How was your 2018 season?

IndyGuy4KI

Today is the last day of operations for the 2018 season. Yes, yes, we will end this evening in 2019. For me I spent 30 days in a Cedar Fair park in 2018. I made a lot of memories with my family and our KIC family as well. 

My daughter hit the 52" mark and got to ride Banshee for the first time ever. She loved it. My 4 year old hit his own milestone of 40" for his first ride on Woodstock Express. He can't wait to ride Mystic Timbers when he gets tall enough.

We loved the peanuts celebration and hope it returns in 2019.  The special events at the park really add a lot of value to families. Coasterstock was again a great event that we are looking forward to its return in 2019. 

The addition of Coney BBQ was a great addition to the food lineup. The foods department has made big improvements in the last several seasons, but they still have room to grow especially with consistency at all  locations.

I am very excited for the addition of Kings Mills Antique Autos. I think this is the addition the park needs for it's next ride. I can not wait to see what that area looks like next year.

Haunt seemed to go for quality over quantity. The new areas were excellent, but hope in 2019 they can expand that in the other existing areas and houses. 

Winterfest did not disappoint, I did not think they could improve over last year, but KI proved that it was possible. Moving the skating prep area to the East side of the fountain was a great decision, and opening up the path between Coney and Rivertown was also a great move. I appreciate the Reds Grill Buffett. The change I would make in there would be to get ride of the Frozen cookies and hand out a fresh made normal size cookies.

@DonHelbig wrote a great blog post about 18 notible KI moments in 2018. This might help you with writing about your 2018 season. Tell us about your 2018 season and what you would like to see in 2019!

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2018/december/the-year-that-was-–-a-look-back-at-the-moments-that-shaped-2018-at-kings-island

• Like 5

This was a good year at KI. Even though I've been going to the park since the late 80s, there were a lot of "firsts" in 2018. 

The Peanuts Celebration was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the room they set up with the history of the characters, as well as the art.

I spent a lot of trips to the park with my girlfriend at the time. Unfortunately we are no longer together, but there are a lot of great memories and ride photos nonetheless. We even rode Woodstock Express together, which was hilarious. Plus, I finally have an Antique Photo to call my one, which I wouldn't trade for the world.

My father passed away this fall. My only trip to Haunt this year was the day of his passing. My cousin took me and my sister there as a way to get our minds off things. It was a rough day, but still I had fun. Pumpkin Eater was a stand out. 

It felt like it was never going to happen, but I finally made it out to Winterfest. With me came my mom and sister. It rained, which was a bummer. But I finally got a winter ride on Mystic Timbers and for the first time I ever, I purchased a shirt at the park. It was The Beast's 40th Anniversary design. To go with it, I had a Beast Hot Chocolate, which I shared with my mom. I'm not really supposed to have sugar, but it's been a rough year. So I figured, why not?

• Like 5

I had another good year at the park. My family & I made 4 three day trips this year.

I once again want to compliment the landscaping department...the park looked great this year.

My nephew also turned 4 this year and hit the 40” mark...so lots of cool new adventures with him!

Even though the new Coney Barbecue is not my food style, I love the new building and the nice back access to the carousel.

We all attended the Peanuts Celebration...that was a nice special event!

I have attended every Fearfest & Halloween Haunt...and either i’m getting bored or the park is. I thought that this year’s version may have been my least favorite. The whole thing seems on lackluster autopilot...and I hate that Winterfest invades it...it ruins the atmosphere. I will give props to the Pumpkin Eater walk through...the hanging pumpkins were excellent. Haunt was always my favorite time of year at the park...not so much now. I’m beginning to wonder if fighting the huge crowds for a “been there done that” event is worth it anymore.

Winterfest...what can I say, I am not a big Christmas fan...but the park is amazing!!!  It looks awesome, and there is just SO much to do. I would have a real tough time picking my favorite...the roaming characters, the lights, the photo ops...it is all great. ( I would ditch the haunted house entrance though...that ain’t fooling anyone.)

Thanks Kings Island for another great year! :)

• Like 1

My 2018 season at Kings Island was amazing. I already wrote about this earlier in the year in another topic, but heck, it's worth repeating. I'll try to make this a bit different though.

I got Platinum Passes for the first time (also wanted to go to Cedar Point- and did twice- in 2018 for Steel Vengeance), and thus I went to the park 6 times total, which may not be a lot to some on here, but it DOUBLES my next best year (which was 2014). I got a "surprise" visit for the first time- my sister didn't tell me we were going for Media Preview Day, tricked me into going for a car ride, and then she spilled the beans as we were almost into Ohio. I also- finally- saw my first shows. The Dog Show was fun, but Gravity blew me away. The Peanuts Celebration was awesome, I liked the special food offerings and free donuts, and it was nice to finally see the Enchanted Theater be used.

The park looked better than ever, at least as long as I have been visiting (2000, and then 2009-2018). The landscaping was very nice in the summer, and when Haunt hit, the fog created a incredible atmosphere. Then came Winterfest, which I missed in 2017, but was able to do a few days for the first time: WOW. Never have I seen that many Christmas Lights in one place! I also liked the new lights on Racer.

The food service at KI may be inconsistent at times, but I may have gotten lucky. We didn't eat in the park a ton, but we usually got good results when we did. Everything was at least decent tasting, though a few items of note did rise above the rest and stand out, like the Chicken Shack Chicken Wrap I had half of (which also gave a much-needed energy boost). I also really liked the Chicken Tenders from Island Smokehouse. The only "bad" food experience I had was on preview night when everything had monster lines, but I was kind of expecting that because preview night=employees doing this for the very first time.

This was also the year I got my first ride on a now-defunct coaster: Firehawk. I waited until August to ride it, and only rode it once because it kept breaking down in September. To be honest, I only ever rode the coaster 4 times since I started coming back to KI in 2009. It was a decent coaster, but I was not a fan of the huge lines and constant breakdowns. I was usually going to X-Base for Flight of Fear anyway, to be honest. There is a very good chance whatever replaces it, be it Giga, Wing, Dive, or Floorless will be something I ride a lot more often.

Overall, I'd say Kings Island was better in 2018 than any previous year I had visited the park (again since 2009 mostly, plus a visit I only sorta remember way back in 2000 when Son of Beast was new). I would imagine the Kings Mills Antique Autos are gonna make the back of Coney Mall near WindSeeker and Vortex look much nicer, making the park even prettier. And I can't wait to see what special events the park does next year, to follow up the Peanuts Celebration of 2018. Heck, April 2019 can't come soon enough. I even renewed that Plantium Pass anyway, so of course I am gonna be back next year... :P

• Like 4

My family had an amazing 2018 season at Kings Island!!

It was our 3rd year with Gold Passes, and also our first year with the meal plan.  We made 26 visits (coming from 90 minutes away) and had 144 meals, so the cost was well worth it.  Our experience with the meal plan was very good.  We had a few misses, but most of our meals were hits.  We loved the addition of Coney BBQ.

Our biggest excitement of the year was that our 9 year old son hit 54 inches over the winter, so Gold Pass night was really exciting, getting to ride the big 4 as a family, rather than having to split up.  We also did an overnight trip that weekend and went for our first opening day.  The weather wasn't the best, but it sure helped thin out the crowds that day :)

We truly enjoyed "The Greatest Show" fireworks this year, and had a blast walking out each night singing the music from The Greatest Showman.  We also experienced our first Tower and WindSeeker fireworks shows.  If you have never watched the fireworks from WindSeeker, I highly recommend it!!

Overall, the 2018 season was our best season yet, and for 2019 we have Platinum Passes, so we are planning on hitting up Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds....in addition to KI of course :)

Happy new year everyone!!!

• Like 3

The Bansheelover family had a great 2018 season at Kings Island. We visited the park 43 times this year.  25 dry park trips,12 Waterpark trips, 3 Haunt trips, and 3 Winterfest trips. Living only 5 minutes away has many benefits. Many of our dry park trips were on errands that were being run down to Fields Ertl seeing the parking lot was not very full. We would run in, and ride a ride the kids wanted to ride, usually Diamondback, and then go home. Most of the trips were 3-4 hours max on very slow days. We rode every coaster 40 plus times with the exception of Firehawk. I only rode it 5 times, and my kids were scared of it. This year my oldest topped 54 from day one, and rode every ride except Firehawk. My middle topped 54 in August, and began riding everything except Firehawk, and the littlest finally hit 48 in October, and took on The Bat, Adventure Express, BLSC, and Mystic Timbers. She expressed fear of The Racer and The Beast. With having a daughter who did not cross into the big rides we also spent a lot of time in Planet Snoopy allowing her to ride multiple rides.  We also spent a lot of time in the waterpark, the kids rode everything they were tall enough for more times than I can count. This was also the first year they all wanted to Haunt. It was a great time watching them experience it, and we were able to experience all of Haunt in our three trips. We made three trips to Winterfest experiencing everything it had to offer, and drank way too much hot chocolate. Overall 2018 Kings Island was our greatest year yet! I also took my two oldest to Cedar Point for a day, and they cannot wait to go back. Unknown to my family I have upgraded our passes to platinum, and with food passes. 2019 looks to be the greatest amusement park year of our lives!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, standbyme said:

@Bansheelover I can’t fathom living so close to the park that it becomes a pit stop while you’re running errands...it must be nice! :)

We are very lucky, and I am lucky to have kids who love roller coasters. There have been times they say I know you have to cut the grass or do something, but can we please go ride The Beast one time? I cave we go ride The Beast 2-3 times, and come home. 

• Like 1

Hawaiian Coasters 325 had a great season at KI. I went to pass preview and was only there for a little bit. I got to ride Mystic Timbers and Beast. I also got to meet a very popular social media star who goes to KI a lot (Nick Horton). Coney BBQ was really good. They had pretty good ribs and the pulled pork is also amazing! In June, a youth group from a church in Indiana whose leader used to be the youth leader at my old church when I lived over there came and I tagged along with them to KI and it was fun. I knew a bunch of those kids from when I lived over there. The only thing I had to put up with was them constantly asking me questions and them expecting me to know the answer for everything since they knew me as an enthusiast. Since Banshee was a walk on a lot this year, I got to marathon it several times. I got to attend Haunt a few times this year, but didn't go into mazes. I also got to go to Cedar Point on a Friday in August. I probably picked the rainiest day of the year to go, but I got to ride Steel Vengeance and when the rain finally cleared up, I got to ride with no lines. I then went to KI on the last day of the regular season and originally Firehawk wasn't going to open, but it was amazing that they finally got it up and running so I got to get one last ride in. I only got to go to Winterfest once, but it was good. I got to ride Mystic Timbers in the back row in the cold and it was Insane! Probably the best ride I've ever gotten on MT. Anyways 2018 was a good season and am excited for the 2019 season!

I had a pretty solid 2018 in terms of my enthusiast wants.  Finally topped 100 credits with an awesome Pennsylvania and New Jersey trip, didn't go to Kings Island as much as I wanted, but made the most of those visits to make up for that, and also broke my Cedar Point rule about visiting every few years just to get to Steel Vengeance which I'm totally glad to not have waited for that one.  

Looking forward to a great SE trip and my first Holiwood Nights this summer.

21 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Haunt seemed to go for quantity over quantity. The new areas were excellent, but hope in 2019 they can expand that in the other existing areas and houses.

I HATE it when companies go for quantity over quantity. YOU MUST CHOOSE!!!

:D

2018: Didn't go...First season in some time.

Other parks were more enticing. Banshee is good but has lost its new ride appeal. I don't live close enough to abuse the season long meal plan. Diamondback is a great ride but has become repetitive as the premier steel coaster, it can use a compliment. A giga coaster would be a great investment for the park to put their coaster collection over the top

2018 was a cleanse, looking forward to a recharged 2019. 

I experienced four (technically five) parks this past year: Kings Island (of course), Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, Darien Lake, and Cedar Point. I also went to Soak City once! One of these years I will actually get around to going to Soak City more than once. I love water slides but I love roller coasters even more! :lol: I also visited Splashtown Waterpark for the first time during my Darien Lake trip.

I wrote my longest post yet on Facebook which still covered only a good portion of my many experiences in 2018, the majority of which came from Kings Island since I worked/visited almost every day for the whole summer. In fact, after doing a little math, I found that I made 103 trips to Kings Island (including the pre-season work-specific trips such as Orientation) which adds up to 154.5 hours of driving between home and the park, and almost 7,000 miles! I'm hoping I can live in the new dorm this coming season so I can spare my dad's car some mileage (and gas usage!), especially since I live far enough away to be given priority.

I loved the 2018 season and all its jam-packed adventures! Even though I already miss Vortex and WindSeeker, I know I need this three-month break so I can be recharged and ready to work my third season when April rolls around!

• Like 3

Much like a good coaster, 2018 has had its ups and downs for us.

We started the year on the Worlds Fastest Wooden Coaster down in Pigeon Forge with no wait for the 1st row, followed by zen rides on Barnstormer.   We saw Dolly in her show and later on she came through in a parade through the park.  Over the course of the weekend, we rode everything multiple times.  I have seen people put down some of the rides, but to us, there is not a bad ride at Dollywood.  Even the Arrow there is smooth.  With the exception of Lumberjack pizza, we had not a bad meal there. (it was not bad just ordinary).  It was nice to get back on coasters after only 2.5 months.  But it did make the wait for opening day at KI seem like it took forever.

We ended the season with 42 visits to KI (including Pride Night).  Coasterstock was a bit of a mess to start.  We had all 3 of paid for our packages to be delivered by mail so we did not have to wait to get in.  The only person the received one was my wife, who ended up not going again.  After some phone calls and emails, we were told that ours would be at the gate.  I was told later in the season by @DonHelbig that this would be corrected for next year, so we will see.  After that, we ended up having a good time.

On 07/07/18, my son rode his 1,000th Diamondback ride.   As we started bring him on 10/14/14, I consider that a pretty good feat.  That is our ride of choice in the park.

We did eat quite a bit at Coney.  Some of the hits were the smoked turkey and corn pudding.  The mac and cheese and sausage were hits or misses.  Consistency, as others has said, needs to be improved.

We went almost every Saturday and Sunday this year of Haunt.  While it was crowded like always, we go for the night rides, so the Haunt stuff is extra.  Blood Drums was good, but they need a better stage for them.

Winterfest was done very nicely.  I really liked The Vortex to Beast path.  Between the lights and music at a good level, it was the most peaceful area of the park.

Holliwood Nights did not disappoint either.  We lost some time on Saturday night due to lightning in the area, but after 2 days, we were pretty tired anyways.  They put on a heck of an event.  The food was 5 times better than park events we went to.  They really cared about the enthusiasts and it showed.  We are planning to go next year.

We were going to try to get to Kentucky Kingdom when my company and another one had a closed day, but it was right after Pride Night.  We did that once it was really hard on Ganners.  Maybe in 2019 we will try again.

All of these trips have just been Ganners and I.  Gannersmommy has been in and out of the hospital most of 2018.  We were getting ready to take her on her first visit to Dollywood over Thanksgiving, but she passed on the 21st.  I am still a mess over the situation.  KI has become my happy place. during this time, as it helps to get both of our minds off the situation.

She had wanted us to all get Platinum passes this coming year, so I think that is what we are going to do.  No firm plans on where we will go, but wanting to get to Cedar Point, Carowinds, and maybe some others in 2019.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your wife passing, @Gannersdaddy. :(

On a lighter note, I've had a great 2018! Though I've shared many good times in the "2018 Memories" thread, I'd like to share some awesomeness about Winterfest:

-Overall, Winterfest was great this year and I enjoyed the addition of Flight of Fear (as Flight of Cheer) to the ride lineup. However, I think this may have made me think more about the other coasters that weren't open such as The Bat, Vortex or Diamondback (the latter of which I wouldn't want open anyway, but it still stands closed nonetheless). Despite this, I thought that the perfect amount of rides were open. I also enjoyed the expanded lineup of characters, including the ghosts and Marley (It was also great to see The Tannenbaums as well as the return of Scrooge). Speaking of entertainment, I really enjoyed the Mistletones this year and thought they benefitted from the new stage, which really allowed them to shine. Though most all of their songs are good, I think my favorite was the one about Santa Claus and people swinging (as in, dancing).

-Specifically, I think my favorite Winterfest night was that Wednesday night that I took off work to go to. Within the first 15 minutes of arrival, it was a great trip as I saw some parachuters circling the parking lot (For some random reason...), found out that Kings Island sells Pokémon Cards(! At Build-a-Bear) and won and little Santa plush at the Candy Cane game. I also saw a Haunt friend that night (out of character, of course!) when waiting for the train. Last Sunday was also a good way to end the season as I saw The Mistletones, rode Flight of Cheer twice, saw Tinkers, and pet the sheep at Sounds of the Nativity.

As for 2019, I have a few trips planned. First, I will probably do a weekend trip to Kennywood in May for Steel Curtain (it's not about football, trust me- that thing looks amazing!) along with Holiwood Nights in late May/June (with a possible Kentucky Kingdom trip on the way back?). In June, I'll be taking a trip to Florida where I'll be going to Sea World Orlando, Disney's Animal Kingdom and Busch Gardens Tampa (yes @electricsun I put BGT back on the itinerary!). I'd also like to get to Six Flags Great America (which I haven't been to since 2008) as well as squeeze another Cedar Point trip in.

EDIT: Oh, I also got to play Scrooge in "What the Dickens" one time, so there's that! :)

• Like 2

This was an incredible season for me. I've made many new friends, visited many new parks, ridden many new rollercoasters, and made many new opinions.

Started off the year riding Steel Vengeance at the Frontiertown Hoedown.

Rode on the first train with new seats of Diamondback in the season.

Went to Carowinds, kings dominion, six flags great america, six flags great adventure, six flags new england, dorney park, six flags over georgia, and kentucky kingdom. T3 was my 130th credit. I've ridden Diamondback around 500 times this season with the help of the season fastlane plus plan. I got a total of 78 visits, and my little brother hit 100 visits at KI on new years eve, which was also his 9th birthday.

We drove to a lot of parks this year, and I'm planning to go to around 13 more this year, and I'm planning to hit 210 credits by the end of this year.

My top 10:

1. Steel vengeance   2. Fury 325   3. Maverick   4. i305   5. Millenium force   6. el toro   7. ttd   8. Diamondback   9. Lightning run  10. storm chaser

• Like 2

This year was great. Visited CP with my wife after many years away. KI was great as our kids get a bit older. fathers day golf @ The Grizzly then meeting my family at the park was a highlight. My 6 year old is still just a shade short of 48 but we are really holding out hope for the spring. He will ride anything you let him on and I can't wait to ride Beast, Adv Express, Racer and Mystic with him. 

Sadly, I made 1 trip in 2018. It was a great one though, since my wife surprised me with the ticket as a father's day gift. Got to take a friend that had never been with me too, which was very epic to be able to show someone my home park that had never been. Hoping that in 2019, the kids grow a little taller so I can start taking my daughter on "those roller coasters that flip upside down". Here's hoping 2019 plays out to be a better year for me and my coaster addiction!! 

• Like 1

This year was GREAT for me! A few years ago I stopped riding coasters, but after being dragged on The Beast with my mother I found a new love for them. Whilst I rode a few coasters at KI prior to this year, none of them included inversions and this year, that changed. Now I can add Banshee, Vortex, and Invertigo to my credit list! Whilst I regret not riding Firehawk before its closure, I did get a chance to ride Manta at Sea World Orlando and absolutely loved it. I hope that I can ride Nighthawk at Carowinds before it closes, although with the closure of Firehawk I think it will stay open for a while longer.

This means I have one coaster I've yet to ride at KI (Flight of Fear) which I hope to ride next summer.

• Like 2

My 2018 season wasn't really all that exciting, but it was still a pretty awesome year. Went a LOT this year. I even got free tickets and Fast Lane vouchers to any Cedar Fair park from the temporary army tent, which was really the only reason I got to go to CP this year!

I only had 3 visits this year.  One in August we took a big family trip over from Indy.  My parents, my kids, my siblings and their families.  All got Fastlane Plus.  Had a great day!

Also came at Haunt, I believe its 2nd or 3rd weekend. It was still warm out, first Saturday in Oct where it was around 80 during the day.  Came over with a very old friend of mine who I used to work at Walt Disney World with.  She was up visiting from Orlando.  We got Fastlane Plus as well as Fright Lane and had a great time! This worked out amazingly with the crowds that came in the evening.  For having someone there from so far away that may never make it back, it was great to show her all the park had to offer.  She was impressed!  I bought at Goldpass for next season for myself at this time instead of just getting the single day admission.

Got my kids Gold Pass for Christmas and we made it to Winterfest the Friday night between Christmas and New Year.  Got there as the parking lot was opening, got their photos taken and were all right there when the gates opened.  Enjoyed walking around International street taking in the sites for half an hour until speed walking over to Mystic when the ropes dropped.  Hit up many of the rides before dark and were then able to enjoy the lights and shows and hot chocolate.  It was a great night!  And looking forward to many visits next season as well as a trip to Cedar Point also.  Will be my kids' first visit there as well as my first since the summer they were building Maverick.  Which i believe will be 13 years or so by the time we are there?

Anyways, many fond memories this season in my few visits.

• Like 2

My year was short at KI cause I got my season pass late in the year, but I did get to visit the park at least 5 times. Mystic Timbers is fantastic. Haunt was pretty cool even thought I didn't do the mazes this year. I loved riding The Monster with my son several times and he had a ball. Winterfest is probably my favorite thing EVER and the lights were out of this world! The food was all excellent, particularly the funnel cakes, the hot chocolate, and Rivertown Potato Works. Service everywhere was great!

• Like 1