Sea World San Diego 2020

Sea World San Diego announced that they'll receive a B&M Dive Machine in 2020 named "Mako" along with other additions.

https://behindthethrills.com/2019/01/seaworld-san-diego-announces-new-coaster-and-plans-for-2020-and-beyond/

I like how Sea World themes their rides to animals but Mako? I get that trademarks aren't cheap but it seems kinda lazy to name the ride after the hyper in Orlando. I think the name "Hammerhead" would have been a better choice but that's just me.

All in all it looks like a cool addition to the park. Too bad they have a height guideline to follow

• Like 2

SeaWorld San Diego is a nice park.  My friend Dave and I were out there a few months ago and we really enjoyed our visit.  The biggest issue they have is that the park doesn't have a whole lot to do on the "amusement" side of the park, so this will be a welcome addition.  This new B&M dive will fit in very nicely in the park, and it will be the only B&M dive west of the Mississippi.  I'm sure they'll get some mileage out of this addition.  

2020 will certainly be an exciting year for the Sea World / Busch parks.  Every park is getting a new major coaster,  Busch Gardens Tampa is getting RMC Gwazi, Busch Gardens Williamsburg is getting a new Intamin launch coaster, Sea World Orlando what looks to be a Wave Breaker coaster, Sea World San Antonio a GCI and now a B&M Dive for Sea World San Diego.  Exciting year but I just hope they are not over extending themselves in the same way Six Flags did in the early 2000s.

This feels reminiscent of the Shapiro maneuver SIX did in the early 2000s that led them to bankruptcy in dumping all this money into big rides.  Granted, SEAS has less parks and a bit more wiggle room in terms of their markets, but this does seem a bit much in such a short time span.  

• Like 1

Six Flags before the bankruptcy and SeaWorld today are in very different financial positions.  

I wish I had the 4th quarter results from SEAS, but I do not expect to see them until February.  But looking at what data has been released, SeaWorld is profitable again.  For the last 4 quarters over which data is available so October 2017 to September 2018, they made $35.41 million dollars total.  Last year they announced a pivot away from animal shows to more rides and these announcements and all of the 2020 plans in general are a huge piece of those plans.  The chain needs these kinds of additions to be able to get itself back into a healthier position. 

When Six Flags declared bankruptcy they were losing more than a hundred million dollars a year.  If interest rates rise it is possible SEAS will get into trouble but at least right now they are stable and so far the additions they have already made they have been able to afford out of their earnings and are not being financed by debt.