Would a new skyride work?

Klabergian Empire

Would a new SkyRide work in the previous SkyRide location?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally think it would. It would give an easy transport to the other side of the park, a relaxing ride, a great view, and memories for those who rode the last one who miss it. All you would have to do is remove Sling Shot, maybe alter the paths for Adventure Express to make the North Station, re-fit the old South Station, and put up some towers and cable and your basically ready to go.

• Like 1

I'm a bit indecisive about that, mostly because of the accident in 1977. However, Skyrides work at other parks, such as Cedar Point and California's Great America. The thing is, though, I can't think of a modern manufacturer that builds Skyrides anymore other that Von Roll, which is out of business. 

If a new Skyride were built, it would be cool to see it over Coney Mall, start in Oktoberfest around where the Tumble Bug used to be, past The Racer and end over near Kings Mills Antique Autos. It would help make Coney Mall look a little more like the old Coney Island. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

I'm a bit indecisive about that, mostly because of the accident in 1977. However, Skyrides work at other parks, such as Cedar Point and California's Great America. The thing is, though, I can't think of a modern manufacturer that builds Skyrides anymore other that Von Roll, which is out of business. 

https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/transportation/skyliner.htm

Someone is building ‘em!

DFD7FDB8-E0B9-483F-B03E-94A0490C2559.jpeg

• Like 3

I remember seeing the Coney Mall refurbishment over on Youtube that went over the Coney Mall midway (which i loved) and would really wish to see that installed. I mean I would really like to see if the basketball game and rope climb games would be good from an income stand point. if those two locations where removed, you could possibly easily fit a skyride entrance there and work it down through Coney Mall. The Other entrance/exit could be located near WindSeeker and Vortex behind/next to / near WindSeekers evacuation platforms. 

An interview wiith the Disney SkyRide Manufacturer, Doppelmayr: 

and said Coney Mall video:

• Like 5

The downside to having it run the length of the area formerly known as Coney Mall is that it would decrease foot traffic slightly which could lead to decreased gaming, food and merchandise sales.  I say "could" from a devil's advocate position because Cedar Point has a Skyride going down the main midway and I don't know how it affects revenues in those departments.  But I am sure the company has number crunchers that would take things like that into consideration vs armchair enthusiasts like myself.

• Thanks 1

In the case for building a new Skyride, from what we've seen from the park the last two seasons, it seems that a rebirth of Coney Mall is taking place. Coney Bar B Que, Kings Mills Antique Autos, new lighting packages, these are all new additions that give Coney some nice refreshing look. If a new Skyride were built to span the Coney Mall midway, I would love to see a reproduction of the European style fountain in the middle of Coney Island's Mall. 

In 1964, Coney Island Management made plans to expand the Mall, requiring the removal of the Wildcat. When the Swiss Skyride was built in 1965, to add more visual appeal from above, the park installed a large fountain, which I believe was designed by Charles Flatt (the designer of the Royal Fountain on International Street) in the middle of the midway near the Lost River.

The ideal location for such a fountain would be near the Zephyr where the hammer game used to stand. It's a very large plot of land that could benefit greatly by a large display like that.

(Not my photo. Retrieved from the website Cincinnati Views) http://www.cincinnativiews.net/coney_part_4.htm

Fountain -Coney Island.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

In the case for building a new Skyride, from what we've seen from the park the last two seasons, it seems like a rebirth of Coney Mall that's taking place. Coney Bar B Que, Kings Mills Antique Autos, new lighting packages, these are all new additions that give Coney some nice refreshing work. If a new Skyride were built to span the Coney Mall midway, I would love to see a reproduction of the European style fountain in the middle of Coney Island's Mall. 

In 1964, Coney Island Management made plans to expand the Mall, requiring the removal of the Wildcat. When the Swiss Skyride was built in 1965, to add more visual appeal from above, the park installed a large fountain, which I believe was designed by Charles Flatt (the designer of the Royal Fountain on International Street) in the middle of the midway near the Lost River.

The ideal location for such a fountain would be near the Zephyr where the hammer game used to stand. It's a very large plot of land that could benefit greatly by a large display like that.

(Not my photo. Retrieved from the website Cincinnati Views) http://www.cincinnativiews.net/coney_part_4.htm

I have doubts that they would ever install another Skyride, but this would be amazing! I love large fountains like these. They should put that fountain in, Skyride or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

I can't think of a modern manufacturer that builds Skyrides anymore other that Von Roll, which is out of business. 

Important to note that Von Roll Seilbahnen AG was the division of Von Roll Holding AG that produced the original Type 101 Skyrides, such as the one at Cedar Point. In 1993 that division was sold to Austrian manufacturer Doppelmayr, the company mentioned above. It’s not unreasonable to think that they could not reproduce the original Type 101 design again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewD4y20 said:

I would gladly trade the train to get one too!

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have to do that. I also don't see a Sky Ride going to Soak City and back.

Obviously the old location wouldn't work. But they can easily find a spot. I would like it to go behind the Eiffel Tower like the old one. 

14 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

In the case for building a new Skyride, from what we've seen from the park the last two seasons, it seems that a rebirth of Coney Mall is taking place. Coney Bar B Que, Kings Mills Antique Autos, new lighting packages, these are all new additions that give Coney some nice refreshing look. If a new Skyride were built to span the Coney Mall midway, I would love to see a reproduction of the European style fountain in the middle of Coney Island's Mall. 

Fountain -Coney Island.jpg

@BlondyRidesOn, I think this is a great idea! A perfect spot for the fountain would be where nthe old smoking area was in the center of the mall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 10.29.05 AM.png

I don't see any reason that would make the Skyride coming back in the original spot impossible. I have marked a line for the path the ride took. I have also marked 4 perpendicular lines to this path marking where the footers used to be. The only things needed to be removed would be Slingshot and Snoopy boutique. I think this is the best place to put a new Skyride because it will greatly improve the beauty of the park and the memories of the old Skyride. Although this path is less useful as a transportation method I believe this location would make the new Skyride a more enjoyable ride.

I don't think it's unfeasible so much as it is unnecessary. Kings Island's an extremely walkable park. It's so easy to make that circuit starting with Planet Snoopy, through Rivertown, over to Coney and then ending in Action Zone, stopping off on International Street when you need to. It makes it easy to organize the day and I never feel like I'm walking too far without coming across something that I want to ride. But I could see them being helpful for those who might, say, want to head from Beast/Diamondback over to FoF or Racer without wasting too much time (although if the lines for the Skyride are long, it might be quicker just to make the walk). 

At Cedar Point, I'm often thankful for the Skyride because, unless I'm going to hit the Raptor or Wicked Twister, that main Midway is just a hassle. Easier to jump aboard and then when you get off you're closer to all the rides you want to hit. 

• Like 1

If this has been suggested, I'll admit I haven't read every word in this thread.

How about if it connected to Soak City? Possibly a station in Soak City and one in Coney Mall/Oktoberfest/Action Zone. Maybe a third ,middle, station around Planet Snoopy/Rivertown?

Possibly 3 stations wouldn't be feasible, but just an idea. Also, connecting to SC could make the train redundant, but it was a standalone attraction before there was a water park.

• 3 years later...