Single rider line.

brent

Question. I got “read the act” last week when I was there with my older two kids and we did single rider for Mystic. My kids are older and can both wait by themselves until we all ride and we had NO expectation that we would ride together. This lady kept telling me she drove “three hours by herself without her family to enjoy the park” at first I thought she was being nice and chatting in line. Then I realized she was “informing me” I was violating her definition of single rider. I don’t get it. If three people in front of her were total strangers or knew each other was irrelevant as she still would wait till three people were placed in front of her. She wouldn’t stop. Kept saying “I’m a single rider” finding other “ singles” to support her argument in line. No wonder she’s there without her family. They probably don’t care for her either. Didn’t really matter since when we got to the load and they went to get a single she cut in front of my son (who was really the next single) just so she could get on and I guess prove her point. Whatever, but thoughts? Should single riders really be lonely people with no friend by themselves, or are people who are together but have no expectation of riding together or sitting on the same train to be allowed? 

• Like 3

Contrary to her's and some others' beliefs, there is absolutely NO requirement that those waiting together in single-rider line actually be "single" (that would be difficult to enforce anyway)...

It's only that, as you noted, they can't hold any expectation to be put together in the same row or even same train.

You sir, were in the right...

She was in the wrong.

• Like 1

I know people hate my opinion, but I'm gonna say it anyways.

They should've just kept fastlane. I know it's an extra charge, and some people will cry about it being too extra. But, it's an extra buck for KI, and when Mystic Timbers get longer lines then normal season in winterfest, it seems pretty logical to me. And myself and others can get the most out of my FLP season passes.

I never really seen the reasoning for changing the line itself, as it had no issues as it was in the normal season, but, you can never have everything perfect ig.

6 hours ago, matthew0813 said:

I know people hate my opinion, but I'm gonna say it anyways.

They should've just kept fastlane. I know it's an extra charge, and some people will cry about it being too extra. But, it's an extra buck for KI, and when Mystic Timbers get longer lines then normal season in winterfest, it seems pretty logical to me. And myself and others can get the most out of my FLP season passes.

I never really seen the reasoning for changing the line itself, as it had no issues as it was in the normal season, but, you can never have everything perfect ig.

My wait for Mystic last weekend was the shortest I have ever waited. 

Yepp we waited 5 mins last night for Mystic and FOF was a walk  on up until around 6ish. After the tree lighting thats when the park starts to get busy. So if you want to marathon the two BIG coasters that are open, then go do that, I know its kinda a walk from FOF to Mystic but it is what it is. I had a blast last night!! 

This is my personal opinion on the matter. Some take the word "Single" literally.  If a group of people that know each other are okay with riding separate with a stranger, and most likely different trains, I don't see any park rules being broken by using the single rider lane.

I am pretty sure it is an option for a few reasons. This technically makes load times quicker, for the ride ops are not spending time latching seat belts around restrains, and helps with capacity. 

• Like 3

I agree with @IndyGuy4KI.

I was able to get 4 walk up rides via the single rider line on Saturday, but there was rarely more than a stair wait in the standard line.

My last ride was made memorable.  I was waiting to be seated and a very vocal 20ish lady came behind me and said "Ummm, you don't have to wait, like just go on in."  I responded that they have a seperator who assigns seats and she proceeded to argue.  I told her to be my guest and go in front of me.  She bolted out.  Of course the seperator made a point to get her attention to the point of going to the row she had chosen and telling her to go back to the holding area.  Fortunately, at this time the next train was rolling in and I was only subjected to about a minute of "Oh my God, this is like totally stupid, I have a Fast Lane and a Gold Pass...."

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Backlot Stunt Coaster#1 said:

I dont know whats worst the lady or you choosing to ride the ride by yourself instead of with your kids.

Did you read the entire post or jump to a personal attack right off The Bat? I was in line with my two older kids, talking, having fun, knowing that we would be at most 1-2 cycles apart, and with three trains running, that would be a matter of minutes. We have ridden every ride together many times, and they actually like feeling grown up and responsible enough to “ride it alone” we had spent the entire evening together, and continued to do so after this. This was a way to experience more in less time and go do more together for the rest of the evening. Do you ever hurt your head riding your high horse? 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Single Rider lines just do not work well on a ride with 2 seats across. I was in the Mystic Timbers single rider line on busy Winterfest days. They were usually only allowing one person from the single rider line for every cycle. That is at least 20 regular riders to one. Twice I saw the entire regular line clear out before I got a ride and it got rather long. When its 2 riders across they can take 2 groups of 3 to fill them from the normal line. There is also a lot of families using the single rider line because at first glance it looks quicker. I've even seen some of them do one worse and when their partner gets seated they sneak on and steal a seat while the ride separator has their back turned.  I have had ride separators assign me a seat only to have the person already standing in that row take the left seat so I cant sit and have to wait. I have had mothers chew me out because they wanted their almost adult children to have a ride all to themselves. I would rather see the whole chain do what King's Dominion tried last Winterfest and switch to fastlane at Winterfest. 

Well managed single rider lines maximize capacity.   Expedition Everest at Disney is the perfect example.   They have a regular, fast pass and single rider line and efficiently merge them together.  There is never an empty seat on that coaster.

its two wide seating and the single rider line moves consistently.     Odd number groups make it useful.   

13 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Single Rider lines just do not work well on a ride with 2 seats across. I was in the Mystic Timbers single rider line on busy Winterfest days. They were usually only allowing one person from the single rider line for every cycle. That is at least 20 regular riders to one. Twice I saw the entire regular line clear out before I got a ride and it got rather long. When its 2 riders across they can take 2 groups of 3 to fill them from the normal line. There is also a lot of families using the single rider line because at first glance it looks quicker. I've even seen some of them do one worse and when their partner gets seated they sneak on and steal a seat while the ride separator has their back turned.  I have had ride separators assign me a seat only to have the person already standing in that row take the left seat so I cant sit and have to wait. I have had mothers chew me out because they wanted their almost adult children to have a ride all to themselves. I would rather see the whole chain do what King's Dominion tried last Winterfest and switch to fastlane at Winterfest. 

Keep in mind the original and entire intent of the single rider line is to fill the train WHEN there are open seats available AFTER all other available queue lines have been placed. 

The single rider lane is not to be given any preferential treatment or some ratio like regular line to Fast Lane ratios.  It is not an entitled line.  It is simply to fill a spot if there are any.  So if they can fill every train from the regular and Fast Lane lines, then the single queue waits.  

If they happened to place you before they filled up the rows from the other line, then you got lucky as that is not the intent...

Now what else happened to you - yeah that shouldn't happen in any scenario but many people are rude...

• Like 1