Kings Island 2019 Discussion

BeeastFarmer

7 hours ago, homestar92 said:

I've never tried this, but I'm curious. Will KI allow you to scan a QR code from something that isn't the official Kings Island app? I had an idea for my days at the park and I was curious, if I saved an image of my QR code from the app and stored it on a smartwatch, would they scan that and let me in? I see no reason why not since my picture will appear on their terminal and there's no way I can cheat the system or anything, I just have never tried it and am curious if anyone else has.

My idea is to get a smartwatch that supports Google Pay and then I could basically leave my phone and wallet in the car and still do anything and everything I could ever need to do inside the park! I don't know that I'd want to be without my phone on an all-day trip, but for those spur-of-the-moment after work trips when I don't have my zipper shorts, it could be a great idea for a quick little two hour trip without fear of losing my phone due to lack of zipper pockets.

Yes.  We have our passes in our Apple Wallets on our phones and it works perfectly!

Well neat. Now the only thing to sort out is connecting my watch to the park Wi-Fi so I can leave my phone in the car and still have limited messaging capability. I don't really want to pay for a data plan for a watch when the only place I'd need it is KI (I'm less likely to visit other parks on a whim after work and therefore not have zipper shorts, so at other parks, I can bring in my phone).

Since the park's Wi-Fi has that captive portal login page, connecting a smartwatch to it is an issue. It really shouldn't be, since WearOS and Samsung Gear both have web browsers available that could get past that, but stupidly, all of the major smartwatch OSes will disconnect from Wi-Fi immediately if there is a captive portal. So I'm not sure how to best go about getting it connected. Am I correct in my recollection that you only see the login screen once per season? If so, I think there are probably ways to get that done. I'm assuming that if I brought a laptop and spoofed my MAC address to match my watch for long enough to get connected that I could then use my watch all year.

(Paging @malem. Maybe there's a better way that I'm not thinking of. This seems like the sort of thing in your wheelhouse.)

• Like 1

Just got back from a few-hour KI trip and it was great! I was mostly there for Spiritsong (specifically Crowder), but before the show, my step-dad and I took in the sights (and the food) as we walked around I-Street and ended up at Festhaus. I was really excited to show him around as he hadn't been to KI in years and he seemed to like what he'd seen. We noticed that Carnivale was much more active today as there were stilt walkers and a mime, along with shows at the China and Italy stages. Speaking of Carnivale, I grabbed an Adventure Club Challenge Guide on the way in the park, which I planning on completing this weekend (haven't decided if I'm going back to KI Saturday or Sunday).

On to the concert itself: Crowder and his band* put on a great show and played a lot of songs from their newest record "I know a Ghost". This was interesting as some of them were new to me, but it was nice to sing along with the words on the screen. Because they included more songs from their latest album, the song order was switched up from what I was used to (and the show seemed longer that the last Crowder show I attended). At the last show, they opened with the triple threat of "Run Devil Run"/"Prove It"/"Wildfire" (and at last year's SpiritSong, they opened with the first two songs and then, IIRC, "All You Burdens"), but tonight, they opened with "Run Devil Run" and then did "Glorious Day" (and spread out Prove It and Wildfire among the setlist). They also played songs like "Red Letters", "All my Hope", "Come as you are", "How he loves"  and "Lift Your Head Weary Sinner" (after which I was surprised the show wasn't over as they sometimes close with this song -they actually closed with a medley of "I saw the Light" and "I'll fly away"). I'm sorry for the rambling and TMI, but I really enjoyed the show. :D

Also, the weather pretty much held out, except it did rain partway through the set but it cleared up by the end. My step-dad and I both had a great time tonight and both of us bought a shirt at the end.

*Speaking of the band, it looked like they may have a new guitarist/fiddle guy as I didn't recognize him from last time. Also, Todd (one of the drummers/percussion) is my favorite member of the backing band (Fun Fact: He used to be in a band called Caedmon's Call back in the day).  

EDIT: And... I saw @Magenta Lizard, @pianoman and @CreedBratton after making it through Security.

• Like 3

As a platinum pass holder who went to most of the chain this year, I have a lot of Cedar Fair apps on my phone.

With the rainy weather, I've received push notifications of early closing for parks, and more commonly water parks from the other parks...
But my home park, Kings Island, rarely uses the app push notifications.

Example, Thursday evening we head over to the park to grab dinner, play Pokemon, experience carnival. With the concert for spirit song going on, the parking lot is packed... It's 540, so we decided we can just park by and enter via Soak City. Great plan, except we have to get all the way to the gate before being told that soak is closing at 6 and we have to get out. I'm not mad that they close early on rainy days... But when I see so many other parks using the app the send out notifications ahead of time, I'm frustrated KI can't do the same...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guys (and gals), the park is packed today! When I walked in, the line for the 1:30 showing of Gravity was almost to the wheelchair rental stand. Also, Bat’s line was before the valley (but moved at an ok pace) and was longer when I got off. So I’m just walking around and people watching till Carnivale. Despite the crowds, though, I am have no a good time; I won a Veggie Tales DVD as well as did an Electabuzz Raid. 

EDIT: Racer’s line is using a few switchbacks.

• Like 1

Weird issues last night. Obviously, Diamondback being down sucked. Especially since SpiritSong Saturday is probably the single day with the highest number of non-passholders who don't get to come more than once a year. Worst possible day to have a flagship ride down the entire day.

Aside from that, I was on The Vortex train that got e-Stopped at the top of the lift for about 10 minutes. Didn't get an evac, so that was a bummer. After that, I rode Woodstock Express and halfway up the lift, the lift hill light went out. When we got back to the station, all the lights were out and the crew was loading the next train by flashlights. Oddly, the ride controls, lift, and on-ride photo camera all worked fine. The only thing that quit working was the lights. Weird.

• Like 1

Mystic was weird today. Didn't get to ride it last week, so I was excited to get another try today. Don't recall the voice over on the lifehill and there was no wait going into the shed. No radio or Coke machine light. Nothing happened on the projector either as we went straight into and out of the shed as if it was just regular track. Wonder if something was up?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Codyfryguy said:

Could it be due to the storms we've been having recently? maybe lightning struck somthing that is causing these problems

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Was at the park today and can confirm the lightning idea. Have no more information than that lightning hit the park a few days ago, but I over-heard a worker on MT tell a rider that is the situation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, homestar92 said:

Weird issues last night. Obviously, Diamondback being down sucked. Especially since SpiritSong Saturday is probably the single day with the highest number of non-passholders who don't get to come more than once a year. Worst possible day to have a flagship ride down the entire day.

Aside from that, I was on The Vortex train that got e-Stopped at the top of the lift for about 10 minutes. Didn't get an evac, so that was a bummer. After that, I rode Woodstock Express and halfway up the lift, the lift hill light went out. When we got back to the station, all the lights were out and the crew was loading the next train by flashlights. Oddly, the ride controls, lift, and on-ride photo camera all worked fine. The only thing that quit working was the lights. Weird.

That explains why Vortex was down when I went to try to ride around 10:45ish last night...

BTW, yesterday was absolutely incredible! Ride Bat (and a night ride on AE after Carnivale ended) ,got an Electivire and a Gastrodon, heard some of Ledger’s set, won a Veggie Tales DVD, did Carnivale things, went to hear Skillet on the Effial Tower and came down to a straight up party on the bandstand (aka Hot Rhythm Nights)!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

That explains why Vortex was down when I went to try to ride around 10:45ish last night...

Yeah, from what the ride ops told us when they climbed the lift to check on everyone, the ride e-stopped. So either some sensor malfunctioned and didn't think the next block was clear or else someone shook the gates and e-stopped the ride. That definitely can happen and that's why the ride ops are so persnickety about not shaking the gates. If they get jostled enough that the sensor detects them as open, it will e-stop the ride.

• Like 3

Question for everyone. Now that we're in the month of June, are people liking the new fountains more or is it still mixed feelings? I was thinking once they started getting all the sprinklers running correctly that maybe people would like them more. I hear it's a big success with the new night time show though.

As someone who got a season pass for the first time in 5 years, I am actually very pleasantly surprised with the general improvements around the park. It feels so much better to just walk around again even though the area around Flight of Fear has seen better days at the moment, but hopefully the new ride will give incentive to spruce up that area as well.

• Like 1