitive and reminiscent of 19th century architecture. I'm thinking as a whole, give the area a "haunted town" feel. (If you've ever walked through downtown Lebanon at night you know what I mean)

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think Action Zone needs to be kept "spooky"

A chunk of KI's identity comes from paranormal activity and folklore- @KIghostguy can attest to that. I think if you complete Action Zone and give it that type of spooky vibe it would reflect well. 

Some ideas would be install more gothic lamp posts with flame LED bulbs. Make the area seem more eerie, especially towards night time. The area doesn't have to be themed to Europe as Banshees can also be linked to Cincinnati since a lot of us natives have Irish roots. Maybe make some of the buildings more primitive and reminiscent of 19th century architecture. I'm thinking as a whole, give the area a "haunted town" feel. (If you've ever walked through downtown Lebanon at night you know what I mean)

I honestly think if AZ was rethemed a spooky theme would be the way to go. My question is will it appear as a year round Haunt or how could you make it seem like its own thing but not so much as a Haunt?

2 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I honestly think if AZ was rethemed a spooky theme would be the way to go. My question is will it appear as a year round Haunt or how could you make it seem like its own thing but not so much as a Haunt?

I'd just say spooky and have the rides themed as such. I'll make some type of concept art or something

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

If Invertigo is staying around for a while, they could easily rename it Screamin' Demon.  Congo Falls could be Rhine River Falls or something.

The "Rhine River Falls" idea kinda makes sense. Late 1800's to pre-WWI Germany had a colony in eastern Africa called Deutsch-Ostafrika, or in english German East Africa. For those wondering, that former colony makes up the modern day nations of Burundi, Rwanda, and Tanzania. Anyways, that area was filled with rivers and lakes and there was one river (can't remember it's specific location and modern day name) that led into Lake Tanganyika that the Germans called Der Afrikanische Rhine, or The African Rhine. And just before the river emptied into the lake, there was a big waterfall there (still is). 

So yeah, it kinda makes sense.

• Like 1

@Magenta Lizard , I agree as well, but there is always room for improvement. As it stands, the four absolutely standout attractions are Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, The Beast and White Water Canyon, of course. It may seem silly of me to bring it up, but a rumor that I heard floating around elsewhere on the web are that an attraction similar to Cedar Point's interactive attraction--Forbidden Frontier--could be coming to a park such as Kings Island. I do think that this could be one such way to bring some new life to areas like Rivertown, reinvigorating the theme of an Old West frontier town.

I do have to digress: an ideal way to place such a thing in the park would be to utilize some land where Vortex once stood, redrawing the boundaries of Rivertown to encompass such an attraction. Of course, KI has no plans in the works as far as we know; who knows what they'll do with it in the future?