WinterFest Tips And Advice?

kingsislandfan1972

As many of you know that I go to Kings Island at least once or twice a year but I have never been to WinterFest but this year I will be attending since I won the Lynkins Tree Lighting contest so I will be going this Saturday and Sunday. I'm not quite sure what rides will be open, or what to wear. Will there still be Midway games open and will there be new food stands open or will their be new ones themed to Christmas? (I'm really hoping Potatoe Works will be open becuase I absolutely love their Bacon and Cheese fries yum!) I'm really excited and I just need some help with this and any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Winterfest is a great event but very different to the regular season. This Saturday in Mason their is a chance of rain so Sunday might be better. The park opens at 4 Saturday and there is plenty to do before it closes at 10. Main rides open include, Mystic Timbers, Flight of Fear, Zephyr, Boo Blasters, KIMVRR, Coney Mall flat rides, Horse-drawn carriage ride, Ice Skating and some others. The high is in the 40s both days but with rain a hoodie and jeans is probably a safe bet. 

Food includes the Festhaus being open and fully functional like normal, along with many of the same restaurants albeit given a more Christmas-like name, but same food of course. Hot chocolate is also a great choice and at many locations, not sure about potato works. Also, not that sure about games as I go for the rides only but I hope you have fun and hope this tips help some! 

• Like 1

When I was there opening night potato works was open so you should be in luck. I know at least some of the games are open and some even have a holiday theme to them like the soccer game was transformed into a hockey version. Some of the games are priced in a new way though where you play until you win but the price you pay determines your prize level. 

If you plan on riding the train then I would suggest maybe trying to do that right before close. I rode it one and a half times (the second time we made it half way to the Soak City station but couldn't make it up the grade because of a water leak and rode back to Rivertown backwards) once right when it opened at 6 and the half as the last cycle of the night. There was a fairly log line when it first opened but we walked right on for the last cycle.

I highly recommend ice skating on the royal fountain. I did it during the middle time block and it was sold out so make sure you plan around that. I would recommend the last time block because when I passed by the fountain during the last block there was barely anyone and you get until 10:30 even though the park closes at 10

• Like 1

First off @kingsislandfan1972, congrats on winning that contest! In terms of what to do, there is lots to do, so these are my suggestions...

- Ride at least one of the two coasters open... it's surreal to be riding a coaster in December and they are both good rides (and if you do ride Flight of Cheer, pay special attention to the queue line theming).

-Play some games if you want- both Arcades are open as well as some of the themed midway games (Center Ice was a blast when I played last year)

-See the shows- You won't see them all in one night, but if you only have one visit, I'd reccomend Tinker's Toy Factory, Four Drummers Drumming, The Mistletones, and Charlie Brown's Christmas Spectacular (while that last one is not my personal favorite, it is a nice Broadway-style show and it's a heated building). What the Dickens is another good choice too! On a final note, the Petting Farm is now "Sounds of the Nativity", where singers intermittently sing Christmas songs.

-Interact with the characters- there will be plenty of roaming characters throughout the park and you may see a familiar face or two! 

-Go Ice Skating- I did it last year and it was really cool.

-Finally, have fun and make sure to pick up an Experience Guide at the entrance!

EDIT: Also, make sure to take in all of the light displays.

• Like 1

Just soaking in the sights is the main thing to do...it is quite an experience. I had to ride Mystic Timbers just to say that I had ridden it in December...and in the cold, but other that & the train I wouldn’t worry about any of the rides. (Although do go into the entrance to Flight Of Cheer and check out the posters...they are fun!)

I love taking family photos...and the park has gone above and beyond providing great photo ops. It amazed me how many that there are this year.

Have fun! :)

• Like 2