IAAPA 2018

Hello all!

I will be heading down to the IAAPA expo next week and wanted to create a place where we can discuss any major news/developments. If anyone else here is going, I'd love to meet up as well!

If anyone has any questions they want me to try to ask a manufacturer, let me know and I will try to get an answer.

6 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Is that Valravn car from the actual ride or just something made for IAPPA? And if it's from the ride, which train did they take it from? Thanks; I love Valravn! B)

That photo is probably from the 2015 show, there is a different dive coaster car here this year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

Umm, that is VALKYRIA, a Dive Coaster in Sweden that opened in 2018, not Valravn. :P Also a giveaway: Valravn's cars seat 8 across, this is only 6 across.

Here is Valkyria's RCDB Page: https://rcdb.com/14301.htm

Oh wow! Boy do they look alike!

I can attest that Outdoor Man is here. He’s standing right next to me. Not sure why he used an old photo.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 3:11 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Oh wow! Boy do they look alike!

I can attest that Outdoor Man is here. He’s standing right next to me. Not sure why he used an old photo.

The Valravyn (or however it's spelled) image was taken a few years ago.  I posted that picture a few days before the Trade Show floor opened for "dramatic" effect.  

Don't diss me, BoddahH1994 (if that's your real name), if you want the free "Lyft"... it's a long way to the airport- I'll send you with the shipping company (VERY inside joke).

17 hours ago, silver2005 said:

That newer GCI MF car looks sweet.  Looks a bit more comfy and I love the low slung front for an open air feel.  

You should see the model on display of the new coaster design from GCI. Sweeeet!

Photo Credit to In The Loop FB page https://www.facebook.com/inthelooppodcast/photos/pcb.2281063755502885/2281063675502893/?type=3&theater

INtheLoop_GCI.jpg

• Like 10

I'm loving all the new stuff I've seen sitting at home from people on the floor! Next year is my IAAPA year for sure, Also with the dive coaster train, I love how Liseberg put their mascot on it, It's a cheesy but fun touch, my favorite news story from the show has to be the new Intamin coasters they announced yesterday for Parc Asterix and Walibi Belgium.

On 11/15/2018 at 8:06 AM, Outdoor Man said:

The Valravyn (or however it's spelled) image was taken a few years ago.  I posted that picture a few days before the Trade Show floor opened for "dramatic" effect.  

Don't diss me, BoddahH1994 (if that's your real name), if you want the free "Lyft"... it's a long way to the airport- I'll send you with the shipping company (VERY inside joke).

Update:

BoddaH1994, Thank you for badgering the car with thoughts of "epic" McDonalds and almost causing the car to be late for the flight.  I know, I know- you didn't suggest the 11th hour visit- but "little LJS" wouldn't have known the place existed without your "help." 

Good week!  What you say we replay this in January with the wizard, mouse, cavalier, dream weaver, basket of citrus... and for good measure lets seek out an orca.  My encryption isn't as effective as a good 'terp rant. 

16 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

Update:

BoddaH1994, Thank you for badgering the car with thoughts of "epic" McDonalds and almost causing the car to be late for the flight.  I know, I know- you didn't suggest the 11th hour visit- but "little LJS" wouldn't have known the place existed without your "help." 

Good week!  What you say we replay this in January with the wizard, mouse, cavalier, dream weaver, basket of citrus... and for good measure lets seek out an orca.  My encryption isn't as effective as a good 'terp rant. 

Well, you know what they say: a true McKid does not seek out the epic McDonald’s. The epic McDonald’s is thrust upon them.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:38 AM, MDMC01 said:

That GCI coaster looks awesome! Any idea where it's going?

Personally, it looks like that rumored Gwazi re-do that is rumored to happen soon... :ph34r:

The GCI ride is a concept model.  It's not necessarily going anywhere in that exact form.

The new GCI trains are the Infinity Flyers (working title).  They are designed for tighter turns and inversions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoasterMatt Productions said:

Did GCI state that any older product's they have built/installed can run the new Infinity Flyers if a park was interested in them?

I didn’t ask. I imagine the track gage is similar. I don’t think you’ll be seeing many park spending the money for new trains unless they need them.

• Thanks 1

I would imagine that as long as the track gauge matches, and a park wanted to purchase the new trains, then they would gladly sell them to existing GCI designed coasters.  Looks like Ryan and I were thinking similar things.  Trains are a highly expensive piece of hardware.  And as Ryan said, unless the existing rolling stock is falling apart, most parks would rather fix their existing trains then shell out the money for new trains.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2018 at 11:44 PM, BlondyRidesOn said:

Will GCI still supply the Millennium Flyer trains or are they moving to the Infinity Flyer much like RMC discontinuing their original train design?

I didn’t ask, but I imagine once the Infinity Flyer trains make their debut that’s what they’ll be using moving forward. They’re very similar to the Millennium Flyer trains, just with some newer developments.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I hypothesize that the new trains might be an effort by GCI to start making more elaborate and wilder rides that the Millennium Flyers may not be able to accomplish to try and even the field with RMC.  

Seems to me that this is more in line with what Gravity Group is already doing with the Timberliner trains. Tighter turns and the ability to invert are a key part of their current advantage. RMC will always be able to do more with a steel track than is possible with a wood track. While we don’t see as many GG coasters as we do GCI in the US, the ones we do see seem to be pushing the envelope of what we would think a traditional wooden track can do. With GCI’s greater market cap, maybe we will see more rides similar to Mine Blower start to pop up with these new trains.

I’m interested to see if the Infinity flyer trains are more comfortable than the Timberliners are. Those lap bars are hard to beat.