Jump to content
kingsislandfan1972

Haunt 2019 Discussion

Recommended Posts

We were there tonight. Crowds were pretty low but I didn't see the need to close the park early. It was barely drizzling. Had a great time tonight. Perfect weather for me as i don't mind the rain. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

We were there tonight. Crowds were pretty low but I didn't see the need to close the park early. It was barely drizzling. Had a great time tonight. Perfect weather for me as i don't mind the rain. 

Yeah I was there too. Rain wasn’t as bad as I feel like everyone assumed it would be. I kind of questioned the 11:00 closing since the weather was perfect in right then, but by the time I got to the car it was raining pretty hard. I think they tried to do the right thing by making the call as early as possible but the night just didn’t end up being as bad as they thought.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Looks like the rain sure "rained" on Kings Island's Haunt parade!

From twitter:

 

They just needed more time to setup for Winterfest.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to say it’s been a great first Haunt season as a scareactor. Though my home maze was Field of Screams, I got to be in Madame Fatale’s Cavern of Terror last Saturday and Urgent Scare tonight (well, technically yesterday) due to the rain. It’s been great working with and seeing @exscream team, @XGatorHead 8904@Snowball and others during my time at the park. And yes, I do plan on coming back next year to scare again! :D

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Yeah I was there too. Rain wasn’t as bad as I feel like everyone assumed it would be. I kind of questioned the 11:00 closing since the weather was perfect in right then, but by the time I got to the car it was raining pretty hard. I think they tried to do the right thing by making the call as early as possible but the night just didn’t end up being as bad as they thought.

I guess it's one of those hard calls where you either risk making guests mad that you are closing early or risk guests getting mad that rides get closed down early, with nothing else to do. You also know, Ohio weather can change quickly. lol

I think they made the right call also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall Haunt 2019 was fantastic, the lighting and music were amazing. I even got to hear some electro-industrial stuff that I was familiar with being played over the speakers. I wonder who gets to make the music selections? I didn't go through Field of Screams or Backwoods Bayou like I wanted, but I went a few times.

I think they need to return Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror to its former glory by returning to the old lighting and getting rid of the flashlights and glowsticks. It was scarier when you could see the wax figures and wonder which ones are going to move. Now I can't see any of the detail in the maze.

Later in the season the park got super-crowded - we had to park in the Soak City lot, which is a first. I think maybe the reason the park was so crowded was the gold pass deal. And there was perfect weather. They need to do something about the crowd next year, attendance seemed a lot higher than last year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing they could do to try and help with crowds is try some Haunt Sunday nights. Other parks are starting too and not just Columbus day weekend. If they could staff it people will come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else wish they did a horror makeup demonstration during Tween? Kids are curious things and being able to see how it's done could inspire the next gen of artists.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PatchesC said:

Anyone else wish they did a horror makeup demonstration during Tween? Kids are curious things and being able to see how it's done could inspire the next gen of artists.

That would be awesome to watch. It's amazing how they transform some of these people into something totally different.

On another note, there are tons of Youtube videos on special effects makeup and how some of the simplest house hold items can be used to create some crazy effects 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PatchesC said:

Anyone else wish they did a horror makeup demonstration during Tween? Kids are curious things and being able to see how it's done could inspire the next gen of artists.

That is a great idea. Maybe @DonHelbig can pass that along?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people have mentioned new music. I'm curious, did they still play clips from movie scores (Poltergeist, Beetlejuice, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.) or did they completely change out the music?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

International Street had grunge rock music.  I heard no scary sound effects or scores there.  I think AZ was the same, but I didn't spend much time at all there.  The area formerly known as Coney Mall had upbeat pop/rock music.  The rest of the park had rock lite with some nice sound effects thrown in.  I wish I had seen the girl looking for her baby doll, I saw a video of it and it was creeeeepy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they ditched the scary music altogether? Bummer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No Haunt trip is complete unless I get to see Sam & Mama! 
DEC96428-D2E5-4F59-AF70-B8943301FC40.thumb.jpeg.9e05debc98cc30d3afb104046fadb582.jpeg
God I working haunt, seeing this made me miss it more.. thanks jerk... lol just kidding . I do miss it though. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MidnightBeast said:

I think they need to return Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror to its former glory by returning to the old lighting and getting rid of the flashlights and glowsticks. It was scarier when you could see the wax figures and wonder which ones are going to move. Now I can't see any of the detail in the maze.

I agree with this.  Cavern is one of the best decorated haunts the park has and with the current setup it's hard to tell.  Same with Hexed at Cedar Point, which is one of the best decorated up there and it's Lights Out too.

13 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

One thing they could do to try and help with crowds is try some Haunt Sunday nights. Other parks are starting too and not just Columbus day weekend. If they could staff it people will come.

They tried that years ago and having worked it then, those nights were dead.  However, Cedar Point has their indoor ones open on Sundays.  My old body can only stand working Haunt two days a week though. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, XGatorHead 8904 said:

I agree with this.  Cavern is one of the best decorated haunts the park has and with the current setup it's hard to tell.  Same with Hexed at Cedar Point, which is one of the best decorated up there and it's Lights Out too.

They tried that years ago and having worked it then, those nights were dead.  However, Cedar Point has their indoor ones open on Sundays.  My old body can only stand working Haunt two days a week though. :lol:

Years ago Sundays were always dead and Fridays not bad either. Crowds are bigger, Fridays and Sundays were packed this year. Maybe it's time to give Sunday Haunt another shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUMP (from the Dead)!

So, I just watched Drums of the Dead on Youtube (I couldn't see it live as I was attending to my scarecrow duties in the Field) and I very much enjoyed it. I think it is a worthy successor to Blood Drums and I like how they incorporated both the fire and the drumming aspects of Blood Drums into this new show. The only thing is that I'm not a big fan of is

Spoiler

the "flamethrower" move (where the guy drinks a bunch of lighter fluid and blows it out) as while it looks really cool, there is no real way to time it correctly (though to be fair, I bet it is really hard to get right, period, so props to him for trying!). However, I did think it was cool how that guy used his fire to light the woman's firestick.

And fun fact, all the drummers from this show are now in 4 Drummers Drumming! I know this as after a show, one of the drummers said I could watch DotD on Youtube to see what I missed.

EDIT: Here's the show in case you missed out, or want to see it again:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...