International Street Discussion

Klabergian Empire

Ya know, I watched the Partridge family episode last night. The most iconic scene for me was the shots of International Street like the picture below. I personally think that a return to this set-up would benefit not only the park, but the eyes of the guests too. Just remove the trees, plant new ones, paint job on the buildings and some other landscape work and you are good .Related image

• Like 1

Kings Island International Street looks like the slums compared to Kings Dominion's.    KD (and Canada's Wonderland) have better looking buildings, which will not change at KI.  But the biggest factor that makes KD look so much better is the landscaping and the tables.

KD has more of a tree canopy, and several nice places to sit by the fountains with umbrella tables.  Those areas are separated from the main walkway by islands of landscaping.
At KI, the cheap trashy looking white picnic tables (with no shade whatsoever) are directly in the walkways.

Kings Dominion International Street is a great place to just sit and take a break in the shade.  At KI, the only place to sit is those awful picnic tables in the sun.

35 minutes ago, super7 said:

Kings Island International Street looks like the slums compared to Kings Dominion's.    KD (and Canada's Wonderland) have better looking buildings, which will not change at KI.  But the biggest factor that makes KD look so much better is the landscaping and the tables.

KD has more of a tree canopy, and several nice places to sit by the fountains with umbrella tables.  Those areas are separated from the main walkway by islands of landscaping.
At KI, the cheap trashy looking white picnic tables (with no shade whatsoever) are directly in the walkways.

Kings Dominion International Street is a great place to just sit and take a break in the shade.  At KI, the only place to sit is those awful picnic tables in the sun.

I disagree.  As a matter of fact, I have always found KD's International Street paled in comparison to KI's.  The KD tree canopy obscures the grandness of the fountains and Eiffel Tower.  I've never understood why they allowed those trees to grow so big - when the park opened - like KI, there weren't any trees at all and it looked so much better!  The trees make it hard to get a good photo.  Also, overall KD's International Street is a tad shorter and more narrow than KI's - that's because when it was built, attendance rates were not predicted as high as KI's, so they shrank the dimensions and gave it a more "intimate' feel - which with the large trees only makes it feel small and congested. Finally, the KD fountain base is painted dark - like green or such and the fountains are low to the water table... I much prefer the "blue" of KI's fountains and the raised pedestals.  Overall, KI's looks much "cleaner."

KD's from above

international-street.jpg

Ki's from above

703583990_65b088a697_b.jpg

kings-dominion-camp-wilderness.jpg

April18thKI_003.jpg

• Like 6

I think they have made vast improvements to IS in the last couple of years, but I do think it needs a more extensive overhaul.  I'd leave the trees, replace most of the grass with seasonal color, add some statuary, replace the picnic tables, update some signage and replace pavers.  Add in some weeping trees and shrubs like the one near the Emporium.  Paint the buildings.  But whatever they do, keep good music on IS!

• Like 2

I have always wondered why they got rid of the street aspect of the area. In the photos below you can see how there used to be sidewalks and then what is supposed to be the street. I think it makes the name make more sense and looks more cleaned up and less cluttered. I feel like that is one major change in the park that is never talked about. 

istreet.jpg

Source

f226dba94a578c11144a3cd58ffb7377.jpg

Source

Well, part of the reason for the removal of the curbs, is trip hazards.  The amount of people that walk on the pathways likely led to trips and first aid runs.  Not to mention the accessibility issues with people in wheel chairs.  And in its current set up, it gets more of the pedestrian traffic closer to the shops where they can see the items that are for sale, which likely leads to a higher traffic through the stores and increased merchandise sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jtro223 said:

I do think KD's IS is more charming, but it is much smaller in scale.  And I have never understood the reasoning for raising the elevation at the front of the fountain, other than photo opportunities.  It blocks off the view of the fountains.  

I agree with that. The mounded landscaping blocks the fountain at KD from the entrance view and the gate photos.

1 hour ago, Phantom Theater said:

f226dba94a578c11144a3cd58ffb7377.jpg

Source

Orignally the park had umbrella tables, not trashy looking white picnic tables.   I think those tables at KI are more Paramount era damage aren't they?

Although this still isn't as great of a setup as KD.  At KD the seating areas are along the fountains, totally shaded by trees and umbrellas.  KD is much more lush.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, super7 said:

See originally the park had umbrella tables, not trashy looking white picnic tables.   I think those tables at KI are more Paramount era damage aren't they?

I'm not sure actually, but those tables do look much better. However, I dont think those would be enough to accommodate the amount of guests the park gets today compared to back then. 

7 hours ago, Shaggy said:

The KD tree canopy obscures the grandness of the fountains and Eiffel Tower.  I've never understood why they allowed those trees to grow so big - when the park opened - like KI, there weren't any trees at all and it looked so much better!  The trees make it hard to get a good photo. 

I am not unpatriotic...but I hate the flag poles at the foot of the fountain. When taking a group photo all you have are silver bars obscuring The Eiffel Tower.

I also say bring on the trees...I love sitting in the shade while I watch the fountain!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

I also say bring on the trees...I love sitting in the shade while I watch the fountain!

That is a big thing to me in what makes International Street one of my favorite places to eat outside at the park.  

silver2005, who enjoys fountain ERT while eating.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

I am not unpatriotic...but I hate the flag poles at the foot of the fountain. When taking a group photo all you have are silver bars obscuring The Eiffel Tower.

I think if they had the "picture area" between the RF and flag poles, it would solve this issue. Or if the flagpoles were located closer to the front gate about 20 feet. 

That is a big thing to me in what makes International Street one of my favorite places to eat outside at the park.  
silver2005, who enjoys fountain ERT while eating.  

I see what you did there with a reference to fountain ERT. Speaking of the fountains, one thing that Kings Island has not gotten that both Kings Dominion and Canada’s Wonderland have gotten is an upgrade to their fountains. Both those parks got a renovation of their fountain which included new LED lighting, plumbing, paint etc. I really hope our fountain gets a renovation within the next few years. It’s definitely due for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Ya know, I watched the Partridge family episode last night. The most iconic scene for me was the shots of International Street like the picture below. I personally think that a return to this set-up would benefit not only the park, but the eyes of the guests too. Just remove the trees, plant new ones, paint job on the buildings and some other landscape work and you are good .Related image

And bring back the skyride as well. (Calling @King Ding Dong)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NewD4y20 said:

They should add a zip line from the top of the Eiffel Tower and have it end with a splash landing in the Royal Fountains reservoir kind of like Diamondback. It would help bring some thrill to the area that it's desperately missing.

What would the slope on that be???

I was sharing my idea with the thread, I wasn't proposing it to you personally [mention=12]fyrfyter[/mention]
If you are keen on "ambiance", perhaps a museum would be more your milieu.

And I was responding to your post. If you can’t accept my disagreement then don’t post.
  • Like 3

Very Steep. Per measure map, the front edge of the fountains is 500’ to the base of the tower. Pythagorean theorem makes the hypotenuse length somewhere close to 584’ using 300’ of height. Throwing 300 & 500 into rise/run calculator makes the angle somewhere around 31 degrees. Percentage grade is 60%.

Considering interstates in WV/VA/NC/SC, have steep grade signs for 3-5% grades, tells the story to such a setup.

Even at 50’ of height, the grade is still 10% or 5.7 degrees. Hypotenuse is 502’.

Max recommended slope on a zip line is 3% for natural braking, max 6% with bungee brakes installed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Honorarius said:

Good question, I'm not at the park right now to measure. They might need to dig a deep end into the royal fountains to accommodate. At the same time, they could also add a high diving act. How's that for a 2 for 1?!