International Street Discussion

Klabergian Empire

10 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

Very Steep. Per measure map, the front edge of the fountains is 500’ to the base of the tower. Pythagorean theorem makes the hypotenuse length somewhere close to 584’ using 300’ of height. Throwing 300 & 500 into rise/run calculator makes the angle somewhere around 31 degrees. Percentage grade is 60%.

Considering interstates in WV/VA/NC/SC, have steep grade signs for 3-5% grades, tells the story to such a setup.

Even at 50’ of height, the grade is still 10% or 5.7 degrees. Hypotenuse is 502’.

Max recommended slope on a zip line is 3% for natural braking, max 6% with bungee brakes installed.

I don't like to make habit of using off the cuff approximations. That's the type of practice that lead to Son of Beast's demise.

I don't like to make habit of using off the cuff approximations. That's the type of practice that lead to Son of Beast's demise.

SoB’s demise, was when PKI opted to do the math in-house and fire the designers. That’s not the case here.

You are talking about the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle. That’s easy high school math. When you measure something by hand and then measure it in an app and compare the two results and they’re the same, then you know you can use that in the future as an acceptable option.

It’s hard to argue against the facts.

There's smaller measurements than 100 foot increments. You think you can just wing it, when a quarter of an inch could have been the reason the rose bowl was so rough?

You say you're stating facts, but you're pulling numbers out of the air at this point. You're also the only one talking about triangles.

I think [mention=12]fyrfyter[/mention] was just trying to get some numbers to go with the idea posted. We are here to have fun and converse about the park. There is no need to take apposing ideas personal. It is okay for other members to have a difference of opinion. 

I was. Here’s what I used:

169595bb69ca3c7d1a36205a785aefdc.jpg

The tower is 315’ tall so 300’. Your zip line is the hypotenuse of a right triangle, if the tower is one leg and the fountains another.

4 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

Very Steep. Per measure map, the front edge of the fountains is 500’ to the base of the tower. Pythagorean theorem makes the hypotenuse length...

Well sure, if you’re going to bring logic into the conversation it’s not possible. :rolleyes:

(But if the park operates like it does where I work, logic very rarely comes into play.)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

I was. Here’s what I used:

169595bb69ca3c7d1a36205a785aefdc.jpg

The tower is 315’ tall so 300’. Your zip line is the hypotenuse of a right triangle, if the tower is one leg and the fountains another.

This wouldn't be all that far off if the Earth was completely flat. Spoiler Alert: The Earth isn't flat.

One must also take into consideration changes in elevations..

5 minutes ago, NewD4y20 said:

This wouldn't be all that far off if the Earth was completely flat. Spoiler Alert: The Earth isn't flat.

One must also take into consideration changes in elevations..

Is this really what this topic turned into? lol, come on guys. There will be no zip line on IS except for maybe those stunt shows they do. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 7:08 PM, standbyme said:

I am not unpatriotic...but I hate the flag poles at the foot of the fountain. When taking a group photo all you have are silver bars obscuring The Eiffel Tower.

I feel differently about this.  To me Amusement Parks are one of the best parts of America so I like the flag being displayed. To be completely honest, I'm not sure what flagpole you're referencing. Did I overlook it in one of the photos in this thread?

2 hours ago, NewD4y20 said:

I feel differently about this.  To me Amusement Parks are one of the best parts of America so I like the flag being displayed. To be completely honest, I'm not sure what flagpole you're referencing. Did I overlook it in one of the photos in this thread?

I agree with @standbyme, I dislike the flagpoles. He is referring to these: 

Image Source

ISpoles.jpg

• Like 1

@Phantom Theater thanks for visual.

I've seen those there plenty of times now that I think of it. Considering they could slip my mind that way, I feel like there could be a better location for them to be observed without obstructing arguably the best photo op in the park.

Move their location, but upgrade to bigger and grander versions is my thoughts on the subject.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewD4y20 said:

@Phantom Theater thanks for visual.

I've seen those there plenty of times now that I think of it. Considering they could slip my mind that way, I feel like there could be a better location for them to be observed without obstructing arguably the best photo op in the park.

Move their location, but upgrade to bigger and grander versions is my thoughts on the subject.

Yeah, I also think that they remove the flagpoles for Halloween Haunt and Winterfest, or at least just Winterfest from the photos that I've seen recently. I think a separate flag display would be great, maybe somewhere in the expanse of the empty areas near backlot. 

10 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

Yeah, I also think that they remove the flagpoles for Halloween Haunt and Winterfest, or at least just Winterfest from the photos that I've seen recently. I think a separate flag display would be great, maybe somewhere in the expanse of the empty areas near backlot. 

Or outside of the front gate.  Maybe in the center area where the path splits to go off to either side of the parking lot.  Wouldn't be terrible to see the flags as you are walking up, and this way it can both proudly display the flags, while not obstructing views in the actual park, and not having to hide them somewhere in a random area.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MonteCristo said:

Or outside of the front gate.  Maybe in the center area where the path splits to go off to either side of the parking lot.  Wouldn't be terrible to see the flags as you are walking up, and this way it can both proudly display the flags, while not obstructing views in the actual park, and not having to hide them somewhere in a random area.  

Yes, lets put the Ohio and Cedar Fair flag out front with the existing US flag. As much as I understand the reasoning for the flags by the fountains, it does take away from the tower in pics.

• Like 2