Haunt 2019 Discussion

kingsislandfan1972

There was a completely different feel to last years haunt It just didn't seem alive. I honestly think that since winterfest has come back that haunt has been put on the back burner. Maybe the problem does lie in the fact that they are trying to have so much going on, at haunt, that everything is spread so thin that it lacks the quality that is really there. I was so sad to see freak street gone. They should definitely have something in that area as it felt incomplete. Wall of monsters needs to come back, and also where were all the roamers? I hardly saw any. I love haunt and I know how it can be. A few tweaks and it will be perfect. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that haunt was the second priority to Winterfest for the past 2 years, but now that it seems that park has Winterfest all figured out they can bring back some more focus on Haunt. The public love haunt and it shows because it seems that every Saturday night is extremely packed. I agree that rides and mazes need to come together and bring a more interactive haunting experience like Tombstone Terrortory was. Maybe some haunted antique cars of 2019?

• Like 4

I think a neat idea would be to bring back a Skeleton-key like upcharge, but instead of getting access to one room in select houses, have a parkwide scavenger hunt where guests have to find certain specified scareactors for the next clue or item. At a designated entrance, one Scareactor could act as the "Greeter" and explain the rules, etc. and then give different clues to each guest/group of guests. If this was implemented, this upcharge experience would probably last the whole night (or at least a good part of the night), due to the possible difficulty of tracking down specific scareactors at certain time. The reward at the end could be a Fright Lane pass to use for the next visit of something to that extent. Thoughts?

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, chugh43 said:

I think that'd be good, but you'd obviously need more scare actors than what we've seen currently. It'd also be hard to cover the entire park with attempting to get through other haunts.

That's the thing- if someone signed their group (or themselves) up for the night, they can reasonably expect that the scavenger hunt would take a good chunk of the night. Therefore, if anyone wanted to do other mazes/ride rides, they could come back another night*. Also, while more scareactors would be appreciated, I think the only experience-specific scareactor would be the greeter (for example, one of the clues could be: talk to one of the members of royalty at Dance of the Macabre and then guests would have to find the specific person with the next clue).

*Or, some mazes could be worked into the upcharge (and guests would just go thru the Fright Lane entrance)- for example, one of the clues could say- talk to Mama and then go through Slaughterhouse to find the next clue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kayla_Uzlik said:

On the topic on Blood Drums, I've been in contact with last year's fire dancer's wife and she said that they're going to Blood Drums again this year which makes me really excited! His fire breathing was amazing!

That is great to hear!

50 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Wanna know something funny. I have never been to a haunt  at KI ever.  I have only been to CP once during that season and that's it. I just assume its so busy you can't ride anything. Is this true?

I haven't really tried to go on rides but according to my parents, most of the people are doing the mazes so the ride lines are shorter. 

15 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Wanna know something funny. I have never been to a haunt  at KI ever.  I have only been to CP once during that season and that's it. I just assume its so busy you can't ride anything. Is this true?

You can ride, but expect long lines.  We got for the night rides specifically, and most often they are just as crowded if not more so.  Of course, weather is always a factor.  The funny thing is that I have heard that CP is a total mess with crowds at Haunt

With any "holiday" the closer you get to the holiday, the busier it will be. This is no exception with Halloween. 

Both KI and CP get busier (especially on Saturdays) closer to Halloween. 

Several KIC members have done Halloweekends opening weekend at CP....it's not too bad...Saturday can be busy if the weather is nice. Opening weekend for Haunt at KI can be busy, especially if weather is good. I personally try not to visit either park for their Halloween event on Saturdays. A good time to visit is Friday nights, especially if the local football teams play at home. Although found this past year, if Kings has a home football game, arrive early or take an alternative route as 741 and KI Drive near GWL got pretty crazy/backed up.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, Maverick44 said:

Fridays are usually a little slower since it's night only so people tend to prefer to go for the full day saturday. But Saturdays often start off pretty slow and jsut get progressively busier as the day progresses. It does get pretty crowded but when the mazes first open the ride lines usually die down for a bit while people go to the mazes then slowly build as people go to get night rides in. I haven't done it yet either but have heard that Sundays are usually pretty calm as it's only open during the day and does none of the scary stuff or mazes, just has the family friendly events so the big thrill rides are usually not too busy as its a day focused more on family.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Haunt 2018 an interesting year, while we received new things, somehow I feel like the overall experience went down in over all quality. As for 2019, I think that it will be similar to what happened in 2018, I feel like everything will stay the exact same as funding is going and has gone to other things (Giga possibly, antique autos and others). We still do have some strong points overall though, like Slaughterhouse and Felid of Screams. But I believe the overall haunt experience will go down in quality yet again. :unsure:

On 1/16/2019 at 1:47 PM, CoastersRZ said:

I think that ship has long since sailed.  Haunt was an upcharge the first several years it was held at Kings Island, back when it was known as FearFest.  2000, 2001 and 2002 it was an upcharge event.  Then they made it free with passes starting in 2003.  There were a couple of years after including it with passes that they opened some of the indoor haunted houses in mid afternoon.  

If you tried to make it an upcharge now, pass holders would surely be upset with the loss of what use to be included.  Besides, the immense crowds during Haunt surely help fill the coffers.  Also, it bears mentioning that Kings Island is one of the few Cedar Fair parks that stays open until 1am during Haunt.  I believe most of the others close at midnight.  There are still some hard ticketed events within the Cedar Fair Chain.  I believe Scarowinds and Knott`s Scary Farm are the stand outs in that aspect, but they have always been a separate charge.

For further reading see also Haunt 2008, which was announced during the season in 2007 that it would be an upcharge.  Then it wasn't.

Then they said, "LOL JK 2007 is free with a season pass but 2008 will be an upcharge." Then it wasn't.

It's easy to add things but very difficult to take them away.

That's why they're stuck with Winterfest.  They may also be stuck doing NYE.

Oh, and see also how they cut down on the meal plan in from 2 entrees to 1 at Panda last year.  Then it wasn't.

Then they announced this year that Panda would be 1 entrée instead of 2.  Then it wasn't.

This is why they have to be very careful about what they offer as a built in amenity for season pass holders.  Once they pull the trigger they're stuck with it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JubJester said:

What does everyone think about the future of Field of Screams? I saw in one of the images of the Dinosaurs Alive! that the path is still intact. Do you think it will be here for this year's haunt? I'm sure they could move the entrance if they needed, too.

I’m thinking they’d be able to have the entrance be the same path that the exit is.  Last year was the first year I did that haunt and I absolutely LOVED that walk back, I found it so cool to be out back there.

• Like 1

I hope that they make it clear that the scare actors are not supposed to touch you in any way. One kept stepping on my heels and my friend's heels in Rivertown, and when I told him off for it (I told him that I knew they were not allowed to touch us in any way), he continued to do it. Then, my friend turned to tell him off and he ran to somebody he obviously knew and broke character. I know that is not allowed! 

On another note, I was waiting for my friend in at the bathrooms by BLSC. There was a scare actor from Madame Fatale's, and she did not break character. She was talking in her scare actor voice, and cracking jokes. That is the quality that I expect from the scare actors. 

The other thing that I would like to see from the Haunt is the reduction of the fog. I worked there in 2010-2011 at the Coney Mall in food (both all season long), and the fog would come in and make our stand too foggy to even see.  It has not improved. I just feel as if this is a safety issue, as in somebody could fall and injure themselves. I also hate the knee sliders and chainsaw people. This is not because of being scared of them, but from hearing it every 5 seconds when working there. These two are just knit-picky and just annoying when you hear them every night! My friend worked in the Coney Mall in rides at the same time as I did, (two rides right next to the Skyline), and shares my opinion of the fog and the scare actors.