Expanding Action Zone

SonofBaconator

This has been discussed in other threads across the forums but does anyone think Action Zone will/should be expanded? The most obvious location for expansion would be the underused Timberwolf Amphitheater as well as Congo Falls and even Xtreme Skyflyer. The land is relatively flat and rides like Congo Falls and Xtreme Skyflyer could be relocated if need be. I think this would be a good location for some extra flat rides or possibly even a large scale attraction like a Dive or Wing coaster should the park ever decide to go that route. 

outline.png

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

This has been discussed in other threads across the forums but does anyone think Action Zone will/should be expanded? The most obvious location for expansion would be the underused Timberwolf Amphitheater as well as Congo Falls and even Xtreme Skyflyer. The land is relatively flat and rides like Congo Falls and Xtreme Skyflyer could be relocated if need be. I think this would be a good location for some extra flat rides or possibly even a large scale attraction like a Dive or Wing coaster should the park ever decide to go that route. 

outline.png

I think that's the perfect location for the next major expansion. I wonder how large of a coaster could fit in Timberwolf's footprint. Maybe something like an RMC T-Rex or a Mack Multi-launch? You could also go the route of a smaller coaster like a Sky Rocket or a Free Spin and flat or two.

Skyflyer would be relatively easy to relocate, but I think Congo would be too expensive to move. I imagine there is a lot of plumbing and concrete work going on under ground. Personally, I'd like to see both rides stay in Action Zone and any expansion be limited to Timberwolf's footprint.

• Like 1

I have actually thought of this, looking at Google Maps and such. Though TBH that "Red" area you highlighted could be even bigger- if the reason Kings Island got rid of Firehawk truly is because Vekoma stopped making parts for it because it is a "rare" model, then Invertigo is also screwed because it is also a rare old Vekoma model (and is no longer even on offer), once the Stinger scrap parts run out. And if you add Invertigo's spot to that red area, it becomes pretty much big enough for almost anything. A huge RMC woodie/hybrid, B&M Wing Coaster, B&M Floorless, or even a Twister Giga could fit.

You could even keep Timberwolf (just take out Invertigo and Congo Falls) and you could probably fit a B&M Dive Coaster or a compact Intamin/Mack Launch coaster there (based on how large the site for Copperhead Strike is).

• Like 1

Timberwolf and Invertigo can go-Would open up tons of space. Like to keep Congo Falls as it's a classic. Also would love to have a new coaster back between Banshee and The Bat, but I think that all hilly woods areas should have coasters. Whatever they do, that entire area needs more shade, trees, and theming. It really is the least attractive area of the park. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 11.34.56 AM.png

2 hours ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

Why relocate or remove rides when there is so much unused acreage owned by KI? 

The more land you develop, the more land you have to maintain, patrol, staff, etc. Building a new coaster in the Dinos area is great, but you'll have to build all the infrastructure, new restrooms, new food locations, etc. Then you have to maintain and staff those locations.

If the park decides the opportunity cost of removing an attraction is worth it, that's the quickest way to a higher return on investment. If you expand into Timberwolf and remove Congo, you don't have to invest in as much infrastructure. There are already shops, food stands, and restaurants near by that will see increased traffic. Also, the staffing saved from removing an attraction can be applied to staffing the new attraction.

• Like 1

The more land you develop, the more land you have to maintain, patrol, staff, etc. Building a new coaster in the Dinos area is great, but you'll have to build all the infrastructure, new restrooms, new food locations, etc. Then you have to maintain and staff those locations.

If the park decides the opportunity cost of removing an attraction is worth it, that's the quickest way to a higher return on investment. If you expand into Timberwolf and remove Congo, you don't have to invest in as much infrastructure. There are already shops, food stands, and restaurants near by that will see increased traffic. Also, the staffing saved from removing an attraction can be applied to staffing the new attraction.

In the exact opposite thought, that’s all minor. The biggest issue is dealing with the guests. You don’t want everyone concentrated into one area. AZ was miserable when I was younger and it had SoB and everything else jammed back there. It wasn’t comfortable or fun, because of the amount of people.

It’s a much better plan to diversify your park and spread the crowd around. X-base needs the development to turn it into its own area.

There are 3 coasters in AZ, 3 in Rivertown, 3 in Coney Mall, 1 in Octoberfest and 1 in X-base. You can’t expand Octoberfest, but X-base is prime for development. A nice new coaster, amenities, concessions and maybe a flat or two and you have a whole other area that’s been decidedly underdeveloped and underused since it was built.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fyrfyter said:

There are 3 coasters in AZ, 3 in Rivertown, 3 in Coney Mall, 1 in Octoberfest and 1 in X-base. You can’t expand Octoberfest, but X-base is prime for development. A nice new coaster, amenities, concessions and maybe a flat or two and you have a whole other area that’s been decidedly underdeveloped and underused since it was built.

I'm not disagreeing with you, X-Base needs to grow and I think we'll be seeing that very soon. Action Zone is often crowded and sometimes its nice to have a little more room, even if it means adding some more attractions along with it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fyrfyter said:

The biggest issue is dealing with the guests. You don’t want everyone concentrated into one area.

Sure, that's a consideration. Though, I think expanding Action Zone can solve a lot of the issues there. The main problem with AZ is that every path is a dead end. If the park expanded into Timberwolf, there would be a circular path along the perimeter of Congo. The park could also expand the path from Kings Island Theater to Invertigo. If they really wanted to get crazy, they could open a path from AZ to Oktoberfest along the Banshee side of Delirium.

In reality though, AZ's biggest problem is the bottleneck between Ice Cream Zone and the seating area.

• Like 1

Pathways that cycle back onto themselves don’t fix the problem. More pathways just makes it more confusing and makes people mad when the pathways aren’t direct.

AZ’s problem is what it always is. Lots of thrill rides concentrated in one area. Everyone wants to be there.

I truly believe Cedar Fair realized this to be a problem when they bought KI. I think Firehawk was a holdover until they could really spend the time and money needed for X Base.

Diamondback went into Rivertown, MT Rivertown, WindSeeker Coney Mall, Banshee into AZ after SoB removal. Cars back into Coney Mall. I think there is an overall plan here, I just think that’s a close secret.

I wouldn’t be shocked if at some point an all new area made an appearance. The existing areas are quickly becoming fully developed, if not already.

• Like 1

An idea would be to develop the Invertigo/Congo Falls/Timberwolf area and maybe add an area where they can still hold Spirit Song. Like set up a stage and put up bleachers or maybe just make it a music festival where people sit on the ground. For the coaster, I think since it's at the front of the park, they should do a wing or dive, but make it stand out.

I wish there was a way of adding a path way from the old SOB station over to the Xbase area.  It would be a way to reduce two dead-ends and connect two areas of the park.  The major issue would be the significant elevation changes behind Adventure Express and Flight of Fear.

Aren’t there a bunch of service roads back there? That see,s to me to be a bigger issue than the paths and terrain.

I am not opposed to an extra path/expansion to X-Base, but it would require more incentive for guests to travel. In its current state, X-Base is just a single ride and its current path takes guests past various rides and shops. If X-Base were to significantly expand and more flats/shops were built on this new path, it would make more sense. But then we get into the aforementioned service roads, terrain, and Banshee, and the justification for cutting into new land when current land could be utilized. 

Not only is terrain an issue, Also consider that a path behind the scenes and so far from the main path could allow for patron mischief. Even Dino’s Alive had its issues. Once while walking the path near the back, my friend and I saw flashing blue lights on a police car on the access road behind the site and on a police car coming down from the Firehawk access. Shortly thereafter we saw the police walk someone to the FH police car in handcuffs. The opportunity to trespass is too great on paths so far from the main path. I could see a possible path between Delirium and Banshee to a bridge past AE to a tight path behind Racer to X-Base. Until there is a reason to use the back stage areas such as a hotel complex, campground, expanded theme area or a separate venue (new Ampithester) I’d dont see walking paths occurring back there.

2 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Is everyone wanting to get rid of all the Vekoma's?

I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of Invertigo because the land could be used for a better ride in my opinion. Keep Flying Ace though because it was probably the most functional Vekoma in the park this year. Not to mention its a great kiddie coaster and gives kids the experience to ride "a mini Banshee"