How Much Longer For Boo Blasters On Boo Hill?

kingsislandfan1972

I love Boo Blasters, the concept.  The execution is terrible (though my kids love it, so I'm good).  All it needs is a good rehab and proper maintenance.  Retheme it while they are at it, so that if feels fresh, but keep the same "tone".  Make sure the guns work right, all the time, every time (that is my biggest complaint).  Rework most of the props and targets so they don't feel overly cheapish.  Indoor, air conditioned dark interactive dark ride will always be a great concept.  The biggest issue with the rides in this building (including Phantom Theater) is the lack of proper maintenance.  Being constrained to a seat isn't a big deal as the seat is in constant motion.

Some concepts that could be messed around with, allowing the riders to work as a team, or as individuals.  Make each of the 3 guns color coded, and you get bonus points for shooting at targets that are the same color.  Such that in a team concept, the left side could shoot all the red targets, the middle gun could shoot all the blue and the right gun could shoot all the white targets (or whatever color/scheme you wanted to set).  But in an individual battle, the person on the right, could knock out the person on the lefts target not allowing them to gain the bonus points.  Something like that would transform the ride from something you ride once and move on to something you want to try again on the alternate path.

Include in-ride audio.  A theme track if you will, but allow the user(s) to pick the theme.

There should be a lot of room in that building (even more if they used the other side, could they make it multi-layered?  Perhaps even set it up so that different cars take different paths so that each ride could be even more unique and enter different rooms that you didn't see the last time.

Make the guns work, above all the guns and targets need to work on a consistent basis to make me want to ride without the kids.

17 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I would like to see the ride demolished. Keep the building but put a completely new ride system in there. KI really needs an immersive dark ride experience.

I think they could use the same ride system but have a better experience.

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I'm not even particularly excited about this.  I think anything they'd put there would be the same quality, just with Charlie Brown.  

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong!

I feel like a Charlie Brown-themed dark ride would still be more interesting than the knock-off haunted house/shooter they have now (but again, my kids love it). 

I liked the idea someone had a few posts up. Enter through a dog house and then have the dark ride just be a year in the life of Charlie Brown and his friends, going through the different seasons. Just a fun, relaxing, happy ride. Yes, it is basically exactly what the Smurfs Enchanted Voyage did, but why not homage one of the park's classics? I'd rather there be something special there than the boring Boo Blasters (and young kids need a quiet, relaxing ride. The Whirlybirds are the only one right now). 

• Like 1

IMHO, I love the ride even though it is no Phantom Theater.  And sometimes the guns work well, sometimes they don't.  Bummer, but life is too short to worry about guns working on a silly little dark ride.  Just enjoy the ride :)

It seems to still draw a ton of riders, so I doubt the park will change it any time soon. 

Honestly I'm on board with the fix the guns and the ride is fine gang. It works well for kids and not terrible for adults imo. Not that I would be opposed to a dark ride that moves quicker and is a little more tough for adults.

The most annoying thing with boo blasters is that you can, one-time, get a gun that works and get 3,000+ points and the next time get a gun that doesn't work at all or one that works only half of the time and you get like 1,500 points.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 10:44 PM, kingsislandfan1972 said:

How about a Space themed dark ride, including the moon planets and aliens? 

Lol I’m just spouting out a possible idea.

That could work! They then could tie it in with the "Space Beagle"

On 11/26/2018 at 2:03 PM, SonofBaconator said:

With the rate KI is bringing back old favorites- eagles, antiques, Winterfest, The Bat, etc I wouldn't put it past the park to bring back Phantom Theater in some form or another.  

I've been thinking the same thing and God I hope that they do it.

On 10/21/2018 at 2:18 PM, kingsislandfan1972 said:

Simple question, how much longer do you think that Boo Blasters On Boo Hill will be at Kings Island? In my opinion when I went this weekend, it was even worse than last year the guns barely worked and some of the props in the ride didn’t even move or interact with being shot at. I wonder if Kings Island has any plans for this ride, possibly we can see it return as a dark non-shooting ride in the future but what do you all think?

Sorry for the double post but as to the original question, I think Boo Blasters days are numbered at this point. Anywhere I go where Kings Island is being discussed, I see loads and loads of complaints about this attraction and I'm sure the park is well aware. If I had to guess, it's on a list somewhere of things to be revamped within the next few years. As to when that will be, I don't have a guess except to say I'd bet it's sometime within the next 5 years or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

BUMP (as this is the only dedicated Boo Blasters thread I could find...)

I rode last night and I was just blown away by how long Boo Blasters has lasted in that building. I would like to see something replace it when its time comes; it's a great building and I don't want to see it go empty.

Also..

Spoiler

I saw they reused the Flight of Cheer red and green lights (I think?) as well as the last room was a little freaky with the red/green lights and the skeletons with Santa hats on.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, MDMC01 said:

I rode last night and I was just blown away by how long Boo Blasters has lasted in that building.

I think 2020 will be the ride's 10th season. That's how long all the other dark rides in that spot lasted, with the exception of Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion(which sucks cause that ride was my childhood). 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I still think they'll keep the lazer-guns but maybe bring back Phantom Theater much like how Knott's brought back Bear-y Tales

If they do that, I hope they keep some of the Boo Blasters animatronics or at least have a nod to the ride (like I said Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion was my Childhood). And I really hope they use some of the original Phantom Theater animatronics. I don't know if they still have them, but I know they kept them for awhile and displayed them during Haunts.

1 hour ago, DiamondBeast said:

If they do that, I hope they keep some of the Boo Blasters animatronics or at least have a nod to the ride (like I said Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion was my Childhood). And I really hope they use some of the original Phantom Theater animatronics. I don't know if they still have them, but I know they kept them for awhile and displayed them during Haunts.

If they do recycle the animatronics from Phantom Theater, they will definitely need a refurbishment. Maybe combining older Phantom Theater animatronics and creating some more modern animatroinics. Maestro was looking pretty worn out and tired the last couple years of the Haunt display. But I do like the idea of doing sort of a combination of the two. If there's one thing I miss about both Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion and Phantom Theater was the pre-show. Now it's just FunTV, but I miss the better days of the pop up ghosts, scooby, and Maestro playing the Organ were such a better use of the queue, and it made the line feel faster looking up at Maestro playing and chuckling.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, CoasterJack said:

If there's one thing I miss about both Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion and Phantom Theater was the pre-show. Now it's just FunTV, but I miss the better days of the pop up ghosts, scooby, and Maestro playing the Organ were such a better use of the queue, and it made the line feel faster looking up at Maestro playing and chuckling.

I don't know about the Phantom Theater pre show since the ride closed the year I was born, but I remember the Scooby preshow fondly. Hearing Shaggy explain how to use your blaster always got me hyped to ride the ride as a kid, no matter how many times I had to hear it while standing in line. It was a huge shame when they put the TVs in. It ruins the atmosphere now.

1 hour ago, CoasterJack said:

Maestro was looking pretty worn out and tired the last couple years of the Haunt display

When was the last time they brought the Phantom animatronics out? Have they been out recently?

17 hours ago, DiamondBeast said:

I don't know about the Phantom Theater pre show since the ride closed the year I was born, but I remember the Scooby preshow fondly. Hearing Shaggy explain how to use your blaster always got me hyped to ride the ride as a kid, no matter how many times I had to hear it while standing in line. It was a huge shame when they put the TVs in. It ruins the atmosphere now.

When was the last time they brought the Phantom animatronics out? Have they been out recently?

Here's the preshow

I think the props are scattered around the haunt attractions. Cavern of Terror has most of the figures, Board to Death used to have the giant mouse, and I think Slaughterhouse has the old boiler

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiamondBeast said:

I haven't seen the actual animatronics during Haunt for a couple years, but when the display used to be out they were already looking kind of rough. I can only hope they've been given some TLC and have found a nice home somewhere in park storage. It would be a shame to see them thrown out, especially after all the time that went into making them. Maestro on the Organ was always really impressive and set the mood of the ride as a child, and surprisingly I wasn't terrified by his laugh. 

• Like 1