Haunt 2019 Discussion

kingsislandfan1972

The Haunt site hasn't been updated yet to include what's new for 2019, according to the banner on the top of the page:

Explore 2018's realm of darkness and get a taste of the many haunted attractions that could await you when Halloween Haunt returns fall 2019.

• Like 2

Hoping the site is not complete yet .... with the listed Haunted Homecoming show (which is the worst ever in the history of Haunt) and Monsters Rock show (which is time for retirement) I am hoping neither are returning.  If they are, such a shame in the entertainment department when Carowinds is getting all three new shows (Bone Birgade, Overloards’s Awakening, and Overloard’s Revenge).  Since CP typically recycles shows among their parks, there still might be hope for something new for entertainment at KI for Haunt.

1 hour ago, decyferite said:

This will be our first year going to the Haunt.  Any tips or FYIs while we are going?

It can get really busy if the weather is really nice, so arrive early for a parking spot. If you go on a Saturday the haunts don't open til 6 or 7 I believe so you can knock out rides before then. However Saturday is the busiest.

My favorite maze is Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror, because the set design is fantastic and you're inside the old Crypt building. Field of Screams opens later than the indoor mazes because of the sun, so you can line up early so you dont have to wait in a long line later. 

The lines go down around 1130 and 12 so that's a great time do get a bunch done. However, some actors leave early so there may not be as many.

One big difference between Haunt and any other part of the year is the no re-entry rule. You can’t come and go to your vehicle once you enter for Haunt, you will need to take in everything you think you will need for the night. I believe you may be allowed to leave and return in the first hour of Haunt festivities (so between 6 and 7).

It can be a little annoying because, especially the first couple weeks of Haunt, you may be most comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt at 6 but want pants, jacket, a hat, and gloves by the end of the night. But it’s better to know you need to plan ahead for that than to find out you can’t go grab stuff once you’re in the park. 

• Like 1

Also, if you go Haunt on a Saturday and get there before the event starts (park is usually open something like 11-1 PM those nights), go wait in line/hang out near the first maze you want to go through (barring Field of Screams or Backwoods Bayou*, 'cause they are outdoor mazes) around 5 PM so you can be one of the first in (all mazes - except for outdoor mazes/scarezones - open around 6 ; it gets crowded FAST and lines gets long in the blink of an eye! Also, enjoy yourself and get lost in the awesomeness that Haunt brings! Personally, I can't wait for Mama to open up her Slaughterhouse again (I tell everyone about it while in line/on The Beast!) and to see what other surprises await this Haunt season!

*Now, if you really want to do Backwoods and/or Field of Screams, I'd suggest getting in line around 6:30 (for FoS) or 7 (for Backwoods) as both of these mazes open at 8 PM.

It’s pretty cool that it appears costumed stiltwalkers will be on International Street. I realized the spooky potential of that when I happened to walk up International Street one evening during Carnivale starting off somewhat ahead of one of the German stiltwalkers going the same way. Even when it’s just a nice young guy in lederhosen, the sound as those long steps get closer and closer is exceedingly ominous! I think I have the possibility of being genuinely spooked some at this year’s Haunt :) 

• Like 6

I'm a tad bit confused about Zombie Mall too (as I thought that would mean Killmart would be no more), but I wonder if Coney Maul will be more concentrated to one part and then the Zombies will be down at the other half (near Vortex, Killmart and Urgent Scare). Drums of the Dead sounds intriguing and Shipwrecked sounds really cool; I wonder if there will be pirates! :D Overall, it sounds like with some of these scarezones, they are naming/theming areas of the park where roamers just hung out (for example, Rivertown proper will likely be Rivertown Reaping (Pumpkin Eater is on Backlot's path). Also, I'm glad Chaos is back this year and I wonder why they didn't capitalize on using the Antique Autos as a Haunt attraction...

• Like 3

So today the 2019 Haunt details were released. It looks like there are no new haunted mazes this year :( however they seem to have really focused on scare zones. Haunted Homecoming and Monster Rock returns and the Blood Drums are being replaced by... Wait for it.... Drums of the Dead.... So what's everyone think of it all?

Just seen another topic like this was made elsewhere I apologize please remove... 

Well it appears that the other one was made in January???.... And in a different section.... Maybe you can move the other post to this section since the Haunt is now pretty much here so.it can get more.focus ADMINS please advise...

J

• Like 1

Ok so my thoughts and opinions on the details released....

1. Haunted Mazes - No new haunted mazes is kinda upsetting however I'm glad to see that Field of Screams is returning. Super excited to see C.H.A.O.S returning too I enjoyed it last year. I really hope it is tied into the new coaster somehow. I would really like to see Wolfpack and Backwoods Bayou either revamped or changed into something new...  Madame Fatales could use some more as well.I just feel like they could be better.

2. Scare Zones - Seems like they focused hard on these this year. I was impressed with the Pumpkin Eater last year. The theming was nice and had a backstory and everything. There were also a couple really good costumes and make-up designs. I hope this list of new zones is heavily themed and a lot put into them like they did Pumpkin Eater. Scare zones have great potential..... However they can be a bit disappointing. I can't even think of the name but the one in Action Zone last year really seemed to fail to me. The times I was there there were 3-4 people walking around in hazmat suits and noise makers. One visit it never even opened. Something else that seemed to happen a lot last year was scare actors standing in groups and chatting to eachother which was super frustrating. Something else I noticed last year, and maybe I just picked bad days to visit, was the lack of scare actors. Seeing how the Haunt is only Fridays and Saturdays there really shouldn't be any "bad days" to go. I hope they focus on consistency this year escpecially with promising new areas that have been announced.

3. Sinister Shows - So we have Monster Rock which is usually a good show and Haunted Homecoming coming back. I hope to see some tweaks to both shows but enjoy both of them. Not gonna lie though I miss Hot Blooded. Which brings me to the last show..... Drums of the Dead...... Not sure why Blood Drums isn't returning but find it odd that the replacement for them is another drum core. Nothing against drums but with them moving on from Blood Drums I'd like to have seen some other type of Halloween type band/show go in right there. In all honesty there needs to be one of not two more shows and I'd like to see a small scary play instead of all musicals.

I love The Haunt. It's probably my favorite time of the year at Kings Island. It's not terribly hot, plenty of time to get night rides in, the fog rolling through the park, all of it really. That being said I really wish they'd bring the Skeleton Key back with the Fright Lane. I love the collector Key and the extra rooms I was pretty upset to see them go. I'd also like to see them do another Escape Room with the key or at least a show or.something in the Theatre that goes unused during the Haunt. I know it wouldn't happen but how amazing would a Halloween Cirque show be??!!

Anyway interested to hear everyone else's feelings on it all.

• Like 1

I'm super excited that they updated the site! That means I can talk about what I'm doing this year! I'm in Zombie Maul this year, I still can't say too much about it though, unfortunately. This will be my first year as a roamer after working in the mazes for 3 years. I'm super excited to see what they do with this and I think it'll be a lot of fun.

• Like 2

I really like the direction this year is going. As a former haunt employee I would hear a lot of where are all of the characters. Hopefully staffing will be better this year and people say that less. Also I remember the first year blood drums came about it was in Action Zone. Maybe this is a all new show by Street Drum Corps. I think we were the first park to get blood drums. I can't remember the year.