Universal Orlando’s 4th gate is all but confirmed!

I have to wonder on the timing to open a fourth gate.  How long did it take them to build Islands of Adventure when it opened in 1999?  

I am sure that Disney will have a huge hit on their hands next year when Star Wars Galaxy`s Edge opens at Hollywood Studios and Disneyland.  I still hear wonderful things about Pandora at Animal Kingdom, particularly the Flight of Passage ride, as being one of the most incredible ride experiences people have ever been on, so it should be interesting to see what Star Wars has.  

Universal struck it big with Harry Potter.  But now it seems like Disney is firing on all cylinders in Florida.  Not to say Universal hasn`t been doing new things (new Harry Potter attraction under construction at Islands of Adventure and their Volcano Bay water park.

It certainly is giving people a reason to not just visit Disney when they go to Orlando.  My next visit down there will be to the house of mouse though, because my son loves all things Mickey.

1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

I have to wonder on the timing to open a fourth gate.  How long did it take them to build Islands of Adventure when it opened in 1999?  

I am sure that Disney will have a huge hit on their hands next year when Star Wars Galaxy`s Edge opens at Hollywood Studios and Disneyland.  I still hear wonderful things about Pandora at Animal Kingdom, particularly the Flight of Passage ride, as being one of the most incredible ride experiences people have ever been on, so it should be interesting to see what Star Wars has.  

Universal struck it big with Harry Potter.  But now it seems like Disney is firing on all cylinders in Florida.  Not to say Universal hasn`t been doing new things (new Harry Potter attraction under construction at Islands of Adventure and their Volcano Bay water park.

It certainly is giving people a reason to not just visit Disney when they go to Orlando.  My next visit down there will be to the house of mouse though, because my son loves all things Mickey.

They will open several attractions between now and the 4th gate. I’ve heard 2022 is the year.

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I am just wondering what Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is going to do to pricing and the crowds.  Might be best to avoid that area for the next few years.

You will see an increase in both. Absolutely.

The rumor that I have heard is that the plan is a park with a small number of highly themed worlds.  It sounds to me like an Islands of Adventure 2.0, except only 4 or 5 total worlds, the big difference from IoA is I have heard the worlds are separate and will require that you enter into that world somehow and the sections will mostly not be visible from each other.  Think about how Diagon Alley was done in Universal Orlando, except on even larger scales.  For instance to get into the Mario section you will need to walk through a giant green pipe.

The most obvious world is Mario, and it is featured heavily in the leaked concept art.  We will likely see another expansion of the Wizarding World and it will likely be based on the Fantastic Beasts movies.  Other rumors have included Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Kung Fu Panda, Universal Monsters, Jurassic World, Shrek, and How to train your Dragon.  My guess is the monsters is likely, but I doubt Lord of the Rings or Star Trek will appear.  Jurassic World is also pretty likely because they are already building attractions based on the property at other parks and I think that Universal will just leave the original in IoA alone and not convert it, although I do believe the coaster is coming soon.

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2018 at 3:12 PM, NewD4y20 said:

Super Nintendo World is going to overshadow all other attractions at theme parks imo.

At least until someone builds a section with a Fortnite theme.

It will be cool, but I'm not holding my breath too much. I think it's just going to be replacing the childrens/family area. It could be really cool still, but I don't think it's going to be a groundbreaking experience for adults to enjoy. I don't think it will be anything on the scale of the Harry Potter attractions.

• 3 weeks later...