Six Flags may want to buy SeaWorld

Fast forward: Facing competition, the newly acquired park in Virginia is merged with Six Flags America and renamed Six Flags Worlds of Gardens over Virginia. Not to be outdone, Cedar Fair buys the new creation, moves all of Kings Dominion attractions to this new property except for Soak City. This venture fails because the park is too big to fail. Rides and attractions are relocated across the chain. Carowinds gets the Eifel Tower. Kings Island gets Batwing.

• Haha 1

I think there's a good possibility that Cedar Fair is eyeing Seaworld right now and not Six Flags, the only issue with this would be how expensive this is going to be for them. I think it's more realistic than a Six Flags takeover due to their debt sheet right now, however, I can see someone else buying them and Six Flags managing the parks (Six Flags doesn't actually own most of their new parks) 

I think that Cedar Fair would be a much better fit for the Sea World parks, compared to Six Flags.  Also, keep in mind that the last time Cedar Fair added any parks was when they purchased Paramount Parks back in 2006.  However, as others have stated, is the price right?  Cedar Fair is still paying off the debt from purchasing the Paramount Parks.  

Sea World would give Cedar Fair several more parks that are open year round, and other than Busch Gardens Williamsburg, none of the parks directly overlap markets with current Cedar Fair parks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Cedar Fair is still paying off the debt from purchasing the Paramount Parks.  

Sea World would give Cedar Fair several more parks that are open year round, and other than Busch Gardens Williamsburg, none of the parks directly overlap markets with current Cedar Fair parks.

If there's a potential ROI for Cedar Fair, especially since the majority of Sea World parks are open year round. Its funny- this is a Six Flags thread but we're discussing Cedar Fair.

The blue on the map are current Cedar Fair parks and the red are Sea World parks.Cedar Fair and Sea World.png

IF Cedar Fair were to buy out Sea World Parks, they would have properties in Florida which is a huge market, as well a park in Texas, and additional parks in California, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Even if CF was only interested in some of the SW parks, it would give CF a huge competitive edge over Six Flags. 

My only fear of a Cedar Fair owned Sea World would be changes in priorities with more attention being focused on the year round parks as opposed to the seasonal ones- similar to how Dorney, WOF, and Valley Fair! received the short end of the stick since the Paramount buy. Another potential issue would the controversy that comes with the parks such as the sea life which has always been a PR issue for Sea World. 

All in all, I think it would be a good business move for Cedar Fair to at least look into the potential benefits to obtaining the parks. I feel like if Six Flags got their hands on it, the chain would be ruined. 

I'm curious how the pass situation would work out.

Gold memberships including unlimited admission and parking to all Six Flags parks can be had for $80/year or less. The same level of access to SeaWorld parks costs at least $180 - and can be much higher depending on your home park.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 4:55 PM, malem said:

One issue with Cedar Fair purchasing the Busch Gardens and/or SeaWorld parks would be that they've never run animal parks, whereas Six Flags runs two.

When Cedar Fair bought Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, the animals were not part of the purchase.

I thought about that too, but it might be beneficial if Cedar Fair looked into animals. For Cedar Fair or Six Flags, the biggest controversy being inherited would be the Killer Whales and Dolphins but other than that, I don't think its bad to have animals since they're another attraction to draw people who might not like to ride rides. I went to Busch Gardens Tampa in 2012 and could have spent all day just looking at the animals instead of riding coasters or other thrill rides. 

Baby steps SOB.   Maybe CF could take it to the next level by adopting this donkey and emu that fell in love.  Sure to be crowd favorite.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article221276505.html

Stocking the Dback splashdown with crocodiles would also be interesting.  

On 11/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, malem said:

I'm curious how the pass situation would work out.

Gold memberships including unlimited admission and parking to all Six Flags parks can be had for $80/year or less. The same level of access to SeaWorld parks costs at least $180 - and can be much higher depending on your home park.

Surely that gap can be rectified with Jerky and hair gel ads.

^Not to mention potentially having to go toe-to-toe with the Mouse and Universal Studios. 

Would Sea World Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa seem untouchable for chain parks because of that fact?  Or does anyone think someone else can maintain the niche they have (for example, when SIX bought Geauga Lake, tried to take on CP, and failed miserably, I know its different, but there's some comparisons to garner a bit of discussion I think)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malem said:

I have a hard time envisioning Hershend (which doesn't sell alcohol in its parks) purchasing a park named after a brewery.

If SEAS decided to spin off the Busch parks to another operator, I'd personally like to see them go to Merlin.

Have you been to a Merlin owned park?

9 hours ago, malem said:

I have a hard time envisioning Hershend (which doesn't sell alcohol in its parks) purchasing a park named after a brewery.

If SEAS decided to spin off the Busch parks to another operator, I'd personally like to see them go to Merlin.

I wasn't considering the alcohol aspect of it, I was thinking about the maintaining of the integrity of the parks.  

This all depends on if you want to trust the rumors.  Last year Merlin supposedly tried to purchase just the Busch parks because they did not want anything to do with Seaworld.  At the time the rumors were that SEAS made it very clear it was all or nothing and they were unwilling to split off just the Busch parks.

The samething is likely true now, a deal is all or nothing.  SEAS is stable and does not need to be purchased or to sell any parks.  But they are open to being acquired.

Can Six Flags pull off a purchase of SEAS?  I doubt it, financing a deal like that just seems unlikely. 

^ I sure hope not. I'd much rather see continued success of efforts to repair the iconic SeaWorld brand.

Getting rid of it would seem like giving into the narrative of the Blackfish filmmakers, which would be a sad day for those in the industry trying to tell their own stories.

• Like 2