International festival

brent

Just completed survey about the naming of a very interesting proposed event for KI this summer. Sort of Dollywood festival if nations meets Mardi Gras with a light parade, international carnivals acts, international food, a street party at night etc etc etc. sounds like this is more than a “what would you think if we did this” type of survey since it was more about the names of the components of the events. This is the second major survey I have filled out in three days for them. All “festival and event related” so I think we can see where their heads are at right now. I see lots more going into entertainment budget and foods budget in the coming seasons. Maybe even more than major capital ride expenditures. Using short run event as a way to drive attendance more than “bigger, higher, faster”. VERY INTETESTING! 

• Like 1

CP experimented with bringing out the huts (like those used during KI Winterfest Artisians Village) and serving foods from various countries on the weekends this last season.  It sounds like CF wants to expand the same concept to other parks like KI.  I wish KI would have a Beer and BBQ event like CP does in June.  Since CF has said they need to reduce their labor budget, I would be surprised it next season’s budget has lots of extra dollars (but of course depends upon how much Winterfest at the four parks influences the overall Q4 results).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

CP experimented with bringing out the huts (like those used during KI Winterfest Artisians Village) and serving foods from various countries on the weekends this last season.  It sounds like CF wants to expand the same concept to other parks like KI.  I wish KI would have a Beer and BBQ event like CP does in June.  Since CF has said they need to reduce their labor budget, I would be surprised it next season’s budget has lots of extra dollars (but of course depends upon how much Winterfest at the four parks influences the overall Q4 results).

They plan to reduce labor costs but a bunch of people have been posting on Facebook that their pay is being bumped up next year. I’m wondering if hours are being limited.

Looks like a cool event. I’d love to see what they do with a parade.

Not sure if it was a change for this season, but Cedar Point is no longer open until 11pm during weekdays in July like they used to be for years.  They close at 10pm except on Fridays and Saturdays in July when they are open until midnight.  So they are saving labor costs on five hours of operational time every week in July.  There are other ways to save labor costs besides limiting hours.  I would suspect we will see more self ordering kiosks and automation where they can to save on labor.

30 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Not sure if it was a change for this season, but Cedar Point is no longer open until 11pm during weekdays in July like they used to be for years.  They close at 10pm except on Fridays and Saturdays in July when they are open until midnight.  So they are saving labor costs on five hours of operational time every week in July.  There are other ways to save labor costs besides limiting hours.  I would suspect we will see more self ordering kiosks and automation where they can to save on labor.

Yes. And I think all of those are taken into account. When they raised the food department wage a few years ago they did not raise the budget - they limited the hours. There is some give or take. They work less but make more. It’s makes it more attractive. Honestly with the staffing issues that they had in a lot of departments (especially @King Ding Dong‘s Freestyle Machine in RT B)) I don’t know where the cuts would be. I know that after the 4th of July results the rides crews were brought down to minimums except on weekends, so stuff similar to that is on the table. Plus they are going to have a surge of employees with the dorms, so the ability to staff should be better. 

Sorry to derail the topic. This festival looks awesome! Labor budgets will be allocated separately for this if it happens. 

• Haha 1

But there are also competing forces.  When you have other places like Target offering $12 an hour, it becomes harder to attract employees to a seasonal job making less than that amount.  I know that at Coney, where we offered $9 an hour this pas season, we still had a hard time keeping things staffed.  This was the first year where Coney offered more than minimum wage, and that was in an attempt just to attract enough employees.

I agree on the festival front.  If this comes to fruition it will be nice.  The Nickelodeon Celebration Parade that ran in 2005 and 2006 (and the Winterfest Parade in 2005), added a lot of excitement to the park.  The Nick Parade traveled around to all of the parks, so it was only at each park for a couple of weeks.  It was well done and had a Disney vibe to it.  I am excited to see what develops from this and would assume it would be a temporary event similar to the Nick Parade.  It would definitely add some excitement to the park, and I would love to take my son to see it!

I've wondered why KI hasn't had more festivals.  I think as Winterfest and Haunt have shown, events are great ways to get more people in the parks.  The Peanuts Celebration was really well done this year as well.

I know many parks (Canada's Wonderland, Dollywood, Epcot, etc.) do a variation on that theme so there is a lot of good things that they can do.

• Like 1