KI Park Maps

IndyGuy4KI

On 6/1/2020 at 10:59 AM, Shaggy said:

The point is, my best memories of that trip are what we did together - not how many times I rode any certain ride.  I have those souvenirs to this day because when I look at them, they remind me of the vivid memories that terrific day.

Just about every theme  park company except Disney lost that concept long ago in the coaster wars. They decided to appeal to Thrill seekers and little children and eliminate  activities and attractions that families could  do together.    Paramount lead the way with this concept with their removal of so many true family rides at the parks. 

However since Cedar Fair has come along they have pointed the needle back in the right direction with their events Such as Winterfest and Carnivale, Better live entertainment, And even bringing back a family ride like the antique autos. They havent  far enough but at least It’s the right direction.

Overall Cedar Fair does have a problem with bringing on low quality food and merchandise that you can get outside the park. Some of it has to do with their sponsorship deals but it really takes away quality from the park

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First Aid used to (still does? Anyone know?) have a 1975 map on the wall. It doesn't appear to just be a framed 1975 poster map but was custom printed, which makes me wonder if the same map was just kept on the wall for 35+ years :lol:
IMG_6840.thumb.JPG.fe9497d7a92121fafa89a139248f8d4d.JPG

That’s actually the next map I’m restoring. I have the 1972 map digitized and restore. Waiting to print copies. But I will have some special editions ready for the 50th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dare you to find a KI map from 1971, before the park opened.  A college buddy who worked at Coney had one and I wish I would have begged him for it.  I would guess they made VERY few of them, probably for employees.  I don't remember much about it, but I do remember a couple things that were later changed on the train ride, such as the location of the enginehouse and a second small trestle where the canoe pond would have extended behind the water tower.

• Like 1

I dare you to find a KI map from 1971, before the park opened.  A college buddy who worked at Coney had one and I wish I would have begged him for it.  I would guess they made VERY few of them, probably for employees.  I don't remember much about it, but I do remember a couple things that were later changed on the train ride, such as the location of the enginehouse and a second small trestle where the canoe pond would have extended behind the water tower.

Only one I’m aware of is this one that is the predecessor to the first souvenir map. 83846d727c0f91e9ca580db96f93ee2e.jpg

• Like 2

It was only a little over a month before the planned opening that everything shut down. So it's feasible that they already had a batch printed and have since decided not to hand them out temporarily due to the pandemic. 

• 1 year later...

Hopefully there will be a large poster size 50th anniversary map this year. I have a bunch of the 30th anniversary Paramount ones, because in addition to what I got in 2002, they were essentially giving away the rest of the stock during the 2007 fire-sale of everything Paramount.

Closing night of 2006 was interesting because they were literally just outright giving away heaps of gift shop bags to anyone that wanted them, because everything they had left would get junked after close because they were Paramount Parks bags. They were hauling boxes of them out of storage and putting them behind the counters in the shops. Useful for car trash bags. They also had the remaining inventory of the Paramount-branded rain ponchos out on the counters for like 10 cents apiece.

• Like 3

Hopefully there will be a large poster size 50th anniversary map this year. I have a bunch of the 30th anniversary Paramount ones, because in addition to what I got in 2002, they were essentially giving away the rest of the stock during the 2007 fire-sale of everything Paramount.
Closing night of 2006 was interesting because they were literally just outright giving away heaps of gift shop bags to anyone that wanted them, because everything they had left would get junked after close because they were Paramount Parks bags. They were hauling boxes of them out of storage and putting them behind the counters in the shops. Useful for car trash bags. They also had the remaining inventory of the Paramount-branded rain ponchos out on the counters for like 10 cents apiece.

I wouldn’t hope too much.

I wouldn't be surprised if I see something like this......  Despite the fact that, I've already ordered my new 2022 special 50th Anniversary park map (two of them) for Kings Island through Guest Services so they're waiting on them right now but they will update with me when I hear from them in my future email so I know what's going on with it.... 

• Like 1