What a day at WinterFest (assaulted, ridiculed, and more, LOL)

way29

It was an interesting day to say the least at Kings Island today. I am a regular season pass holder & a Marine Veteran who just wanted to spend a fun evening with my wife and 2 young daughters. After parking a young man about 20 years my junior (I am 50) came running up to me, cussing and wanting to start a fist fight with me over cutting him off in the entrance line, which I am sorry if I did, but he was very angry, very aggressive, and even threw off his jacket ready to fight me in the parking lot. My youngest daughter started crying so I decided to get this jerk out of our way and accepted his challenge, to which he backed down and said I was lucky I had my kids with me. As my adrenaline wore down, and upon going through security, the "guard" told me that I had to remove my belt and give it to him and go back through the scanner. I told him that was not going to happen and he could use his wand. He told me that he is not really allowed to use the wand (the one that he had in his hand) and then scanned me anyhow and let me pass. We then went to get our ice skating passes and of course they didn't have my shoe size but oh well, I chose the next size bigger. In the end, my daughters, wife and I had a good time at Kings Island but not because of the staff or other visitors, but because I chose that we were going to have a good time, and we did. 

• Like 1

Re: Security, Sat. I beeped and therefore I got wanded, but Sunday I didn't; not sure what the difference was lol. Not complaing (thanks to those guys and gals for keeping us safe), but something interesting I thought I'd share.

EDIT: I just remembered I had a zipper pocket on my sweatpants that I wore Sat and maybe that set it off.

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

You could always wear suspenders! :P 

Like a gentleman!

I have an insulin pump, it almost always beeps. I also almost always have a multitool on and have forgotten to take it off a number of times. I've gotten into the park with it before I remember as well. Normally I check it, but some of their security protocols could be tightened. Not that I'd like yet another line to wait in, I appreciate the forethought on safety.

• Like 1

They seriously need to adjust down the sensitivity. If it’s sounding for every belt buckle that comes through, they are wasting time and money on wanding everyone, and slowing down the entry process.

To give you an idea the Reds use the exact same type of metal detectors as KI, and they have never sounded because of my belt.

Some newer belts and belt buckles can now hide dangerous items.  The purpose of the scanner is to help identify dangerous objects like knives so that they are not taken into the park for your safety.  An example of a belt buckle with a knife blade.  Why someone would wear something like this to an amusement park is a complete mystery to me.

https://www.slidebelts.com/products/survival-belt?variant=5432466374671&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Mjk-Nb03gIVgrfACh19qQHUEAQYBCABEgIwK_D_BwE

A little note on how the metal detectors work, the magnetic field used to detect objects is horizontal.  So you want metal you are wearing to be away from each other vertically.

I wear a belt and an Apple watch, if I leave my arm at my side as I walk through the detectors I set it off everytime.  But if I hold my wrist up so that my watch is around shoulder level, I rarely set the detector off.

I was told at security to hold my arm up when going through the metal detector as my zipper and Fitbit in combination were too much for it.

It was interesting when my transmitter for my Dexcom (my CGM) set off the detector last year at CP.  I had to take off my belt, everything else I had was in the bucket.  I had to raise my shirt up and they had to look at the transmitter.  Little too much of my belly exposed LOL.

I was told at security to hold my arm up when going through the metal detector as my zipper and Fitbit in combination were too much for it.
It was interesting when my transmitter for my Dexcom (my CGM) set off the detector last year at CP.  I had to take off my belt, everything else I had was in the bucket.  I had to raise my shirt up and they had to look at the transmitter.  Little too much of my belly exposed LOL.

I’d have told them to pound it.

There’s a right way and a wrong way to do everything. Asking someone to remove their shirt at a metal detector is the wrong way. There are non-public spaces for a reason...

5 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Some newer belts and belt buckles can now hide dangerous items.  The purpose of the scanner is to help identify dangerous objects like knives so that they are not taken into the park for your safety.  An example of a belt buckle with a knife blade.  Why someone would wear something like this to an amusement park is a complete mystery to me.

https://www.slidebelts.com/products/survival-belt?variant=5432466374671&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Mjk-Nb03gIVgrfACh19qQHUEAQYBCABEgIwK_D_BwE

While I personally wouldn’t spend $150 on any belt I do understand that if one owned that belt they would probably wear it everywhere, it is just their belt.  That little blade is not something I would want to take to a knife fight.  :P   It is made for cutting some paracord and striking the flint for sparks (and is pretty dull after doing that a few times) 

I actually carry a small multi tool with a small blade on my key ring that looks like a key and have unintentionally carried it through TSA several times.  I don’t actually take it into parks as I just detach my FOB.

https://www.amazon.com/Utility-Multifunctional-Portable-Stainless-Screwdrivers/dp/B074QPNM7D

Security is looking for guns and big knives not tools, but I am sure if they find them they have to turn you away for consistency issues.  

I am surprised the entrance gate does not get more hate.  I am a nervous wreck every time I pull in.  People are flying in not knowing which line to get in.  Not looking trying to get their pass or cell phone ready.  Getting out of line to find a shorter one (cutting me off).  Then after the gate the way the cars are funneled is ridiculous, it's hard to see cars to left or right, and everyone thinks they have the right of way.  I stopped going early during the summer because of it.

1 hour ago, Scottzzz said:

I am surprised the entrance gate does not get more hate.  I am a nervous wreck every time I pull in.  People are flying in not knowing which line to get in.  Not looking trying to get their pass or cell phone ready.  Getting out of line to find a shorter one (cutting me off).  Then after the gate the way the cars are funneled is ridiculous, it's hard to see cars to left or right, and everyone thinks they have the right of way.  I stopped going early during the summer because of it.

I agree, this does cause (at least me) some frustration.  I think the biggest resolution would be consistency.  Pick some lanes as always being passholder lanes and stay with it.  The way it is now, you go from 2 lanes rounding the curve to 10+ (someone will correct this I know) with no idea what is open and what is not.  I know there have to be bus lanes and not everyone is a passholder,  but as a park with the largest base of passholders, I do not think this is unreasonable.

I am honestly surprised that I have not seen any fender benders here

And once you are through the gates it is not always clear to me (given the paint striping) if I am on the right side of the cones and and where I am supposed to go.  I kind of have it figured out by now but it was really rough my first season.  

Here we are complaining about stuff and driving all these KIC members away that just want daisies and roses.  :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

I’d have told them to pound it.

There’s a right way and a wrong way to do everything. Asking someone to remove their shirt at a metal detector is the wrong way. There are non-public spaces for a reason...

I didn't have to remove my shirt, I just had to lift it up.  It wasn't a huge deal but it is just part of the world we live in for better or worse.  I'm dreading the conversation with ride ops at CP about having my phone in line at SV. The app on the phone is what displays the blood sugar levels and trends.  I've spoken to Guest Services and was told to stop by and they would get a solution.  I don't want to use a green sheet as I don't think that is needed, but I also don't want to cause a ruckus if I alarm while in the queue and riders see me take a phone out of my pocket.

• Like 1

I’ve never had an issue going through any line at the parking gates with a gold pass. I think the confusion is in the way the signs read. I got in a line the other day that said credit card only. It was the first time I had seen that, and people were darting in and out of the lane to get to a gold pass lane or cash lane. When I got there, there was a gold pass scanner that worked. Maybe they just need an attendant monitoring two lanes or to revisit the process. Undefined lane lines are a part of the problem. Or maybe at least have someone at every lane until the crowds get smaller as the night goes on.

Honestly, my only problems with the parking gates have come from other drivers. People drive like headless chickens, aimless, but with delusions of importance. There are things the park could do to make it better, but there will always be intermittent spouts of confusion at those gates because the world will never be in short supply of passive aggressive drivers ready to nearly sideswipe your car and blame it on you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Season pass holders can use any of the lanes at the tollbooths.  All of the lanes have the self scan kiosks and even when a lane has an attendant the kiosk still works.  The electric signs are primarily there to direct guests who need an attendant to the correct lanes.

If you have a pass just hop in any short line and scan your pass.  Although I do head to the left side every time.