Re-Visiting the Story of the Kings Island/Jungle Jim's Monorail

Gordon Bombay

Hi everyone, 

Back in 2008, I visited Jungle Jim's and wrote a story for this site about the park's former monorail which was (at the time) being repurposed there. I was accompanied by Keith, a KIC member and former monorail operator. Years later, I finally got to ride the thing with @BoddaH1994. I dug up some of my old photos, cleaned em up, and put together a new story that tells the tale of the monorail at both Jungle Jim's and Kings Island. 

You can read the full thing here: http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/2018/12/jungle-jims-monorail.html

There are also some fantastic resources out there that helped me cobble together the story (admittedly it's a bit brief on my site, but these two links are GREAT reads):
1) Ty's thread from 2011
2) This great piece on the KI website by the talented @Shaggy.

IMG_9836.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Nice article, Ronny! 

It would  be nice to see what future expansion they have planned for that property.  I always have liked how the original grew organically.  The Eastgate location is nice, but there is just something about it that doesn`t seem as authentic as the one in Fairfield.  Maybe its the fact that it went into an existing location, and they built it all at once, whereas the original in Fairfield grew organically and was added onto piecemeal.

• Like 2

Fairfield Jungle Jim's has been renovating the storage building. Added a new shed, and started clearing some of the land around the station. I wonder if they are gearing up to start doing some more stuff with the monorail there.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:20 PM, CoastersRZ said:

Nice article, Ronny! 

It would  be nice to see what future expansion they have planned for that property.  I always have liked how the original grew organically.  The Eastgate location is nice, but there is just something about it that doesn`t seem as authentic as the one in Fairfield.  Maybe its the fact that it went into an existing location, and they built it all at once, whereas the original in Fairfield grew organically and was added onto piecemeal.

Thank you sir. I hate to admit it, but I haven't been to the Eastgate location still. 

12 hours ago, Stoan said:

Fairfield Jungle Jim's has been renovating the storage building. Added a new shed, and started clearing some of the land around the station. I wonder if they are gearing up to start doing some more stuff with the monorail there.

Yep, that new shed is for monorail maintenance/storage. The existing "Snake" building/station is having its maintenance/track storage converted to event space.

8 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

Incredible write up. Always a pleasure. Thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks, @beastfan11, hope you're well!

• 2 months later...