The fate of Vortex

PKIguy14

Honestly, I don`t think that The Vortex is going anywhere, anytime soon. Rumor was that the park spent more than $100,000 to paint the ride for its 15th anniversary in 2002. However, they also painted King Cobra for 1999, and it was removed at the end of the 2001 season. However, I don`t think they spent nearly as much money to paint King Cobra as they did for The Vortex. Also, Vortex is still very popular, despite it being rough in a couple spots.

I don't really think it's really rough at all. The only part that I don't like is how to shoots you sideways like it's banking when you're at the top of the 2nd hill. I'm not sure if it's a design flaw or not.

I voted that The Vortex will be around for a while beacuse I don't see it going anywhere in the next few years. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be around 10 years from now. I just hope that if they replace it, they give us another classic-style steel in its place. For now, long live The Vortex!

You can get parts easilly for Vortex. Arrow's parts department still ran even while they were in chapter 11. Arrow does offer reprofiling. If there is a problem with the ride a new part of track can be made for it. Vortex never has a line cause it eats people. Dispatch is quick and really easy. OTSR's are moron proof get in pull down and your in there. People like the ride as well. It could navigate the batwing a bit better but its a very well done ride. They have somewhere in the ballpark of 82 coasters running(more than any one company I believe) some of them have been up since the 70's. Arrows are built to last IMO.

I think we'll see Vortex live to be about 25-30 years old, then PKI may call it quits on it. Why? How old is Racer? 31 years old-as old as the park. It's still here and still has more years of good rides to offer than some people may think-its reliable, beautiful and a true classic. Now Vortex doesn't have the same name to live up to, but it is one nice coaster, and one can see it from I-71 with ease.

It's not going anywhere soon...but in a decade or so, we'll see what happens.

You can get parts easilly for Vortex. Arrow's parts department still ran even while they were in chapter 11. Arrow does offer reprofiling.

I think this would be cool for the 20th anniversary. They need arrow to come in and redo the parts that are a little bit too bumpy, or where the track banks, and then flattens back out, and make it nice and smooth. Also, I would like to see the sign redone with the robotic hand gripping the track logo, like they first had when the ride was installed.

People can say that Vortex could becoming rougher than usual, but if PKI would get rid of a rough ride it would be SoB, and we know that is out of the question.

There is absolutly no reason to dismantle Vortex for any other ride. If you look at the land Vortex sits on, it is obvious that it is not close to being flat, and the only thing that could go in it's place would be another coaster, or a ride like a coaster (a log flume type of ride). Vortex is one of the signature rides at PKI, whereas KC was great in it's day but with the new technology of stand-up coasters, it did out-date itself. Vortex is going to be at PKI for many more years to come.

Arrow as a seperate company is pretty much gone with the bankruptcy and the buyout by S&S. But I am sure S&S is smart enough to see the profit in offering service to the Arrow coasters.

I think Vortex will stay around for a while. As others have already stated, it's a people eater and has had little maintanence problems. Plus the coaster is visually impressive. People like watching it. And it has that "what a coaster should look like" look to it. Have any little kid draw what he thinks a coaster should look like, and it will probably end up resembling Vortex.

I don't see it going anywhere for a while. Unless it sinks (I'm just kidding. DO NOT start another thread about the sinking rumor)

I don't see it going anywhere soon.Its a great coaster.A little rough but people still flock to it year in and year out.My only problem with it is the brake stop before the corkscrew.I think it goes way to slow through the corkscrews and you can actually feel your body(shoulders) hit the restraints as you navigate threw the inversions.I think it needs to be going a little faster through them so you dont have that feeling.Im sure it almost stops the cars there to inable three car operation.(Maybe someone can shed some light on that) Also I was there on the last two days of opperationNov.1st & 2nd and noticed that some of the over the shoulder restraints were very loose(able to move them a good 4-6 inches away from my body) I dont ever recall them being that loose before.Scared the crap out of my 11 year old daughter who was sitting next to me though! Is that normal?It wasnt in all the seats for I rode it three times them 2 days and only noticed it one time.

And also I almost forgot to add this,

as you will notice in my favorite steel coaster

Steel Phantom R.I.P. It was the only looping hyper coaster

and it was an arrow.I really miss the ride and The Vortex is

as close as I can get to re-living the Rough Arrow Experience.

Same cars as Vortex, same Feel ,Same roughness ,and it has the

same signature boomerang loop.

LONG LIVE ARROW LOOPERS

My only problem with it is the brake stop before the corkscrew.I think it goes way to slow through the corkscrews and you can actually feel your body(shoulders) hit the restraints as you navigate threw the inversions.I think it needs to be going a little faster through them so you dont have that feeling.Im sure it almost stops the cars there to inable three car operation.(Maybe someone can shed some light on that) Also I was there on the last two days of opperationNov.1st & 2nd and noticed that some of the over the shoulder restraints were very loose(able to move them a good 4-6 inches away from my body) I dont ever recall them being that loose before.Scared the crap out of my 11 year old daughter who was sitting next to me though! Is that normal?It wasnt in all the seats for I rode it three times them 2 days and only noticed it one time.

I'm with Jimmy on the shoulder hitting the restraints thing. It scared the bejesus out of me when I first rode it. I think it will stay, but I'd like to see some new cars like SOB and FoF.

I think it will stay, but I'd like to see some new cars like SOB and FoF

I wasn't aware the new trains were a definite go on SOB. Anyone got any more info on this.

I also think Vortex will be here for a long time. But, I have a few problems with it. Maybe Vortexkid2005 can shed some light on this one for me, or anyone else, why does the second car in the train seem to be the roughest ride. Also can anything be done about the bump in the second hill. Thanks.! wink.gif

Edited by coasterfreak75

I think it will stay, but I'd like to see some new cars like SOB and FoF

I wasn't aware the new trains were a definite go on SOB. Anyone got any more info on this.

I also think Vortex will be here for a long time. But, I have a few problems with it. Maybe Vortexkid2005 can shed some light on this one for me, or anyone else, why does the second car in the train seem to be the roughest ride. Also can anything be done about the bump in the second hill. Thanks.! wink.gif

I didn't mean SOB is getting new trains, I was just referring to the style of trains that FoF got a few years ago and SOB had from the beginning with the lap and foot restraint with the seatbelt. Actually if The Vortex would just add a seat belt i'd be happy.

To me, removing Vortex would be like them removing Trader Jake's. Wait... sad.gif

In all seriousness, I don't think that there would be any reason for Vortex to be removed in the near future. I still see lines for it, and it is quite a nice ride to admire from the midway. Would be nice if they smoothed some spots which are in my opinion quite the neck cracker.

I think it would be really sad if the removed Vortex, it was the first big kid coaster I ever rode, and it always is a joy to ride. Plus, I just don't want to see the list of removed rides added to when great rides like KCKC and KC were both just recently added. I most certainly miss those rides. But, I honestly don't think that the park would be interested in removing a gem in the vast minefield of arrow multi-loopers. smile.gif

Also I was there on the last two days of opperationNov.1st & 2nd and noticed that some of the over the shoulder restraints were very loose(able to move them a good 4-6 inches away from my body) I dont ever recall them being that loose before.Scared the crap out of my 11 year old daughter who was sitting next to me though! Is that normal?It wasnt in all the seats for I rode it three times them 2 days and only noticed it one time.

Actually if The Vortex would just add a seat belt i'd be happy.

I will adress both here as they are similar

the Arrow POP as some refer to it. Yeah some of the restiants feel loose if your inbetween clicks. Don't worry you are safe.

Seatbelts are not needed on Vortex. Arrow loopers have a pretty good safety record and the OTSR make its so everybody of shape and size can ride pretty well. Its been in use for almost 30 years now and has not failed yet. A seatbelt would be useless and if the OTSR failed a seatbelt wouldn't save you, centrifical force would.

[rant]

Already in the park there are 2 rides that have loops that do not have OTSR's BUT! if you need more proof goto Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and ride there Shuttle Loop Greesed Lightnin. That ride uses an even simpler lapbar design and it holds you in just fine (even though you may feel weird going back though the loop.

[/rant]

A seatbelt would not help and would make dispatch SLOW!!!!!! We all like Vortex as the people eater that it is!

Final thoughts for the loose issue. Your good you may have been inbetween clicks and your not going anywhere if its down atleast 2 clicks your safe.

The Vortex is a PKI, and formaly a KI, icon. This coaster is almost as important as The Beast. These type of rides are what people see when they enter the park. This ride draws a lot of attention due to its size, location, and it twisted track. Nothing compares to a visit to a unfimiliar park and seeing a huge coaster. This coaster is also one of the few entirely(sp?) visible, true coasters in the park. It would be a sad day in my life to see it go.

Hopefully, a little paint and some new wheels can solve any problems the coaster might experince in the next few years.

Edited by Bradb055

• 2 weeks later...

Redo the track? Put in a new track? Replace the whole thing? Not if it was my decision. It would cost money to redo the track in any way, shape or form. Arrow coasters seem to last a long time, even though they may not be terribly comfortable. They also seem to me to be fairly reliable, although I have no proof or statistic for my statement.

Vortex isn't going anywhere for at least another 15 years. I agree with Bradb...Vortex is an icon. I can remember coming home from Reds games and seeing the chaser lights that go up the lift hill. Chances are that if a ride changed the horizon content of the park, it's there to stay for a while.