Newly Themed Area?

upstop

With Canada’s Wonderland getting Frontier Canada themed area and Carowinds getting Blue Ridge Junction, do you think Kings Island will get a newly themed area? So, to speculate:

1. Could Kings Island get a retheming of a current area? And what area do you think Kings Island needs the most retheming?

3. Could Kings Island get a newly themed area? And what would they theme it to?

if a single area in Kings Island needed to be rethemed, I think Action Zone. Since Paratmount left the park, I think the name still kind of points to action movies, They could retheme it to some medieval fair.

if they were to get a new/ quasi-new themed area, X-Base could be themed to an alien invasion with cool extreme European flat rides.

I agree about Action Zone. I think a dark forest theme could be cool and could transition nicely from the more tree filled Oktoberfest. Banshee and Bat would fit in well and could easily retheme the remaining rides and building. Mostly some paint and plant some more trees around and it’s set. Could even connect it more to Oktoberfest and theme it around the Black Forest.

• Like 6

To interject, a park usually rethemes an area after they add a new coaster to keep people in that area of the park. Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland are doing a good job bringing some theming to areas that haven't seen much of anything. You could argue KI did this when they built Banshee- they brought back The Bat to add to the spookiness, they added a new seating area, and they repainted Delirium. The only thing I wish they did more of was repaint Drop Tower and rename Invertigo the Demon- but other than that, they did a good job trying to get rid of the Paramount vibe. 

• Like 2

I say bring back the Adventure Village name to Action Zone; most of the rides in that area could somehow fit under that umbrella. This new area could also include that little strip of land with Slingshot, Adventure Express, the Coke stand, and perhaps even Hank’s. Festhaus and Viking Fury could either be what’s left of Oktoberfest or absorbed into International Street.

• Like 3

Would hate to see Oktoberfest go as I htink it's a great area but there is so little of it left. That's why i'd love to see it connected with the current AZ for new theming. Think the Banshee and Bat names but seem to fit a dark forest theme Could make Inveritgo Sepctre, add some trees which are always nice for shade and appearance, and repaint Drop Tower (with a new name). Couldpossibly even remove Invertigo and WWC for an expansion pad for a new small coaster and/or flat. If you wanted to up it more could also give a facelift to Adventure Express and get effects working more and maybe change a few and give it a more German theme to fit into the area, like a trip through the Black Forest like Verbolten

• Like 1

I'd like to see the park do what KD did for the 40th--they renamed/themed The Grove (I think that is what it was called) back to Candy Apple Grove and (I think) The Congo back to Safari Village.  Not sure if IS had retained its charm, but it was very charming.  KI could do this with Action Zone (back to Adventure Village) and Rivertown.  (No name change, but bring back more themed items to the area.)

Action Zone is horrible.  Totally generic and barren.

The easiest re-theme would be Transylvania for that area, since they already did some type of theming on Banshee and all of the other buildings in the area are non-themed.  Plus The Bat is already named for Transylvania.

Oktoberfest needs a flat ride package like Carowinds got for their new County Fair and retheme Adventure Express to Barvarian Mountain railroad. That would bring the area alive again.

• Like 3

Great idea! I wonder if they still hold the copyright for the name? It would be cool to have a Dark Castle type ride there as well. Maybe update Congo Falls to an indoor ride themed to catacombs. Maybe rename Invertigo to Hangman’s Noose.

Most Arrow Custom Loopers are unique and provide a different experience. The timing also plays a role in additions. Cedar Point got Corkscrew in 1976, Kings Island got Vortex in 1987. Cedar Point built Valravn in 2016. If Kings Island were to build a Dive Machine, it would be way down the line, just not any time soon.

7 minutes ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

The timing also plays a role in additions. Cedar Point got Corkscrew in 1976, Kings Island got Vortex in 1987. 

I don't see how Cedar Point's addition of Corkscrew forced KI to wait 11 years before adding one of their own- especially since both parks were owned by different companies. 

• Like 3

On 10/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, purdude86 said:

I agree about Action Zone. I think a dark forest theme could be cool and could transition nicely from the more tree filled Oktoberfest. Banshee and Bat would fit in well and could easily retheme the remaining rides and building. Mostly some paint and plant some more trees around and it’s set. Could even connect it more to Oktoberfest and theme it around the Black Forest.

I think Action Zone should have been rebranded back in 2014 when Banshee was built and The Bat came back. It could have been renamed "Scream Zone" "Thrill Zone" or something simple. I agree we need more trees in that area, especially by Timberwolf; I might be the minority but I'd get rid of or move Congo Falls and Xtreme Skyflyer in favor of planting more trees. 

On 10/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, kingsislandfan1972 said:

I’d say combine Oktoberfest with Action Zone to make a whole new land, like with a spooky forest theme, but hey I’m just spouting off ideas...

I think Oktoberfest should stay how it is but feed off of Action Zone. Oktoberfest is a nice transition between Action Zone and Coney Mall, with exception of Hank's Burrito Shack. 

• Like 2

On 10/24/2018 at 10:46 PM, SonofBaconator said:

That could work, or a Dive Machine named the Demon in the Timber Wolf area

Demon final.jpg

Even though I don't really care for dive coasters, I would actually be okay with that. You go into AZ, you have Banshee and Bat on the right, and you have Invertigo and Demon on the left. Basically they could make AZ the place where parents who don't ride coasters can sit and rest and let their kids run around and ride multiple rides in the same area while being close to their parents. How about this timeline for coasters 2020-B&M giga in Xbase and 2022/23 B&M dive in AZ. To me it works and would keep drawing in the crowds.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think theme needs to be improved in the park overall. It certainly has gotten better from when Paramount ran the park but I think everybody can agree that Kings Island had its best theming when Taft operated the park. The train still had its props, rides like Phantom Theater and Adventure Express were a huge hit, and everything was more "magical."

Small little changes could do the park some good. If I were to add to the theme around the park here's what I would do-

I'd make the tunnel in The Bat line a cave and add audio to make it sound like there are bats around you. I bring back the props on the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad or at least add something for people to look at. I would retheme White Water Canyon to tie into Mystic Timbers with Mystic Timbers audio vines throughout the course of the rapids and other small touches.

Small changes like this show a lot to both enthusiasts and guests at the park; it shows that Kings Island is staying fresh and putting heart into their Park. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, kingsislandfan1972 said:

I’d say combine Oktoberfest with Action Zone to make a whole new land, like with a spooky forest theme, but hey I’m just spouting off ideas...

They should make the whole area Octoberfest/Black Forest. Action Zone doesn't have the shade or ambiance as it stands, but that could be changed. I'd love to see Drop Tower painted with Bavarian diamonds like a gigantic maypole.

• Like 2