2nd Theme Park

keithandmissy

Thought this is an excellent question. May theme park/resorts are trying to make people stay longer (i.e., Cedar Point, Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, Universal Studios Orlando, Disneyland Resort, etc). Will Paramount use this same technique to their advantage to create a full-size resort where people would want to spend multiple days, just like they do when they go to Universal or Disney?

This is not the right kind of market for something like that. Remember half the year around here is winter, and winter in Cincy stinks. It would be one thing if they added an indoor waterpark so there is something to do in the winter, but I doubt they will add something like a resort.

Perhaps this is why Jeff alluded to "year round service". Just because you can't ride coasters and other rides in winter (who would really want to). There are other ideas! The ride survey from months ago mentioned sports such as snow skiing and bobsleding pertaining to rides. There have been mentions in other surveys of shops and "indoor events". Could it be that the land behind Top Gun, Son of Beast and Flight of Fear is being earmarked to be used as a new version of the Mall of America??? There is quite a bit of land back there. This would open the market for year round entertainment and a resort atmosphere. Also, just because the area surrounding PKI is being "locked in" by housing, parking and schools, doesn't mean that the old parking lot couldn't be converted to a parking garage, freeing up even more space for construction. As we have found out in the past, anything can happen.

I don't think it would be crazy for them to put in something like Universal's CityWalk or Downtown Disney to complement International Street during the winter time. Also, why wouldn't a second theme park be viable? If a theme park can be viable and only be seasonal why couldn't two of them?

Then, in the winter you could have International Street, the "CityWalk" area, hotels, an indoor waterpark, IMAX theater and the such open all year.

In the summer months, the two theme parks would add to the experience yet again.

I think it would be a stretch to see the parking lot converted to a garage but I don't think it would be crazy to see at least some of the following:

1) year round shopping and entertainment complex (themed of course)

2) one or two hotels

3) indoor waterpark/theme park

4) a return of Winterfest for the International Street area

While I'm sure these things wouldn't make them as much money as PKI does in the summer months, they would be added revenue - something that is welcomed by any company. The economy for it is there, it just has to be diverted from Cedar Point and Florida and other destinations.

It would be tough to do a 2nd park and/or entertainment/shopping area. Why parks like Universal and Disney can do additional parks is because of their locations. I think people want to be outdoors and Orlando and LA can offer that enviroment. There have bee so many failed attempts at indoor amusement parks across the country. They could try to do something like City Walk but when you have several outdoor shopping areas already in the Cincinnati area (Covington and that place off I-71 with PH Chang's and Max and Erma's) why bother?

Yes, they could do something indoors that could be year round but you have to understand, in order to make money, you would have to draw from outside Ohio. And while it will be all toasty once you get there, you still have to get there. Do you think some family from Iowa wants to fly in to Cincinnati airport and have to battle a snow storm as they drive up to PKI? Or would they rather fly into Orlando and have a nice easy drive to their hotel and spend time outside. I just don't see a year round or indoor operation working for PKI.

Edited by IcarusLives

A second theme park? I doubt it. If they COULD, PKI may try to build something elaborate like Great Bear Lodge or whatever it's called. THAT place is sweet. The problem is that other than PKI, there's really not much else to my knowledge to do in Mason. PKI is gonna stay as is for a while, unless attendance, revenue and profit really take off.

I think the only reason it may never happen (most of it anyway) is people's perceptions. You think that it's all toasty in the winter in Orlando and LA.

Let's take Anaheim and Disneyland as an example. Most of their patrons are local residents that use Disneyland just like we use PKI. The economic and marketing basis for both parks is virtually identical.

Secondly, you think people wouldn't like it outdoors in the winter because it's cold. In Anaheim, when you go to Disneyland for Christmas, they are bundled up in ski suits because to them it's so cold. We bundle up the same here. The only reason people wouldn't come to something like that at PKI is because of preconceived perceptions and ideas, as perpetrated in this thread.

I'm not saying PKI should be open year round - you can't run Son of Beast and other rides in 10 and 20 degree weather. At least the shopping/entertainment part of it could operate. I mean, as stated by another user, Covington in Cincinnati is outside and so is Easton Town Center in Columbus.

However, in the summer I do believe, with the crowds involved, that PKI can support a 2nd gate.

Anyone who thinks PKI "can't afford it" is absurd. Have you seen the price of a Coke there? Most companies pay 40 or 50 cents for those bottles of Coke (wholesale) and they charge about $3 to patrons... that alone, with the amount of it they sell, in one day... that would build a new shopping center right there!

I don't think it would be crazy for them to put in something like Universal's CityWalk or Downtown Disney to complement International Street during the winter time. Also, why wouldn't a second theme park be viable? If a theme park can be viable and only be seasonal why couldn't two of them?

Then, in the winter you could have International Street, the "CityWalk" area, hotels, an indoor waterpark, IMAX theater and the such open all year.

In the summer months, the two theme parks would add to the experience yet again.

I think it would be a stretch to see the parking lot converted to a garage but I don't think it would be crazy to see at least some of the following:

1) year round shopping and entertainment complex (themed of course)

2) one or two hotels

3) indoor waterpark/theme park

4) a return of Winterfest for the International Street area

While I'm sure these things wouldn't make them as much money as PKI does in the summer months, they would be added revenue - something that is welcomed by any company. The economy for it is there, it just has to be diverted from Cedar Point and Florida and other destinations.

You need to look at the big picture to understand why this isn't as feasilbe as you make it sound. 1.) how many nearby places are growing by leaps and bounds? You have Mason, Deerfield, and Loveland all relatively close. Also, just down 71 you have Kenwood. All the places are puitting in all kinds of stuff like shopping malls, cinemas, etc. Then if you take 275 to 75 you hit West Chester, and then Liberty Township, both are which working on building shopping malls and more cinemas. See the big picture? There is no way PKI could afford to build all that stuff and then compete with these other neighborhoods, that have way more money than PKI do, and can attract these different items into their communities.

But an indoor waterpark would be awesome but Cedar Point is already started for the indoor.

This doesn't mean anything to me. So what if Cedar Point, is started for an indoor waterpark. They are not the first place to do one. Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin has several imdoor waterparks. (All which have been in existence well before Cedar Point ever thought of this) Such as this one http://www.wisdellstreasureisland.com/ Cincy could make something like this work, with the thought that there are 6 months of winter around here. Just need the right group of investors, the right piece of property and an idea. If they wanted to, I am sure they could build it with a retractable roof, that could open during the summer, and let sunlight in. Anything is possible.

Most companies pay 40 or 50 cents for those bottles of Coke (wholesale) and they charge about $3 to patrons... that alone, with the amount of it they sell, in one day... that would build a new shopping center right there!

Its not that easy. A lot of that so called profit disappears before it goes into the bank. Paychecks, electric, gas, water.

They don't have to add a 2nd theme park. Like lot's of people have said,it would be nice to have a Cuty Walk type area. As long as it don't take you 30 minutes to walk from the parking lot thourgh it and finally get inbto the park like it does for Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. biggrin.gif

Like lot's of people have said,it would be nice to have a Cuty Walk type area.

PKI doesn't have the financial or government support and infrastructure to make something like this feasible. PKI should stick to what they are good at, which is running PKI. If they did something like this, and it didn't go well, we would probably not see another new ride for more than 5 years, by the time they regain from their finanical losses. Also, even if they did put it in, and it worked ok, we would probably not get any new rides for a couple of years. I would rather see the new rides at PKI and have them leave the shopping stuff to the surrounding areas. The last thing PKI needs is more stores in it. Look at IS, if thats not enough shoppping for you, then i don't know what is.

PKI is an amusement park/theme park, and will probably never be any exclusive shopping center. It's there for people, like us, to go to and ride rides, like Delirium, Drop Zone, Son of Beast and The Beast. Profit is going to new rides and experiences. That is what will win over the people

Walt Disney opened up additional theme parks in Florida, California, Japan, and even France. Universal Studios and Sea World opened up an additional theme park each in Florida. However, these three entities are open all year around, make much more money than PKI, and have deeper pockets. It would not make sense for PKI to open up a second theme park because it is closed for more than half the year and park attendence wouldn't justify a second park. Additionally, Mason, Ohio doesn't draw the large number of tourists that Florida and California do.

However, it would make sense for PKI to expand its facilities to be open all year around. I've said MANY times on this site that PKI ought to purchase the Kings Island Resort & Conference Center........and then refurbish and theme it to better suit PKI. This way PKI could earn money all year around and even profit from Saturday character breakfasts at the hotel. It wouldn't make sense for PKI to build an indoor water park like the Great Bear Lodge near Cedar Point....but perhaps PKI could build an indoor virtual theme park at the hotel. It would be like Jillians or Gameworks.

Those are my ideas. However, I stand firmly in my belief that Paramount will not built an adjacent park to PKI.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

biggrin.gif

SFWOA is one of the worst preforming six flags parks because operations exceed attenance. Those whale shows are great though

It was ok at one point. What really killed this park is when Six Flags bought the underperforming SeaWorld Ohio off of Anheuser-Busch. They paid 110 million for that, and the fact of the matter is, people don't flock to Ohio to see whales swim and crap. If I wanna see whales, Id rather be in Florida.

SFWOA is one of the worst preforming six flags parks because operations exceed attenance. Those whale shows are great though

user posted image

PKI also got rid of the resort and conference center because it was not preforming well.

True perhaps, but the Kings Island Resort is doing well now in spite of increasd competition over the years. If PKI owned and operated it....I'm sure it would be even better. And if I owned and operated the Kings Island Resort, it would be a gold mine. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

biggrin.gif