Biggest Cosmetic Change

SonofBaconator

Kings Island is nearly 50 years old and is seen a lot of changes over its years. What do you think has been the biggest change to the park cosmetically?

I would say that there are three big ones to me:

The removal of the original antique cars back in 2004 the return changing a huge part of the Coney Mall Midway in 2019

The numerous changes that have happened to the Action Zone over the years, the first one being getting rid of the animals, removing king cobra,  adding more flat rides, the building and later removing Son of Beast, the many different name changes and paint schemes that resulted in the Cedar Fair buy back in 2006, and finally the addition of Banshee replacing Son of Beast in 2014.

Finally, and I would argue the biggeet cosmetic change, would be the addition of Diamondback. DB changed almost the whole area of Rivertown with the removal of Swan Lake, the removal of the Mining Company, the removal of the trees in the valley by the train trestle, and the altering of The Beast path.

What do you think was the biggest cosmetic change the park has ever had?

• Like 2

Off the top of my head:

The Worst: Not exactly losing the antique cars...I could live with that, but having them replaced with such an eyesore of a ride in possibly the highest profile area of the park. (Excluding the Royal Fountain of course.)

The Best: all of the pavers that Cedar Fair has put throughout the park. ( I am grateful that they go to such expense, especially when they could easily just throw down concrete or asphalt.) The pavers improve the whole atmosphere of the park.

(I think I speak for most people on this site when I say "We don't care about getting any new coasters or rides, just bring on more pavers!)

EDIT: Sure Brad, I'm hunting and pecking a well thought out response and you sneak in your post ahead of me...I guess great minds think alike. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

Off the top of my head:

The Worst: Not exactly losing the antique cars...I could live with that, but having them replaced with such an eyesore of a ride in possibly the highest profile area of the park.

I didn't know Invertigo replaced the antique cars. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

This definitely is not the biggest change but the removal of Ghoster Coaster/addition of water maze, Plankton's plunge, and Avatar the Last Airbender was fairly big. Plus just the entire change from Hanna Barbera to Nick Universe was pretty big cosmetically. And then the change to Planet Snoopy

1.  How the Junkyard coaster ruined a beautiful area of the park.  It's slowly recovering but unfortunately what was there is now gone.

2.  The entry plaza.  The ticket sales window and pass processing center replaced a berm that had shrubbery spelling out Kings Island and the other berm (to the right) would have a floral display of the new attraction for that season.  The most recent victims were the crabapple trees in the trolley circle, but that's OK with me since we got WinterFest.  ;)

• Like 1

Were the additions of The Bat and The Beast responsible for expanding the back area of the park with the walkway behind the antique cars? When did that happen?

Also, Oktoberfest has gone through some serious changes since the park has opened. What appears to have been a very beautiful, open area of the park has been stripped down to tiny, little area. 

2 hours ago, faeriewench said:

I think only those who were actually alive at the time can really comment on that one.  XD

You only have to be in your mid to late 30s to remember it. :P 

Nevertheless, it was introduced in 1989, a good 17 years after the park originally opened, and while next year marks Soak City's 30th year at the park, it still brought a significant change to a large area of the park well into its lifetime. 

I wasn't alive to see the earliest years of the park, but judging from photos, it went through a number of major cosmetic changes in those days. Just look at all the green. I love the park today, but man, when it opened, it was beautiful. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Joshua said:

You only have to be in your mid to late 30s to remember it. :P 

Nevertheless, it was introduced in 1989, a good 17 years after the park originally opened, and while next year marks Soak City's 30th year at the park, it still brought a significant change to a large area of the park well into its lifetime. 

I wasn't alive to see the earliest years of the park, but judging from photos, it went through a number of major cosmetic changes in those days. Just look at all the green. I love the park today, but man, when it opened, it was beautiful. 

Yes, WaterWorks took away the seclusion of the train and the back of Hanna Barbera Land. :( 

• 2 weeks later...

At least one person here does truly enjoy the so-called "Junkyard coaster" and would not like it to be removed anytime soon simply out of spite, vengeance, or a warped form of "restorative justice".

Is it off-putting for the area its in? Absolutely.

Should Paramount have built it in Action Zone instead? Absolutely.

Should Les Taxis and Screamin' Eagles NOT have been removed. Absolutely.

But the damage has been done for some quite some time now, so I think we should judge the ride on its own merits, and appreciate it for what it is.

Besides, we've received both of those wrongly deceased rides back in some form, albeit not as great or grand as the original, but hey its something!

• Like 5

@BeastForever, yes I am salty about the Junkyard Coaster.  But I do enjoy a spin on it every now and then.  ;)  If I had my druthers, I'd like for it to be rethemed to something more appropriate to the area/history and have some major landscape restoration.  The area will never be what it was, but I can hope for a better future sometime down the road. Or not.  I'm just an armchair enthusiast.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 11:36 PM, BeastForever said:

At least one person here does truly enjoy the so-called "Junkyard coaster" and would not like it to be removed anytime soon simply out of spite, vengeance, or a warped form of "restorative justice".

Is it off-putting for the area its in? Absolutely.

Should Paramount have built it in Action Zone instead? Absolutely.

Should Les Taxis and Screamin' Eagles NOT have been removed. Absolutely.

But the damage has been done for some quite some time now, so I think we should judge the ride on its own merits, and appreciate it for what it is.

Besides, we've received both of those wrongly deceased rides back in some form, albeit not as great or grand as the original, but hey its something!

Totally agree with everything you said! If it was somewhere else in the park with the same themeing, I do not think it would get the wrap it gets today. It's not its fault it got placed there by Paramount.

• Like 2

BLSC isn't something I ride often, but it is a fun little coaster, and I know a lot of people who seem to enjoy it. Personally, I don't want to see any coaster go unless for safety and maintenance concerns. I certainly don't want rides to go out of spite for what was there before. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@SonofBaconator, the biggest cosmetic change in my opinion would be in Oktoberfest. Think about it, there are no original rides, very little original theme, and over the years the skyline has changed. The pictures in the Oktoberfest changes through the years thread speaks for itself. 

• Like 2