Newly Themed Area?

upstop

Action Zone is definitely the arm pit of the park.  I feel like they did an ok job refreshing it when they got Banshee but then kinda gave up half way.  Congo is completely outdated and could be replaced with a better water attraction or even some new flats/family coaster.  I totally agree with the Black Forest theme, Invertigo to Demon would be awesome.  I'm sure X-Base is their main focus right now but Action Zone should be a top priority. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly think that X-Base needs a lot of work. The theme is awesome and well done, but with Firehawk now defunct, there is only one ride, Flight of Fear. This area will need some flats or something to make it interesting. It seems like they have a lot of activity in that area in general, and I have noticed that they have moved some of the trains and go karts that used to be able to be seen from Firehawk's lift hill. 

It might be a long shot, but I think that it would be awesome if they added a trackless dark ride game to X-Base, as this could be more of a family ride. It would also be cool if we could get something like Soarin' at Disney parks, but themed to outer space.  A third option would be some sort of robotic arm motion simulator (similar to Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey style of vehicle), but trying to re-capture aliens or something. These could all be tied into FOF, as they could say that the aliens have escaped the facility and need to be tracked back down.  I think that there is a need for more dark rides at Kings Island.

Now, I know Outpost 5 is supposed to be a base in the woods, but if they did X-Base, they could theme it to a secret government base. Outpost 5 could be cryptids, and tie into the theme of The Beast, Mystic Timbers (the weird tree thing), and while also referencing the SOB. Then, there could be an Area 51 section, with theme being abnormalities from space. If this is all under the theme of a secret government base, they could have a lot of room to expand that theme in the future. Disney just added Pandora, has a Guardians of the Galaxy ride rumored to be in the works and one in operation, and will be opening Galaxy's edge next year. The space/sci-fi theme definitely works, and it would not surprise me if Cedar Fair has taken notice of this trend. I know this is a huge stretch, but in my mind it all makes sense. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I just wonder how they’d expand X base. Those leaked plans, if real, show the current maintenance buildings staying. That area is pretty tight right now and it doesn’t seem like there’s much room to grow. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer*
This is an idea, this is in no way an actual plan. This is simply what I would like to see happen to X-Base in the future. I know some of this won’t end up happening due to its proximity to the maintenance buildings and other reasons beyond that. Sorry about the long explanation ahead.

We know based on plans and other leaks that we will be receiving a major coaster by B&M in the near future, most likely in 2020, land clearing has already began for this attraction so I’ve marked off a large section based on that area.

Moving down I’ve marked off a small area right across from the FOF entrance. I would like to see a food/ drink area. I could realistically see a drink station going in here, especially with increased foot traffic due to the new attraction going in. 

Down towards the entrance I’ve marked off an area for a tilt-A-whirl as requested by @IndyGuy4KI. Pretty sure it could fit although it would be a tight fit, theme it to alien spaceships and were good to go. This would also give people something else to do in X-Base besides riding a major coaster. 

Now I’ll talk about the area that I marked off in front of FOF’s building, if you’ve been back in X-Base, you know that area is kind of ugly. It’s just the side of a metal building, I was thinking that a shop could go in this spot, this could be Were the incoming attractions shop could be if it doesn’t go below or around the station. It would be a tight fit but would make the area look a little nicer. Another thing I could see going in here would be some theming, think about how cool a big alien monster thing coming out of the side of the building would be! This would definitely make the area a lot cooler and easier to look at. 

Now moving over to the side of the FOF building. I’ve marked a rather large area over here, I’ve also left some room along the outside for a service road to replace the ones that the area would go over. I imagine a couple of things going in over here. First things first! The much needed X-Base bathrooms. We need em, we want em, nothing else said. Then to the left of the bathrooms, I could see another flat-ride or mini thrill attraction going in this area, but a nice sit down restaurant could go in this area too, but it can definitely be argued that more room would be needed. Than right above this area, I have an idea that is probably the dumbest one on here, put in a Sci-Fi themed interactive area, basically Knott’s Ghost Town alive but themed to aliens. If they could make it family  friendly as well that would be neat. 

I know lots of these ideas are dumb or downright impossible, but I think they would be neat.

86448173-D3B1-4DF0-A7C6-F78A5A25E95E.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Judging by many of the last few CF additions, and given this is the biggest project to hit the park since 09, I'm hoping to see a pretty decent amount of theming there next year when Polaris (or whatever it ends up being called) opens. I have a hard time seeing them just open up this new ride, and have the rest of the area looking sort of bland the way it does today, so I'm guessing we will see FoF spruced up a bit on the outside and maybe some additional theming throughout that area. Seeing as it looks like there is a good chance Project X also has sort of a sci-fi or space theme, I think it makes sense to try and tie the rides together somehow at least in a loose sense. Fingers crossed they really knock the theming out of the park on this one, It would be sad to see them backtrack especially on such a major attraction.

As far as the floats, I thought they were storing them in that new structure they put up, is that what you're referring to?

As of right now, I'm having a hard time seeing X-Base becoming it's own area of the park in the same way that AZ is. It's still a pretty small area and as far as I can tell it doesn't look to me as if they're going to be able to fit much more back there after the new attraction, could be wrong though. That being said since it really doesn't fit in at all with the whole turn of the century midway theme, I do think it will be made to feel as if it's a distinct area of the park.

13 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

As far as the floats, I thought they were storing them in that new structure they put up, is that what you're referring to?

My question is if the storage building will permanently be for floats or if it'll serve a different purpose after the event ends in July.

15 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

My question is if the storage building will permanently be for floats or if it'll serve a different purpose after the event ends in July.

It's only covered on top right? I maybe it's just a temporary staging area for events throughout the season? Not sure what else it could be for.

16 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I wonder with its popularity if Grand Carnivale will be a yearly event. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have a feeling with the new addition, Xbase is going to get an expansion with more over in that area.  Action Zone feels really... odd.  I agree with completely re-themeing that area and do like the Dark Forest idea... If that were the case, could be get some shade?

• 3 weeks later...

I think they need to completely rebuild the walkway back to The Bat.

The Bat is in the way of further expansion already.

I think what may happen in future is The Bat is removed, the entire area expanded further into the woods, plenty of things to add along the way like stands, restaurant, etc.

Back in this area, they would have the room for some flat rides and a decent sized coaster as well, even some World Record coaster if the timing is right.

On the other hand, they need a ride towering over the entrance of the park like Leviathan and GateKeeper, BUT Invertigo is in the way and I dont see them removing or relocating it since they just replaced the train on it this year.

Perhaps a large enough ride can tower over the trees to make itself known? Fury 325 isn't directly in the front but close to it within walking distance.

• 11 months later...

It was fun to read back on some of the wishlists in this thread.

The great news: We got our Giga in X-Base and KI knocked it out of the park with themeing.  We got a new food stand and new restrooms (sort of, not the full sized ones that people were probably wishing for).

That being said, Action Zone still needs help.  Seeing the markers around the Columbia Road area gives me hope that Action Zone sees some love in the next couple years.  I do like the Black Forest idea and could easily see Oktoberfest just taking over the whole area of Action Zone.  Renaming Invertigo to the Demon, Congo could become Rhine River Falls, and add some family flats like a Tilt a Whirl and Musik Express where Timberwolf is would really re-enliven that area of the park and wouldn't break the bank either.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

It was fun to read back on some of the wishlists in this thread.

The great news: We got our Giga in X-Base and KI knocked it out of the park with themeing.  We got a new food stand and new restrooms (sort of, not the full sized ones that people were probably wishing for).

That being said, Action Zone still needs help.  Seeing the markers around the Columbia Road area gives me hope that Action Zone sees some love in the next couple years.  I do like the Black Forest idea and could easily see Oktoberfest just taking over the whole area of Action Zone.  Renaming Invertigo to the Demon, Congo could become Rhine River Falls, and add some family flats like a Tilt a Whirl and Musik Express where Timberwolf is would really re-enliven that area of the park and wouldn't break the bank either.  

I have a feeling we'll see both Invertigo and Congo Falls get removed instead of getting renamed. Then they get replaced by a new coaster with a medieval like theme.

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I have a feeling we'll see both Invertigo and Congo Falls get removed instead of getting renamed. Then they get replaced by a new coaster with a medieval like theme.

Actually, I could see the park putting in a coaster near the front of the park without removing any rides if they stretch it from the Son of Beast station to the main gate (I could see Timberwolf being removed). I really think they should put the entrance to a new ride in the very back of Action Zone near The Bat’s entrance because that area of the park is ALWAYS dead. Regardless, I hope they completely redo Action Zone when it receives its next major addition. Action Zone looks pretty bad in my opinion. Action Zone and Planet Snoopy are the two areas in the dry park that need the most love. Soak City is another story.

• Like 1

If you want over the top medieval/spooky theming, look at Fenix at Toverland! Their whole queue is indoors and themed and the whole prelift is indoors! Ik CF wouldn't go this level, but I would love Cedar Fair to try an indoor pre-lift show since they did start trying a post ride show (MT shed), a pre launch show (Copperhead Strike barn) and a queue line show building before the station (Orion). 

Here is a video on the queue and POV of Fenix at Toverland: 

• Like 3