Jump to content

Oktoberfest Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sorry, but I need to put this out there: OKTOBERFEST ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO BE REDONE!!!!!!! Why, you might ask? Well, if you have been strolling through the area at all for about the last

This should be a major priority. There needs to be an increased amount of Gemütlichkeit throughout the entire area. With more mature trees and shade, this is totally doable. As mentioned, re-Germanize

When I was a kid, this was my favorite area of the park besides Hanna Barbera Land.  I loved the theming and the the polka music.  I loved Der Spinning Keggers and The Flying Dutchman (shoes).  Sad wh

Posted Images

To [mention=10611]pianoman[/mention]'s disappointment, there also used to be a small fountain in front of Festhaus.  

Oh really? I never remember that. Must have been removed before I started going to the park.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pianoman said:


Oh really? I never remember that. Must have been removed before I started going to the park.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See that floral structure in front?  That used to be a fountain, at least through the mid-late 90s. 

PKI.110.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly have been thinking the next coaster after whatever goes in Firehawk's location should be in Oktoberfest. I honestly think they should relocate the latter game. Maybe even relocate Slingshot. I think the coaster could run over the pond near Viking Fury. There are two options I thought of. You could do a Mack Double Launch coaster like Copperhead Strike over the pond and give it a nice Oktoberfest style theme or you could even do a B&M dive coaster there and have an underwater tunnel like Yukon Striker. I don't see Viking Fury going anywhere, but they can work around it. But that would be the big way to start upgrading Oktoberfest. Then maybe some flat rides in that area. My theory is that the whole Coney Mall/Xbase/Oktoberfest area is going to be the main focus over the next several years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

We can only hope with the current park management emphasis seeming to be on “what is old is new again” (e.g. antique autos), maybe they can restore the Feathaus clock (which would be a show in itself that could be programmed to operate at select hours) and a remodel of the Festhaus (the bathrooms are in desperate need of updates).  It is sad that park management made the decision to stop the clock at the end of the 2007 season.

”The Festhaus clock was working every 15 minutes until the end of the 2007 season at which point the VP's of the park decided that they wanted the attraction turned off due to lack of interest from the public and a way to save money on repair costs. It sat dormant through the entire 2008 season, and the control system was then pulled out before the beginning of the 2009 season. As it currently sits, it has been a forgotten feature of almost everyone from the park's staff. It is truly unfortunate that they want to remove any charm/theming from the park”

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kid, this was my favorite area of the park besides Hanna Barbera Land.  I loved the theming and the the polka music.  I loved Der Spinning Keggers and The Flying Dutchman (shoes).  Sad what has become of this area.  But with some love I think it could be an actual destination again and not a confusing walk through area.

I'd like to echo what some have said previously, that a little re-theme of Adventure Express could be a good start.  Instead of the Adventure Village theme the coaster now has, which doesn't fit in as we no longer have Adventure Village, maybe a Dark Forest twist to it a la Grimm's Fairy Tales.  

Also replacing slingshot with a German themed Flat.  Not sure where you would put Sling Shot where it would be able to attract riders with the kind of foot traffic it gets now though.  I feel like that is more of an impulse buy when you see other people going on it. 

I think that ambient sounds and music go a long way to help themed areas also and that should not be underestimated.  Oktoberfest, even just walking through the area as it is now could be livened up with some real Oktoberfest/German music.  Same goes for all the areas.  I remember walking through the front gates, walking down International Street and seeing that fountain and feeling the cool mist hit while songs like "Sabre Dance" were playing. Or even the Top Gun and Star Trek Themes after that in the Paramount Era.  It felt larger than life.  Rivertown could play some Splash Mountain type of music.  This has all been discussed before in other areas, but I'm just saying it'd be nice to have this type of music back in this dying area to give it even a little of its old spark back.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt like it was a missed opportunity years ago to remove Sling Shot and make the entrance to Banshee there ( even it there were two entrances - one from Oktoberfest and one from AZ that “merged” into a relocate queue.) then retheme Adventure Express to relate to Banshee. Like a ride through the crypts (bad memories) and catacombs of a European cemetery while the spirit (Banshee) soars overhead. They could have shared theming elements. Then that would give a major focal to Oktoberfest. Would also maybe give the ghosts from Christmas Carol a place to hang during winterfest instead of roaming randomly with no explanation. My 4 year old was very concerned this year that the “bad man is creeping on the princess”! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 6:15 PM, Winterfestguy said:

We can only hope with the current park management emphasis seeming to be on “what is old is new again” (e.g. antique autos), maybe they can restore the Feathaus clock (which would be a show in itself that could be programmed to operate at select hours) and a remodel of the Festhaus (the bathrooms are in desperate need of updates).  It is sad that park management made the decision to stop the clock at the end of the 2007 season.

”The Festhaus clock was working every 15 minutes until the end of the 2007 season at which point the VP's of the park decided that they wanted the attraction turned off due to lack of interest from the public and a way to save money on repair costs. It sat dormant through the entire 2008 season, and the control system was then pulled out before the beginning of the 2009 season. As it currently sits, it has been a forgotten feature of almost everyone from the park's staff. It is truly unfortunate that they want to remove any charm/theming from the park”

 

 

Phrophetic words!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

If theming somehow became important again to the powers that be, I'd like to see all of what used to be known as Action Zone absorbed into Oktoberfest with a full retheme.

Did you visit the park this year? Theming is (thankfully) very important once more. Orion will be one of the most heavily-themed rides in Kings Island’s history.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Did you visit the park this year? Theming is (thankfully) very important once more. Orion will be one of the most heavily-themed rides in Kings Island’s history.

I'm not sure Orion has any theming at all. The new Area 72 might. We won't really know if they are doing any real theming for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I'm not sure Orion has any theming at all. The new Area 72 might. We won't really know if they are doing any real theming for a while.

I have been told by those who would know. I don’t have specifics, but it will be something to write home about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I'm not sure Orion has any theming at all. The new Area 72 might. We won't really know if they are doing any real theming for a while.

Cedar Fair as of late has been theming their queues quite a bit (Copperhead strike, Yukon striker & Mystic), I doubt Orion would be an exception. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

Well, Viking Fury got a repaint. Do we seen any more cosmetic tough ups coming to Oktoberfest? One I would like to see is the return of the German restaurant that Hank's shack occupy. And maybe something with the Bier Garden. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Well, Viking Fury got a repaint. Do we seen any more cosmetic tough ups coming to Oktoberfest? One I would like to see is the return of the German restaurant that Hank's shack occupy. And maybe something with the Bier Garden. 

I don't think we will see the return of German food. They tried it a few years back and it was short lived.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I don't think we will see the return of German food. They tried it a few years back and it was short lived.

They could pull another Festhaus. German styled building and atmosphere but with mainly non German food.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

They could pull another Festhaus. German styled building and atmosphere but with mainly non German food.

Like the Chinese restaurant that folded and became a Mexican restaurant and did some CF style retheming?

 

1F96E433-8530-4B97-B112-7553579A7336.jpeg

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, silver2005 said:

I don't think there's all the big a demand for German food in a theme park seeing outside of parks more specialized in European theming like BGW and EPCOT. 

With Carnival a German restaurant would be a nice addition.  In fact any variety  beyond burgers and fries is a welcome addition.  I would love to see a German sausage place with kraut and all the fixings, maybe even some schnitzel sandwiches.   Fest house has so much potential and it is wasted on the typical park food.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...