Kings Island 2019 Discussion

BeeastFarmer

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Maybe someone in the Cincinnati area could answer this: why does this news station have updates about Kings Island in the consumer advocate "don't waste your money" segment?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It is usually any kind of reporting having to do with buying something (like a pass) in general, positive or negative.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:48 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

With this article, I found it interesting when they referred to the park’s new strategy as a “back to the future” trend as I have not heard them say that before

I know that at the beginning of last season they said they were about making “old things new again” which turned out being the tagline for the Antique Autos, so who knows, maybe “back to the future” is an early hint at an XBASE giga coaster or something

• Like 1

H2Overdrive is one of my favorite KI Arcade games, besides Skeeball. H2Overdrive is a watercraft racing game that is really cool. One of the boats reminds me of Top Thrill Dragster, so I typically pick that one. Apparently, you can enter a pin to save your place for next time (as you can apparently upgrade your vehicle...), but I've never seen a PIN onscreen (I know there is a place to dial a PIN in, though). Unfortunately, it suffers from downtime, which is unfortunate. Funny enough, it was one of these downtimes that made intrigued to play the game as I could see its OS (Operating System) during start-up. It's located in Coney Arcade and actually contains 2 machines so you can race another person (I've actually never seen this happen, though, one reason being that one side may be down). Fun Fact: The game actually crashed/shut down on me while I was playing; it was actually kinda cool in a way! :lol:

In addition to H2Overdrive, I enjoy Skeeball, Scrambler (a game where you hit a button to stop a light and wherever the light stops is how many points you get) and there was a time I enjoyed Guitar Hero in Beast Arcade.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

With this article, I found it interesting when they referred to the park’s new strategy as a “back to the future” trend as I have not heard them say that before

I know that at the beginning of last season they said they were about making “old things new again” which turned out being the tagline for the Antique Autos, so who knows, maybe “back to the future” is an early hint at an XBASE giga coaster or something

Maybe they'll bring back the disco at Coney Mall? :D 

• Like 1

I love playing the Wizard of Oz (and to a lesser extent Willie Wonka) coin pushers.  I used to play the cranes a lot when I was younger, but that was before they changed the way they work, and it was more about skill than luck. I still end up playing them occasionally but when I was a kid, almost all of any spending money I was given went into the cranes :)

I have a pretty big bank of arcade tickets/points at the moment, leading into this year’s season. There was little that actually caught my eye among the prizes last season. I was hoping for more new and interesting prizes at Winterfest (I ended up with a lot of things from the arcade during the first new Winterfest), but it didn’t happen. The things I /really/ like to see as arcade prizes are Kings Island branded merchandise, things I was planning to buy otherwise (like games for my Switch), Lego sets, and interesting decor items. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I love playing the Wizard of Oz (and to a lesser extent Willie Wonka) coin pushers.  I used to play the cranes a lot when I was younger, but that was before they changed the way they work, and it was more about skill than luck. I still end up playing them occasionally but when I was a kid, almost all of any spending money I was given went into the cranes :)

I have a pretty big bank of arcade tickets/points at the moment, leading into this year’s season. There was little that actually caught my eye among the prizes last season. I was hoping for more new and interesting prizes at Winterfest (I ended up with a lot of things from the arcade during the first new Winterfest), but it didn’t happen. The things I /really/ like to see as arcade prizes are Kings Island branded merchandise, things I was planning to buy otherwise (like games for my Switch), Lego sets, and interesting decor items. 

So I recently stopped at the GWL arcade to play, actually last weekend after we hung out :), but they only have Wizard Of Oz coin pushers. Thinking more onto it, I've come to favor the Willie Wonka ones a bit more...I have noticed the plain field for the coins to be pushed off is a little bit smaller than WoZ, which I feel they have an easier chance to be pushed off (whether or not that's true), which would include the cards. I've completed more sets of cards with Willie Wonka than I ever have with WoZ, but I feel that WoZ gives better bonuses.

I've never really been a big fan of the cranes, mainly because I never win lol.  

I remember after seeing you win a Switch game I thought to myself, "man I need to play in the arcade more, Switch games are awesome prizes!' So the following season (last year) I played more, but was a bit disappointed in the types of prizes. Opening weekend (specifically the Friday) of Winterfest, I had noticed there was an Amazon Firestick, which I have been wanting to upgrade mine, so I played some more and decided the next day to come back to get it (so I didn't have to carry it around) and I found that it was gone....I kept checking back and they never restocked it...so I have continued to grow my ticket balance.

I would love to see more KI Branded items, more "popular" items such as video games, cool electronics (whether they last a year or 15) and/or just something unique. 

15 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this question but the all season Fast Lane plus does also work during haunt right? (I’m not talking about fright lane). I was just curious since regular season passes end during haunt.

Yes, I had it last year and got for this coming season. I used it all through Haunt, just doesn't work for Winterfest 

• Thanks 1

I love all the TLC that Cedar Fair is showing Kings Island this year. It's an easy solution to toss a new roller coaster in the park and bring in new people. It's a different beast (no pun intended) altogether to spend a year acknowledging the park's history and the role that nostalgia plays in bringing many back to the park. I get excited for a new coaster like anyone else. But to see a glockenspiel on the Festhaus, The Beast prints on the ground, the return of the Antiques...there's an almost chemical response that hits the same feelings I had when I was a kid in the '80s attending the park with my grandparents. This is what makes me want to come back year after year with my kids and why even though Cedar Point would technically be my "home park" (I live in the Detroit area), I go to Kings Island every year and haven't been to CP in about five. 

• Like 10